Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

80's One Hit Wonders - Page 4

80s Forum: 80's One Hit Wonders
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: 80's One Hit Wonders (mistakes)

Your home made definition of a one hit wonder makes for a much bigger list than Billboard's definition as: no second appearance of that acts name on the Hot 100. Even so, you may wish to remove a few.

Enya eventually had a second top 40 hit. Suzanne Vega had two top ten hits, so she definately shouldn't be on the list and with all your reference material, it is hard to see how you missed Tom's Diner. DNA featuring Suzanne Vega, I think it was credited to. Benny Mardones hit #11 and #20 with the same song. That is two top 40 appearances any way you slice it. Tommy Tutone hit #38 ( I think, I don't have any of the books that you had to look through, just my memory) with "Angel say no." Jellybean also doesn't belong on the list as he had Sidewalk Talk with uncredited vocals by Madonna and another girl, and in 1987 hit #17 with Elisa Fiorillo doing vocals on Who Found Who.

This is just off the top of my head, so I may have missed something, but I know that the above is right.

Re: 80's One Hit Wonders

awesome list!!!

I just read your list for the first time since I've been up here, and I am totaly overwhelmed. Wow!! I thought I knew a little something about music, but Man!! You've got me beat by a mile. Very awesome list.!

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

Quote Originally Posted by derekg
    Enya eventually had a second top 40 hit. Suzanne Vega had two top ten hits, so she definately shouldn't be on the list and with all your reference material, it is hard to see how you missed Tom's Diner. DNA featuring Suzanne Vega, I think it was credited to. Benny Mardones hit #11 and #20 with the same song. That is two top 40 appearances any way you slice it. Tommy Tutone hit #38 ( I think, I don't have any of the books that you had to look through, just my memory) with "Angel say no."
    I already made reference to Enya being taken off the list. I believe we made mention of Jellybean needing to be taken off the list. You are right about Suzanne Vega. You are right about Tommy Tutone as well but he isn't on the list posted. Benny Mardones only had one song hit the top 40, it just so happen to hit in two different years, sorry, he's a one hit wonder.

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Quote Originally Posted by superdazdj
    In 1989 Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers did a couple of Rock n roll medleys as I'm sure you will remember with clenched teeth.
    May you hang your head in shame for remembering Jive ****** bunny

Wow, interesting. It really was up with the 60's as regards the most entertaining, versatile and maybe even most provocative especially regarding fashion.
    Nice to have made the top half with Cowboy.
    Please stay in touch. Your a wealth of knowledge.
    Cheers
    Brian

Get Wet - Just So Lonely : 1981 went to No.15 in OZ as far as I know. Were they a one hit wonder anywhere else?
    *Sheree*
    *80sxchange's Official Tsker and Finger Waver

Now you see me & now you don't!!!

Oh Man! What's SHEI doing back!???!
    Facebook[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by derekg View Post
    Your home made definition of a one hit wonder .
    I'm going by a definition started by the foremost authority on charts, Joel Whitburn. Sure some of these artists had other hot 100 hits but does anyone remember most of the songs that hit under top 40? (sure there are some exceptions). Did Rick Dees, Shadow Stevens and Casey Casem countdown the top 100 hits of the week? Oh, that's right, thay did weekly top 40 countdowns. Come on now get serious.

BTW, Suzanne Vega's 1990 hit "Tom's diner" was credited to D.N.A. which is why she was credited as a one hit wonder. I do agree she was a big part of the hit so I'll give you that one.

With list of hundreds of songs, I'm glad you hate the list because you found 3 problems 2 of which we already corrected. 1 which wasn't a mistake because this list was made before Enya had her second top 40 hit Anyway, I'm done arguing with somebody who hasn't posted in years
    Last edited by djdaffy1227; 2-05-09 at 12:31 PM.

you're dispicable!
    I'm not who I was.

You tell em Daffy!
    *Sheree*
    *80sxchange's Official Tsker and Finger Waver

Now you see me & now you don't!!!

Oh Man! What's SHEI doing back!???!
    Facebook[/COLOR]

Cool Re: 80's One Hit Wonders

Didn't Jellybean have another Top 20 hit? I believe it was "Who Found Who?'" which features Elisa Fiorillo in 1988. So, Jellybean isn't really considered a one-hit wonder.

