Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Chicago

80s Forum: Chicago

Thread: Chicago

Arrow Chicago

*From allmusic.com

Chicago formed officially on February 15, 1967, in the city from which it eventually would take its name. The bandmembers intended to launch a rock group with a fully integrated horn section (a novel idea at the time), so the original lineup was a sextet consisting of Walter Parazaider (b. Mar. 14, 1945) on saxophone and woodwinds, Lee Loughnane (b. Oct. 21, 1946) on trumpet, Terry Kath (b. Jan. 31, 1946 d. Jan. 23, 1978) on guitar and vocals, Danny Seraphine (b. Aug. 28, 1948) on drums, James Pankow (b. Aug 20, 1947) on trombone, and Robert Lamm (b. Oct 13, 1944) on organ and vocals. Initially, the group did without a bass player. But in December 1967, bassist/vocalist Peter Cetera (b. Sep. 13, 1944) joined from rival band the Exceptions. Under the guidance of manager/producer James William Guercio, who initially named them Chicago Transit Authority (the name was shortened after the real C.T.A. objected), the group moved to Los Angeles and signed to Columbia Records, recording its debut album, Chicago Transit Authority, in 1969. It sold over two million copies and spawned four chart singles, beginning a string of massive hits that lasted to the end of the decade, with each album cover sporting a variation on the Chicago logo and a sequential title with a Roman numeral: Chicago II, Chicago III, and so on. (Later, ordinary numbers were used.) Chicago's music was a mixture of styles, from hard rock to light pop, incorporating elements of jazz and classical, but after Cetera's "If You Leave Me Now" became a gold-selling number one hit in 1976, the group became more identified with romantic ballads than anything else. Chicago went into decline after a split with Guercio in 1977 and the accidental death of Kath in 1978. But it rebounded in 1982 with "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" and the million-selling Chicago 16, and was able to sustain its renewed popularity despite Cetera's departure for a solo career in 1985. After several years of hits, Chicago's popularity began to decline in the early '90s, as the group retired to the oldies circuit. William Ruhlmann

Thanks for posting this Stacey...
    I have always enjoyed Chicago's music from the 70's right through today. My fave's from the 80's include: HARD TO SAY I'M SORRY, YOU'RE THE INSPIRATION, HARD HABIT TO BREAK. Some of their many 70's classics include: 25 OR 6 TO 4, SATURDAY IN THE PARK, and so many others. Great topic!
    *Jana*
    Carrie Lynn
    March 20, 1990-Sept. 12, 1992
    NIGHT RANGER'S #1 GROUPIE !!
    "YOU CAN STILL ROCK IN AMERICA!!!"
    THE 80SXCHANGE OFFICIAL BARGAIN HUNTRESS! (Thanks Sarg! )

I was not much into their '70's stuff, but I really liked the '80's stuff. Some of my favorite songs were: "Stay The Night", "Hard To Say I'm Sorry", & "Hard Habit To Break".

Chicago had so many great hits during the 80s, and Peter Cetera went on to have a highly successful solo career. Certainly one of the most successful, most enduring rock bands of all time!
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange
    I'm definitely more of a fan of the 80s Chicago rather than the 70s. They had some great songs, no doubt about that.

Ahhh ...you're a bunch of youngsters! LOL! My sister used to have Chicago on 8 track in her red Vega in the 70's. I think she still has those original albums too.
    *Jana*
    Carrie Lynn

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette
    I enjoyed their 70's stuff better. I'm not a big fan of Peter Cetera. I really like "Colour my world" "Saturday in the park" and "If you leave me now".

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

I love the voice of Peter Cetera but the original singer was good too. A few more honorable mentions:

JUST YOU AND ME
    FEELIN STRONGER EVERY DAY
    GLORY OF LOVE

I think I could go on and on about Chicago all day. They are among my list of bands that sometime in my life I want to go see perform. Just a dream I suppose.

This list consists of: CHICAGO, REO SPEEDWAGON, PAT BENATAR, ELTON JOHN, & KENNY LOGGINS.
    *Jana*
    Carrie Lynn

If You Leave Me Now and Hard to Say I'm Sorry have both been covered.

Az Yet's version of Hard to Say I'm Sorry even featured the voice of Peter Cetera himself.
    From Timbo
    Check out http://www.planettimbo.tk - it's my new internet home!!!!!

Re: Chicago

HARD TO SAY IM SORRY,YOUR THE INSPIRATION,HARD HABIT TO BREAK are 3 of my favs from them!!

One of the most awesome 70s,80s bands out there!!

Thread Information