Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
a-ha - Hunting High And Low (1985) - Page 2

80s Forum: a-ha - Hunting High And Low (1985)

View Poll Results: a-ha - Hunting High And Low (1985)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take On Me

23 35.94%
  • Train Of Thought

4 6.25%
  • Hunting High And Low

7 10.94%
  • The Blue Sky

3 4.69%
  • Living A Boy's Adventure Tale

5 7.81%
  • The Sun Always Shines On TV

17 26.56%
  • An You Tell Me

2 3.13%
  • Love Is Reason

1 1.56%
  • I Dream Myself Alive

0 0%
  • Here I Stand And Face The Rain

2 3.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I loved the whole album.
    My cousin, (who lives in Norway) used to hang out with Pal.
    I recently checked out the newspaper there (on the internet) and at around christmas time, Mags had donated a tree with all this money on it. I think they had them hanging up on some building. Well, the next day, someone had gone up there and took all the money off the tree. Surprising, because most Norwegians are pretty honest people, according to a readers digest poll.
    Anyway, they showed a picture of him, and he is looking older, but still good.
    I rember going to Norway when I was 16 (1987) and hoping that I was going to run into one of them. I kept looking the whole trip. I'm still single, so obviously I didnt run into Mags. Ha- a-ha.

waking up in the morning is not on my list of things to do.

I voted for "here I stand and face the rain" I love that song runners up "the sun always shines and tv" and "living a boys adventure tale".

Still love this album after all these years.
    "the Hardest thing in this world is to live in it" Buffy (the gift)

Bon Jovi is offline 'Believe it or not' it's just me
    The only Song I've heard From Them Is "Take on Me" That's My Favorite
    I voted for that song.
    My LiveJournal, My MySpace, My Facebook, My Bebo
    My Flixster, My Twitter, My Fanpop, My Last.fm, My DVD's
    "CIA stands for Creeps In Action" -Bill Maxwell "The Greatest American Hero"
    Ralph: Good luck?! is that all I Get?
    Bill: And a watch
    Ralph: You're sending me in there, hotter then a bowl full of chilli. Ralph Hinkley, the walking, talking lightbulb. -"The Greatest American Hero"

Take On Me.

I voted for Take on Me. Awesome song with a really kewl video.

'Take On Me' is the *bestest* video! I was WISHING it was on the DVD 'Pure 80s'... please, please, please, let it be on a sequel!

But here's the order of the songs I like (from that disc):
    • Hunting High And Low
    • Take On Me
    • Here I Stand And Face The Rain
    • Living A Boy's Adventure Tale
    • The Sun Always Shines On TV

But my 'all-time favorites' list includes three from the 'East of the Sun, West of the Moon' disc:
    • Early Morning
    • Crying in the Rain
    • I Call Your Name

Re: a-ha - Hunting High And Low (1985)

My top 5 songs from this album are:

1. The Sun Always Shines On TV
    2. Take On Me
    3. Living A Boy's Adventure Tale
    4. Hunting High And Low
    5. Here I Stand And Face The Rain
    I am back to the future! 80'style! Officialy a Child of the 80's...

"Train Of Thought" was always my fave off that album.

I've been trying to live a boy's adventure tale my whole life.
    "I like you Betty."-Ty Webb "It's Danny, Sir."-Danny Noonan

RedHotChiliPapa's Space

Take on me!
    <-- looks like singing

I loved 'Take On Me', 'Sun Always Shines' 'The Blue Sky' and 'Dream Myself Alive'.

'Train Of Thought' is one of my fav A-ha songs, but the remixed and released 1986 single version on 'Headlines And Deadlines - The Hits Of A-ha' is the version I prefer, it is a million times better than the album version.
    Stalker of TC and Jen
    Milani's partner in Crime
    Official supplier of Officially Crap UK music to DJDaffy
    Stalker of BrandyBlue

Talking Re: a-ha - Hunting High And Low (1985)

Take On Me & The Sun Always Shines On TV!

The Sun always Shines on T.V.

