Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Depeche Mode - Speak And Spell (1981)

80s Forum: Depeche Mode - Speak And Spell (1981)

View Poll Results: Depeche Mode - Speak And Spell (1981)

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Life

8 18.60%
  • Puppets

1 2.33%
  • Dreaming Of Me

7 16.28%
  • Boys Say Go!

1 2.33%
  • Nodisco

0 0%
  • What's Your Name?

0 0%
  • Photographic

2 4.65%
  • Tora! Tora! Tora!

3 6.98%
  • Big Muff

0 0%
  • Any Second Now (Voices)

1 2.33%
  • Just Can't Get Enough

20 46.51%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Depeche Mode - Speak And Spell (1981)

Another Depeche Mode poll.

Speak & Spell was their first album and their only album with Vince Clarke. Which song is your favorite?

I voted for New Life, because it is such a happy pop song that always gets me going.

Well, it really has to be Just Can't Get Enough.

Upon saying that, I do like Puppets (the music sounds like the workings of a string puppet, don't you think?) and also Photographic. That two note repetitive synth hook is great. Have you noticed that it is the simplicity of tracks that work the best? Just Can't Get Enough, for example is an incredibly infectious 5 note synth piece, albeit with some notes repeated.
    Last edited by NewRomantic; 6-03-02 at 08:39 AM.

Smile

This was a toss up between "Just Can't Get Enough" and "Dreaming of Me" but I eventually voted for "Dreaming of Me". I remember my sister buying this New Wave album back in the day and this song was on there and I thought it was so cool!!!
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Just Can't Get Enough, but I also really like Dreaming Of Me!
    STEVE Hangin' with my favorite DJs: DJDaffy & Prefab Sprouter!! Surfer Swooshing buddy to ImSoooSure, the penguin protector I found Harket! He's moved and looking for a new job. He may come back. I hope it's soon! Now listening to DJ LEX

Dreaming of Me
    "It's not the way you wear your hair, but what's inside your head"~ Henry Rollins

'Just Can't Get Enough'....close second 'Dreaming of Me' close third 'New Life'....DM had too many good songs...hard to just mention one or even two

I'll have to agree with Pippi. My favorite off this album is New Life...It has such a great pace and the song pulses...

"Dreaming of me". In my opinion that's one of the worst DM albums. And "Just can't get enough" has been SO overplayed... I like dreaming of me, it's an easy but well done song.
    I miss you, Xistenza

I am gonna break the trend of voting on the singles and vote for Tora Tora Tora. Great song and worked really well for Dave live!!

I voted for the happy and upbeat "Just Can't Get Enough"
    Trixter

wavemaster is offline David Hasselhoff reunited Germany in '89
    Stick to da Flix...I have also voted for "Tora Tora Tora!".
    Great song, especially live.

The other songs are also good (of course ).

Q: "I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead"...it wasn't featured on the first release of the German album but I've heard it was on the UK edition. Can anyone tell me more about it? I know that a later release of the CD featured 5 extra tracks, featuring "ISWIWD" and others.

Proud GERMAN member of the "OVE" Club

I had to vote for Photographic because I think this song is overlooked. Dreaming of Me is might be my fav, but sometimes I feel bad that these more popular tracks overshadow their other lesser known songs that are equally as good, or better in some cases.
    "ask me i won't say no, how could i?"

This was my first Depeche Mode album...how ironic....Dreaming of me was the first tune I heard until my best friend Scott played the album for me. I bought it the next day and I have to say it is still one of my favorites. Puppets remains my favorite song from this album.

Originally posted by wavemaster
    Q: "I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead"...it wasn't featured on the first release of the German album but I've heard it was on the UK edition. Can anyone tell me more about it? I know that a later release of the CD featured 5 extra tracks, featuring "ISWIWD" and others.
    Are you doing this to test me Wave?? hehehe

A: Let's see...There is a UK and Australian version of S&S where SWIWD replaced Dreaming Of Me.
    Then there's another UK and Australian version of S&S where ISWIWD is replacing Dreaming Of Me, but Dreaming Of Me is included as one of five bonus tracks. The four other tracks are Ice Machine, Shout, Any Second Now and Just Can't Get Enough (Schizo Mix).

Then there's a Brazilian version of S&S where ISWIWD substitutes Nodisco.

Finally there's a Japanese version where ISWIWD is the 12th track on the CD, but it isn't credited on either sleeve or CD.

I hope that helped you out some Wave.

wavemaster is offline David Hasselhoff reunited Germany in '89
    TY Flix for clearing this up for me...you have passed the test.

Funny...only in the first edition of "Just Can't Get Enough" released by Some Bizarre, the extended version was dubbed as the Schizo Mix here. Later editions featured a different cover (the fluffy white cat had replaced the schizo), and the mix was simply called "Extended", though it was the same. When the rerelease of "The Singles 81 > 85" hitted the shelves here, it was the Schizo Mix again.

The 2nd German CD Edition is similar to the UK Edition, allright (of course, I had to buy both of them, 1st and 2nd ).

Proud GERMAN member of the "OVE" Club

Originally posted by wavemaster
    Funny...only in the first edition of "Just Can't Get Enough" released by Some Bizarre, the extended version was dubbed as the Schizo Mix here. Later editions featured a different cover (the fluffy white cat had replaced the schizo), and the mix was simply called "Extended", though it was the same. When the rerelease of "The Singles 81 > 85" hitted the shelves here, it was the Schizo Mix again.
    That is strange, but there is at least one German print run of the "white cat" cover labelled Schizo Mix. It's tough though, since they never stopped printing the singles. So many different prints and the German versions are the worst, since they were reprinted many many times. I wonder if there will ever be a REAL DM discography or whetehr it is too complex to even begin with because of the many reprints.

The Depeche Moderator strikes again. I have no idea how you know all that. You should make the complete discography, Michael.

I think the Depeche Moderator and my friend Scott could talk for hours about Depeche Mode. Scott had more albums for DM than my entire collection (and my collection was quite impressive). Scott had originals, UK releases, marbel and colored vinyls and more. The greatest thing though was seeing DM in concert with Nitzer Ebb...what a show!!!!!

You should get Scott to post here, nozaz. I am sure he would have fun talking Depeche Mode here with the rest of the fans.

I went for New Life! GReat Song. Just cant get enough is good but way way overplayed!
    http://proudfootband.ie/ - PROUDFOOT Soul and Funk Band!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information