Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
weight loss

80s Forum: weight loss
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: weight loss

Post weight loss

Seems like no ones been in here posting for a while. I'm going back on my diet tomorrow. Was hard to watch my eating habits when things got really bad for me. Making a new start of it tomorrow. I figure this is a good place to come for needed support during this process.

Queen of Fluff
    sister of Ther & Ty in the sisterhood
    Water Elemental of the 80s Xchange Coven

Goddess of Caffienated Beverages

I truly wish you the best of luck, Jazzy. It is so hard to lose weight and constantly feel inspired to stay on the right track.

I really can not offer you anything but my full support and maybe some interesting recipes if you run out of inspiration for light meals.

Are you going to follow any specific program?

It's important to have support... Jazzy, you can do anything you put your mind to it.... I've lost about 18 lbs since Feb. The toughest part is just starting... but once you get into a routine, it makes it easier. I also exercised when ever I could and if not, I tried to take walks.

I bascially cut out ALL snacking, if I do it's a piece of fruit or some veggies. I cut my carb intake a bit some but not totally. Vitamins are good too and DRINK 8 big glasses of water a day... that's key.

I wish you luck and we're here for support!
    Last edited by Taz; 6-01-02 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks for the input. My thing is trying to switch to diet pop. Hard for me to do. lol I am drinking more water too. Going to start getting some exercise on monday. Been trying to do some walking when I can.

Thanks for idea of recipes Pippi. I'll keep it in mind.

Queen of Fluff

I know you may not want to hear it but Pop or Soda isn't good for you.

I cut out soda intake to having it once or twice a month and I've noticed a big change in how I feel. I drink juice or water and it's helped me out a lot. It's just a suggestion, cause I know everyone is different.

Jazzmyn,
    Drinking water is good because the water takes up room in your stomach so you feel fuller. You should try to drink at least a couple of liters, if not more, every day. Have a big glass about 20 minutes before a meal, and you'll eat less.
    Also, one trick I have is to to not only brush my teeth after a meal, but also mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Because it is kind of sweet, it triggers some response in your brain which suppresses your appetite a little and you're less likely to need a snack. Plus, food tastes crappy after you've brushed, right!?
    Walking is great- I had gotten up to 155 lbs. and lost 35 lbs in about seven months just from walking to and from my train- about 20 minutes each way. Don't get discouraged, it's frustrating not to see the results right away, but for me it took almost two months before I even lost anything, and then I was on a roll and it was easier. Good luck!!
    "It's not the way you wear your hair, but what's inside your head"~ Henry Rollins

I know you're right Taz. Just can't give up my pop cold turkey though!!! lol I am cutting back on the amount I drink though.

Queen of Fluff

You're right. I have a lecture for all the frequent pop drinkers out there.

Originally posted by Taz
    I know you may not want to hear it but Pop or Soda isn't good for you.

I cut out soda intake to having it once or twice a month and I've noticed a big change in how I feel. I drink juice or water and it's helped me out a lot. It's just a suggestion, cause I know everyone is different.
    I agree. Pop is also bad for our teeth. It causes MANY cavities, depending on how often a person drinks it. It also causes demineralization, which is the first step towards developing a cavity. Demineralization will show up as white marks along the gumline and as it progresses the white marks turn brown and eventually become a cavity. I see A LOT of this and it's not pretty. These marks permanently disfigure the teeth and there is no way of getting rid of these marks unless it progresses into a cavity and the dentist replaces the damaged area with a filling. Bleaching or using any other cosmetic procedure will not remove these unsightly marks. Diet (sugarless) pop is bad also because all pop contains ACID which literally erodes the enamel on our teeth. Even too much juice will cause the same problems because it contains acid as well. It's best to eat fruit and cut back on fruit juices. Everybody is different (some people have stronger teeth than others), but generally people who frequently drink pop and/or juice throughout the day will have sensitive teeth as well.

Believe me, soda puts A LOT of money in the dentist's pocket!!!

I would just like to thank you for using your post as an opportunity to lecture of all of the frequent pop/juice drinkers out there.

I wish you all the best in your goals. Losing weight is a very difficult thing to do. The proof is the millions of dollars spent by consumers buying weight-loss products however our society still struggles with this issue. First of all don't set yourself up to reach an unrealistic goal. Don't compare yourself to the models/celebrities you see in magazines or television. I know it's hard to do but just remember you can't compete with a picture that has been 'airbrushed' or 'retouched' by a computer to make the person look like something they are not.

I'm certainly not an expert but I can share my tips with you. I find drinking lots of water helps (8 cups a day). For dinner I eat meat (a small-medium sized portion, I find meat to be very satisying and gives me that 'full' feeling) and a variety of vegetables, usually two of them and then I'll also have a small potato. When I eat lots of starches such as pasta and bread I put on weight. Cutting back on bread and pasta and eating a meat and vegetables (with a small potato) meal instead causes my bodyfat percentage to drop. Of course staying away from high fat foods and sweets help also. I also eat a lot of fruit. It's important to get calcium so I also eat low-fat yogurt and I make yogurt shakes as well. Yogurt shakes are filling and it's the perfect breakfast for someone on the go. I also like to eat whole grain (high in fiber) cereals but I find the yogurt shakes keep me feeling full longer then eating cereal. I drink milk as well but I only drink skim milk. It took me awhile to get used to it.

