Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Zapp

80s Forum: Zapp

Thread: Zapp

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

Zapp

Those of you who love funk will love Zapp. From Dayton Ohio including brothers Roger, Larry, Lester and Tony Troutman. Roger was shot to death in a murder/suicide by his brother Larry in 1999. They charted 16 songs between 1980-1999 including the #1 single "Dance floor (part 1)". I think the most popular of their songs would be "More bounce to the ounce". "Computer love" was also a classic. Roger and Zapp were pioneers of electronic music making the vo-corder a must for early rap and funk acts. You may also remember Roger from his solo songs "I want to be your man", and "Boom! there she was" with Scritti Politti. Zapp influenced many bands and rappers who folowed. They were sampled by EPMD and 2Pac and countless other acts. In fact Roger was featured in 2Pac's classic "California love". I personally love Zapp and Roger, How about you?

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Re: Zapp

Originally posted by djdaffy1227
    Roger was shot to death in a murder/suicide by his brother Larry in 1999.
    Oh Brother!!! That sucks.

My favorite by Zapp is Doo Wa Ditty (Blow This Thing). I liked Roger, by himself a little better, especially I Want To Be Your Man and his unique cover of I Heard It Through The Grapevine. His work with Scritti Politti was interesting, too.
    STEVE Hangin' with my favorite DJs: DJDaffy & Prefab Sprouter!! Surfer Swooshing buddy to ImSoooSure, the penguin protector I found Harket! He's moved and looking for a new job. He may come back. I hope it's soon! Now listening to DJ LEX

I liked Doo Wah Ditty but I started to hate Be your man along with secret lovers, it seems that was the only to songs they would play on the radio back then. One song I like from Roger is Do it Roger Do it. Their greatest hits CD still goes for $14.00.
    I even here some of their beats in christian songs and that famous roger sound but "More Bounce" is still the bomb. come to find out Bootsy Collins co-produce that song

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Zapp.

The guy is a great musician who in my opinion
    is close to Prince as far as versatility.

Listen closely to Zapp's guitar playing.

Funky as hell and tight!

Did I say Zapp?

I love Zapp too but I really meant to say that

Roger's guitar playing is killer.

My bad.......

Listen to "Do It Roger".

Holy s**t.

I love Zapp and Roger. I have volume I and II of their greatest hits on cd.

My favorite solo Roger hit is "Emotions". I thought his solo cd -Bridging the Gap- was out of print but I picked up a copy on eBay.
    Sarasunshine *smile*

......The 1980's

~*OFFICIAL STALKER OF BISHBUD*~

Its funny about the song "More Bounce" thats the only Funk song I know that only uses a couple of words in the song to make a hit. "WOW"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djdaffy1227
    Those of you who love funk will love Zapp. From Dayton Ohio including brothers Roger, Larry, Lester and Tony Troutman. Roger was shot to death in a murder/suicide by his brother Larry in 1999. They charted 16 songs between 1980-1999 including the #1 single "Dance floor (part 1)". I think the most popular of their songs would be "More bounce to the ounce". "Computer love" was also a classic. Roger and Zapp were pioneers of electronic music making the vo-corder a must for early rap and funk acts. You may also remember Roger from his solo songs "I want to be your man", and "Boom! there she was" with Scritti Politti. Zapp influenced many bands and rappers who folowed. They were sampled by EPMD and 2Pac and countless other acts. In fact Roger was featured in 2Pac's classic "California love". I personally love Zapp and Roger, How about you?
    there is a very long version of 'heard it through the grapevine' that must be at least 9 min. long. does anyone know how i can find that song? or does anyone out there even know what version i'm talking about?

As I have said before I love the funk but I do not know much about Zapp. I can only think of two songs of theres I have heard Dance Floor part 1 and More Bounce to the oune. I got some work to do. The only thing else I know about this subject is that more bounce to the ounce has been sampled A LOT!

Zapp full length songs...

All The Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 & More

The New Zapp IV U

http://www.xsao.net/Urban/3Urban/Zapp/

Note: copy link and paste in browser.

Dan

I love Zapp/Gap Band/Roger....all great bands of 70s 80s

I remember Roger's solo hit I Want to Be Your Man

Quote Originally Posted by whistledog View Post
    I remember Roger's solo hit I Want to Be Your Man
    My Ringtone and my song, so hypnotic Roger was with he Talkbox sound, and that song's lyrics speaks for me when i can't speak it myself when it comes to the ladies.

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

Roger and the Talk box, 20 years ahead of Lil Wayne, T-Pain and Akon!

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Quote Originally Posted by djdaffy1227 View Post
    Roger and the Talk box, 20 years ahead of Lil Wayne, T-Pain and Akon!
    and they don't even do what roger does, roger never used "plugins" but patches in his synthesizer to give that hypnotic sound.

Roger used proper vocoder, modern plastic 'RnB' fodder artists use the dreaded 'AutoTune' (AutoOUTofTune?) which is not talkbox/vocoder.
    All it does is attempt (badly in most cases) to 'mask' poor singing ability.

Anyway, back to Zapp - 'It Doesn't Matter' and 'Computer Love' are the big tunes for me...

Thread Information