On this A-Ha album my favorites in order are:

1. "Hunting High And Low"
    2. "The Sun Always Shines On TV"
    2. "Take On Me"
    4. "Here I Stand And Face The Rain"
    5. "Living A Boy's Adventure Tale"
    Cool TRIVIA: If watched in their entirety back to back the video "The Sun Always Shines On TV' is the continuation of the video "Take On Me"
    Musically, I love the video ending better of "Take On Me" than the studio radio release/CD version! More dramatic and it reminds me more of the video!
    "He knew then and there the friendship they had shared since youth had died a sudden and tragic death.Destroyed by the love of a woman"
    "There can't be a winner! If there isn't a river!
    "What are we waiting for? "Just a few indecent thoughts....okay!"

I voted for "And You Tell Me".

A short one, but I love it- I love the schizophrenic child-like sound, the drip-drip noises make it sound more human and bedsit-esque. And the lyrics "I'm trying hard to make you jealous, trying harder to make you stay".

I nearly chose "Train of Thought" or "Blue Skies".

here's my full review anyhow

Of all my loves of synth-80's music bands, I have a special place in my heart for the Norwegian trio of A-Ha: Pal Waaktaar, Magne Furuholmen and lead singer Morten Harket. Their music was eclectic and soulfelt, and even their b-sides and album filler were crafted with pride and art, and they made Music Videos to die for (I will review their music video collection very soon).

To this day, their first album, released back in 1985 remains an indispensible pop classic.

Track List:

1. Take On Me (3:46)
    2. Train of Thought (4:11)
    3. Hunting High And Low (3:43)
    4. The Blue Sky (2:22)
    5. Living A Boy's Adventure Tale (5:00)
    6. The Sun Always Shines On T.V. (5:06)
    7. And You Tell Me (1:51)
    8. Love is a Reason (3:04)
    9. I Dream Myself Alive (3:06)
    10. Here I Stand and Face The Rain (4:30)

Take On Me

Now this is a great start to an album. It was a hit single back in the day and even today it is loved even by people who can't stand 80's music.

With that kind of happy and fast synthesiser pattern that wouldn't seem out of place on a racing sports program, everyone instantly recognises this song. Admittedly at first, when I heard it on the radio or the retro nightclub I thought it was just cheese and had no time for the song.....

.....And then one day when the video was repeated, and I was sitting down, I actually listened to the lyrics. It is strange that hardly anyone comments on the lyrics of the song- it's a song about the end of teenage years, where teenage friends and secret crushes you've known for so long are parting ways and going on different paths now and this is perhaps your last chance to confess how you feel to the girl of your dreams. But you've come of age now, where angst and nervousness and insecurities are fading and optimism and confidence somehow suddenly outshines it all.

"So needless to say
    I'm odds at ends
    but my fears are stumbling away
    slowly learning that life is okay"

It is such a beautiful vibe and always raises a smile whenever I hear it, and I don't believe I will ever hear another band which covers this song with the same pride, craft and emotion as A-Ha did.

Train Of Thought

This one continues in the same vein as "Take On Me" with a fast paced, fluctuating yet leveled out work on the rain pattering keyboards hitting the joival highnotes, with a nice wood flute thrown in for good measure and a comfortably fast drum rhythm. Yes it keeps level until it just positively bursts with a chorus that can be best described as a rollercoaster, where it all suddenly turns to high speed and high peaks and adrenaline rush, before gently arching back to level. I firmly believe that making a good chorus to a song has become a lost art in recent times.

Somewhere in the obscure lyrics is a story of an average commuting yuppie's day in the big city. About the hidden dreams beneath the worker, the individuality beneath the uniform. What the hell- it sounds great! I always nod my head to it, I've replayed it more than any other song on the album, and I love the imagery in the lyrics:

"And his thoughts were full of strangers
    going down some naked light
    and his mind was full of reason
    now there's more than meets the eye"

* Incidentally there's a remix version of this song on their Greatest Hits album- "Headlines and Deadlines", which is the same tune for the most part, but a lot more echoing and layered and with far greater memento.