I tried meal replacements, protein drinks, etc. from GNC but I find it tastes horrible and it's expensive. I prefer to eat real food, it tastes better!!

Diet is important but so is exercise. Exercise is good for many reasons. It's a great way to relieve stress and it will help you sleep better. I know you have been thorough a lot lately because I have read your posts. I don't have any magical words to help you, I wish I did. I hope you are getting lots of support from your friends and family to help you through this difficult time in your life. Take care
    Last edited by BBG; 6-06-02 at 12:53 PM.

I couldn't find the previous post where I told you all that I was beginning exercising. I have been completely faithful, but I've been walking and biking enough that when I last weighed myself, I was at 199. That's the first time in about 5 years I've been under 200 lbs. With more discipline, I'm sure I can lose an additional 15-20 lbs to reach my goals. Wish me luck.

Jazzmyn, I hope you're doing well in reaching your goals as well. Give us an update if you feel like it.
    STEVE Hangin' with my favorite DJs: DJDaffy & Prefab Sprouter!! Surfer Swooshing buddy to ImSoooSure, the penguin protector I found Harket! He's moved and looking for a new job. He may come back. I hope it's soon! Now listening to DJ LEX

The past month hasn't been to good for me. Depression will do that. Back on track this week. Already lost 2 pounds since Sunday. Figure that's a good start.

Queen of Fluff

Awesome Jazzy. Keep it up!
    STEVE Hangin' with my favorite DJs: DJDaffy & Prefab Sprouter!! Surfer Swooshing buddy to ImSoooSure, the penguin protector I found Harket! He's moved and looking for a new job. He may come back. I hope it's soon! Now listening to DJ LEX

thanks. You too Greenway.

Queen of Fluff

Good luck Greenway and Jazzy! That's great that you're doing this. My husband and I both gained 30 lbs after we married. They always say that happens too! Anyway, we took it off over a year period and have kept it off for 3 years now. The main things I did was cut out soft drinks like everyone else here says. I don't eat fast food for lunch. That was a bad one for me. Drink lots of water, again like everyone has said. I exercised a lot in school and then quit. I had to ease myself back into it but be very faithful. At night I made myself do situps or weight resistance exercises. I had to build it up from there. Now I really enjoy it. I listen to great music and do whatever exercising I feel like doing. Dancing all around like I did in high school really works up a good sweat. It's pretty funny too. I had to force myself not to sit around either. Everytime I would plop myself in front of the TV I would either get up and do something else laundry, dishes, vaccum, file my nails, brush my dogs, organize photos...anything to keep busy. It really worked. I wasn't hungry I just ate anyway. My husband lost the weight instantly! It took me the full year. Anyway, lots of luck to both of you. I'll be checking in on the progress frequently.
    ...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things."

Have you hugged your penguin today?

Thanks Lisa. Hard sometimes to get out of that chair.

Queen of Fluff

Yep, thanks Lisa.

Good luck guys!! I have lost about 20lbs in the past year. Its taken a loong time. It seemed after the first 10, it was almost impossible to keep losing........

*NO fast-food! At all. (God I would kill for a cheeseburger though!)
    *My last meal is at least 6 hours before I go to bed. Those late night belly bombers and snacks catch up to you.
    *Fill up on water, all day. If you have a snack, chase it with lots of water....

Also, one trick I have is to to not only brush my teeth after a meal, but also mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Because it is kind of sweet, it triggers some response in your brain which suppresses your appetite a little and you're less likely to need a snack. Plus, food tastes crappy after you've brushed, right!?
    Now thats something I've never thought of...cool!

Now I think I'm in maintenance mode, trying not to revert to my "old self"...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! It's a great thing!

Yeah, I know about the weight loss thing too. I have been there. I took off 65 pounds. What Det. Ricardo said is true. Cut out all the Fast Food joints (and I love them cheeseburgers too) and drink plenty of water. Make that your main source of liquids. Cut out the sodas even if they are diet, and eat lots of Tuna, Chicken, Fish, and foods high in Protein, low in saturated fat. It's all in the mind, and you need to keep yourself motivated. And do plenty of excercise or physical activity to inrease the metabolism.
    Brandon in Baltimore, MD

Keep up the good work, Jazz. A co-worker and I have been walking around the building on our breaks at work. I feel it is doing a little good. I really need to start watching what I eat though. Exercise can always make you feel more energized.

That's great that you were able to do all that Brand. I couldn't cut fast food out all together. I really had to cut things out of my diet slowley. I would pick one or two things every 4 to 6 weeks. I started with soft drinks which was the hardest for me. Then it was fast food at lunch time. I also added something good for every bad thing I cut out. Now I eat an apple every morning instead of a big gulp full of pepsi
    Good luck with your exercising Stacy. You'll definately start to feel more energetic!
    ...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things."

Have you hugged your penguin today?

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information