I'm surprise a lot of these lists didn't list Johnny Hates Jazz. I know they had a Huge hit with Shattered Dreams. Maybe they had others in the US.

Their other top 40 hit in the US was "I don't want to be a hero". An anti-war song.

you're dispicable!
    I'm not who I was.

Quote Originally Posted by djdaffy1227 View Post
    I already made reference to Enya being taken off the list. I believe we made mention of Jellybean needing to be taken off the list. You are right about Suzanne Vega. You are right about Tommy Tutone as well but he isn't on the list posted. Benny Mardones only had one song hit the top 40, it just so happen to hit in two different years, sorry, he's a one hit wonder.
    But give the Benny Mardones tune this one milestone; the only song to hit twice in the same decade! Can you see any other song do that?

Unfortunately, on this list some of them are NOT one-hit wonders:

Katrina & The Waves also hit the Top 40 with "Do You Want Crying" (1985/#37), and "That's The Way" (1989/#16)

Kim Wilde's first single was the #25 song in 1981, "Kids In America"

Was (Not Was) had a 2nd Top 40 hit, "Spy In The House Of Love" (1988/#16), which was actually a re-issue (at the time never charted) after the success of "Walk The Dinosaur"

EMF scored a 2nd Top 40 hit. The #18 song "Lies" in 1991

Mr. Big had 2 more Top 40 hits, "Just Take My Heart" (1992/#16) and their remake of Cat Stevens' "Wild World" (1993/#27)

Quote Originally Posted by djdaffy1227 View Post
    Roger Daltrey only had one hit as a solo artist.....Many of these artists had other hits as parts of groups.
    If we went that route, here are a few others....
    Frida and Agnetha Faltskog were in a little group known as ABBA
    Dennis DeYoung was in a little group called Styx
    Ric Ocasek was lead singer of a little group I like to call The Cars
    Donald Fagan was with a little group called Steely Dan
    Timothy B Schmit was in another little group called The Eagles
    Andy Taylor's little group was Duran Duran

I would still consider these one off hits "One hit wonders". they weren't recorded as Duran Duran, Styx, Abba, etc. In fact, I would consider the songs Oh Sherry from Steve Perry or Midnight Blue from Lou Gramm one hit wonders since those were the only hits those artists has for solo careers.

Steve Perry had other top 40 hits as a solo artist:

#17 Don't fight it (with Kenny Loggins) 1982
    #21 She's mine 1984
    #40 Strung out 1984
    #18 Foolish heart 1984
    #29 You better wait 1994

Lou Gramm had:

#5 Midnight blue 1987
    #6 Just between you and me 1990
    #40 True blue love 1990

Neither are one hit wonders

you're dispicable!
    I'm not who I was.

Quote Originally Posted by bino_da_foxxi_1 View Post
    But give the Benny Mardones tune this one milestone; the only song to hit twice in the same decade! Can you see any other song do that?
    Real Life "Send Me An Angel"
    Hit the first time in 1983 at #29
    Hit the second time in 1989 at #26

The second time it was called "Send Me an Angel '89," if I remember correctly, but from what I recall hearing it was the same song. It may have been remixed, but I always thought it was the same song on listening.
    Last edited by ThunderVamp9; 6-28-10 at 07:49 PM.
    "Iím not fat. Iím larger than life."

Click to listen with Winamp!

Actually the Real Life songs were a slightly different mix between the 83 and 89 versions.

you're dispicable!
    I'm not who I was.

Some of these bands mentioned were one-hit wonders in other countries, but some had more success in the UK, for instance Kajagoogoo and Thomas Dolby had more hits!

I suppose French pop singer David Christie could be added to the list as he had a big hit around Europe with "Saddle Up" in 1982, but quitely had other hit songs he wrote for other artists including Grace Jones, Frantique, Tina Charles, Phyllis Nelson, Gloria Gaynor and more.

David had made great solo work, which should have been hits, but everyone knows just the one song he had "Saddle Up". Sadly, David passed away in 1997, and the cause was that he commited suicide becuase he lost his youngest daughter a few months earlier - the whole thing is very sad. If David had lived, I think he would have gone on to write more great tunes. If interested, there's a fan page for David Christie, so why not check it out and listen to his other great tunes both in English and French at https://davidchristiemusic.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information