Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Which John Hughes Movie? - Page 2

80s Forum: Which John Hughes Movie?

View Poll Results: Which John Hughes movie soundtrack is the best?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sixteen Candles

5 10.42%
  • The Breakfast Club

14 29.17%
  • Pretty In Pink

21 43.75%
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off

7 14.58%
  • Weird Science

0 0%
  • Some Kind of Wonderful

1 2.08%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Breakfest Club if for only "Don't You Forget About Me".What a great song.
    Take me back to the 80's!

80'saholic!

fan of all thing's horror
    especially vampires

Pretty In Pink is a much better collection than the others. Echo and the Bunnymen - Bring On The Dancing Horses, New Order - Shellshock, Suzanne Vega and Joe Jackson - Left Of Center, OMD - If You Leave, INXS - Do Wot You Do, The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want, Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink, plus songs by Jesse Johnson and Belouis Some. There's no contest.

I don't recognize any of the songs from Breakfast Club besides Don't You (Forget About Me). Sixteen Candles had If You Were Here - Thompson Twins and True - Spandau Ballet.

Where was Weird Science on the poll? That soundtrack includes songs by Oingo Boingo, General Public (Tenderness), Killing Joke, Lords Of The New Church, Wall Of Voodoo, Broken Homes and Kim Wilde.
    STEVE Hangin' with my favorite DJs: DJDaffy & Prefab Sprouter!! Surfer Swooshing buddy to ImSoooSure, the penguin protector I found Harket! He's moved and looking for a new job. He may come back. I hope it's soon! Now listening to DJ LEX

all of them have good songs on each so its quite hard todecide but ill go with pretty in pink
    BIG FAN OF 80S MUSIC

FOREIGNER ROCKS!!

[big big fan of Horror] = long live Freddy Krueger

::::MARGARET:::

Definitely Pretty in Pink. It has the most good songs on it.
    **Official Stalker of the musically omniscient TJ**
    **Stalked by the fantabulous OPC**
    **Mutual admirer of DJDaffy, my dream man**

I will give you every penny's worth, but it will cost you a dollar first.
    alli on facebook

I'm with "totallycait" on this one and for the record Ferris didn't have an official Soundtrack, although they should have. This movie introduced bands such as Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Big Audio Dynamite to the world of 80s music.

The Breakfast Club is a very close second in my book....

ISY

Pretty In Pink for me just for the song ''If you leave'' by OMD!!

That good old JS, an 80s lover in the past & for years to come!!

Out of these soundtracks I'd have to go for Pretty In Pink - but my fave John Hughes soundtrack is the one to Some Kind of Wonderful
    "Never eat more than you can lift"
    -Miss Piggy

I voted for Pretty In Pink because that is the only one that I have heard. I do want the Breakfast Club and Some kind of Wonderful, only becaue I have heard some really good things about them.
    "I have never seen so much polyester in such a confined space"

I'd have to say 'Pretty in Pink' is the best overall

Also added Weird Science and Some Kind of Wonderful to the poll since they were mentioned...

SAVE FERRIS!!!!
    BON JOVI ROCK!!

---------------------
    No.1 ALIAS fan
    ---------------------

One of my favorite song called ''Fire in the Twilight'' by Wang Chung is on BC soundtrack but I still prefer Pretty in Pink for some reasons!!

That good old JS, an 80s lover in the past & for years to come!!

Re: Which John Hughes Movie?

Breakfast Club Sndtrk

I really liked that song Fire in the Twilight by Wang Chung. I remember seeing the music video for it, but I don't remember any chart action for the song itself

Speaking of The Breakfast Club, I loved the spoof in the 2001 movie Not Another Teen Movie. Paul Gleason returned as Principal Richard Vernon in a cameo role

"Shut your hole Wang Chung!"