Hunting High And Low

After the upbeat and fast tempo of the songs so far, we then unplug the synthesisers and dip into a wonderful piece of Opera of violent passion, of lost chances at love, of soul churning obsession, of tranquil and gentle acoustic guitar music building up slowly before being stung by dramatic violin strokes. The vocals carry the song wonderfully, flowing beautifully from gentle indie to furious power ballad. It also doesn't hurt that we have some fine lyrics about chances of love wripped from your grasp, about when reality lives up to your dreams.

I'm fairly sure this was one A-Ha song that raised the eyebrows of the James Bond filmmakers who saw their potential for making flareing and dramatic music and employed them to do the theme to the 1987 film "The Living Daylights" (superb action film by the way).

The Blue Sky

We return immediately to synthesiser heaven here on wailing highs in a song about after the break-up. About searchiong for a new partner and how heartache feeds inadequacy and self-doubt and leads to enduring rejections and humiliations repeatedly. Somehow it doesn't come across as self-pitying, but more as lyrics which search for the right way to be. Melodically it is atmospheric and has some nice fluctuations and lingers, and if it sounds a bit samey after two and a half minutes, its probably only because most of the rest of the album is so fluctuating.

And You Tell Me

The gentlest song on the album, and the shortest, using the most minimalist of instrumentation- all we get is a synthesiser and slow melody- leaving aside the drums and guitars. That's right, there's no beat, just background slow synth music to support the contemplative lyrics. A bit like "Louise" by The Human League. The lyrics really capture the feelings, longings, the vies for attention and disrupted daily routines of a failing relationship. Its a lovely song with that nice touch of ordinariness, and its a shame it lasts less than two minutes and then ends.

The Sun Always Shines On T.V.

I'm skipping I know, but I thought I'd jump ahead to what's most familiar of A-Ha's discography. Some of the more attentive fans of A-Ha would choose this song as their favourite A-Ha song over "Take on Me" In fact I think of this as the antithesis of "Take on Me". I say antithesis because not only is the song's lyrics pessimistic but the vocals are aiming for descents rather than peaks, thundering wails rather than soft cheers.

Listening beyond the drum machine, there are many layers of instruments to the song- pianos, violing, organs.... all crafting a deep, gothic, lingering, fluctuating and descending melody. Its a dark song indeed with lyrics ambiguous enough to be relateable to anyone unhappy with their life, their job, their school, their relationship, their family tragedy, their neighbourhood or their courtcase. He never says what is wrong, but that he can't find any solace in his soul right now and he needs sexual healing.

* Another incidental point: on the old LP single of this song, there is a gentle B-side track called "Driftwood" with a lovely journey of life atmosphere and lyrics about losing the integrity of being headstrong.

Although that song isn't here, there's plenty of other tracks for the rest of the album to support the notion that A-Ha take pride even in the B-sides and Album filler that they write. I could describe the rest of the album as more of the same synth music, but those tracks are no less danceable for it with little moments of lyrical food for thought, and even moments of experimental and refreshing blends of industrial cold steel with sparkling watercolour notes.

I could be comprehensive and write more, but I'd be compromising my snappy review layout in the process, so lets just say that I don't at all regret buying this over the Greatest Hits collection, and would you believe I bought it on a half price sale? I'd give every single song on the album at least four stars, and the majority of them would get five stars. It is a marvelous, fully complete and timeless album, I would recommend it at the drop of a hat.

Great review You should put this in the review thread

And yes - "Driftwood" is certainly a great song aswell

Take on me is still my favourite

The Sun Always Shines on TV gets my vote. I loved the black and white images in the video

Hmmm, overall I'd probably pick "Sun Alway Shines on T.V."; love the build up at the beginning and the strings throughout (synth or not).

Kryllith

Smile Re: a-ha - Hunting High And Low (1985)

i bought that album on cassette, i was a big fan of the group, it was tough to vote but i went for train of thought. great band, and i must admit to singing along at the top of my voice in my Ford Cortina, but i made sure all the windows were wound up.
    Last edited by crossfire; 10-04-04 at 04:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information