Pretty In Pink

Ayla is offline I'm back.did ya miss me, lie if u have 2

Pretty in Pink.......I just love the Furs
    AYLA
    OK I'm back .........what have i missed fill me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In Loving memory of my dad who passed away July 4,2008. Miss you terribly

Pretty In Pink - if only for the song 'If You Leave' by OMD...what an amazing song!
    Always an 80's girl! // I Sold My Soul To Rock 'N Roll // Don't Let Real Rock Die
    Stalkee of Ted Nugent!
    Stalker of the charming and sweet Guancho!
    Adopted by Pagan!
    Dad - I love you now & always. 1945 - 2002...RIP
    If wantin' the good life is such a crime...Lord, then put me away!
    - Poison, "Nothing But A Good Time"
    My teachers didn't like me
    They always tried to put me down
    'Cause I wore my hair too long
    I played my music way too loud
    - Bon Jovi, "Blame It On The Love Of Rock 'N Roll"

Tough one this and for more than the most obvious differences . . .

I know about the lack of soundtrack album for Ferris, but it my imagination or was there no soundtrack album release for Wierd Science and a very cut-down release for Sixteen Candles?

If you can cobble together the disparate tracks that make up the Ferris soundtrack, it's great. I still can't find the Blue Room track, but it's about the only one I'm missing. Particular favourites are Beat City by the Flowerpot Men and the instrumentals - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want by the Dream Academy and March Of The Swivelheads by the Beat (otherwise known as the English Beat).

Breakfast Club's kinda cool. The 12" of Don't You is great, as is the 12" special remix of Fire In The Twilight. A couple of great instrumentals, but the whole package doesn't really stand up quite so well without the visuals.

I always thought I was being short-changed with the Pretty In Pink soundtrack - and I know it's only a minor thing - but putting a cover of Nik Kershaw's Wouldn't It Be Good by the risible Danny Hutton Hitters on it was unforgiveable, licencing rights or no. Left Of Centre is a fantastic track, as is Shellshock. Never really say the point of If You Leave though - just didn't do anything for me.

And talking of being hard done by, why couldn't the Some Kind Of Wonderful soundtrack include Abuse by Propaganda (the opening track)? It's got enough Stephen "Tea Towel" Duffy on it to choke a camel. Either way, Can't Help Falling In Love by Lick The Tins is a lovely take on the Elvis track. Who else would've liked to have seen how Back To The Future would've turned out in that alternate universe where Eric Stoltz was Marty mcFly?

And somewhat off topic - how the hell did MCA have the balls to release the Secret Of My Success soundtrack without the 2 biggest tracks of the film on it - Oh Yeah by Yellow and Walking On Sunshine by Katrina And The Waves?

It's outrageous. If I had the time or the inclination I'd protest, but I really can't be arsed.
    Last edited by the-chauffeur; 9-22-04 at 07:55 PM.

Cool Re: Which John Hughes Movie?

ALL are great but "The Breakfast Club" really stands the test of time! Still find myself watching it when re-run on TV a LITTLE bit more than the others!
    "He knew then and there the friendship they had shared since youth had died a sudden and tragic death.Destroyed by the love of a woman"
    "There can't be a winner! If there isn't a river!
    "What are we waiting for? "Just a few indecent thoughts....okay!"

His best work was in Breakfast Club

MOVIE: Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Soundtrack: Without a doubt PIP ... excellent songs top to bottom.

Thou it was hard to pick a favorite movie of his since ... well with him being born in Lansing, Michigan and all.

What I forgot to mention was just how, ahem, dull Hughes is (or rather, sounds).

As far as I know, the only one of his films with a commentary is Ferris. I had really high hopes for this - bearing in mind his 80s body of work, I was expecting something really good, anecdotes, funnies etc.

All I can say is very, very disappointing. He sounds desperately dull to the point of being detached from the whole process which I find a little sad. He should take a leaf out of Joel Schumacher's book - his commentary on St.Elmo's was very good and he obviosly had a ball making that film.

Still, like everything else, it's just a job at the end of the day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information