Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
VH1's I Love the 80s

80s Forum: VH1's I Love the 80s

VH1's I Love the 80s

Wednesday Dec. 18
    9/8c PM
    http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/i_love_...?pop=1984_quiz

So…“Where’s the beef?” In 1984. Arguably the greatest pop culture year of the decade, and maybe ever! From Film, to TV, to Music…1984 delivered. Not only did it introduce us to some of music’s most enduring artists (Madonna & Prince), but a few endearing one hit wonders (Corey Hart ring a bell?) as well as some surprise classics (Footloose, Miami Vice, “Girls Just Want To Have Fun”).

1984 is…more than meets the eye: Transformers, The Terminator, Day-Glo and Glo worms. It is Mary Lou Retton on the Wheaties box. The year when Bruce Springsteen pulled a teenage Courtney Cox from the audience and thrust her into mainstream stardom. Whether it was Michael Jackson’s hair catching fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, or Ralph Macchio learning Karate by washing cars, 1984 has provided us with enough 80’s nostalgia to fill a week of programming. But, I Love the 80’s…1984 will do it in one irreverent hour!

Our six “panelists” will approach the year from a fresh perspective, giving us insights into some pressing issues of the time:

Would Punky Brewster have been a hit show if she had a different name? Would she have been less irritating?

Exactly who or what is “the worm”? A. Huey Lewis’ most famous appendage B. A character from Ghostbusters C. A break dance move

George Michael in Day-Glo: Why was there any question?

1984 will be widely remembered as a choice year for film and music. I Love the 80’s…1984 will highlight the most popular films (Ghostbusters, Karate Kid, Footloose), as well as those that weren’t smash hits at the box office, but have emerged as cult classics (This Is Spinal Tap, Sixteen Candles).

Meanwhile, in music… quintessential 80’s acts like Huey Lewis and the News, Cyndi Lauper and Wham provided a strangely varied soundtrack for the year, while Van Halen began an assault on the mainstream.

1984 also provided a handful of 80’s fashion mainstays. Groups like Wham and Frankie Goes To Hollywood made the message T Shirt (“Frankie says Relax”) way cool, while Don Johnson had Crocket-wannabes everywhere dressing in pink T-Shirts, suit jackets and loafers without socks. Madonna created her own fashion for a new generation of crazed teen girls, while their older sisters were obsessed with Guess Jeans and Stonewash denim. I Love the 80’s…1984 will explore these trends in all their glory (and insanity).

Televison was also at it’s campy best in 1984. Sitcoms like Punky Brewster and Webster gave us child stars whose exploits continue to intrigue us well into adulthood (i.e. Soleil Moon Frye had a breast reduction in 1993). And, an hour-long drama about two undercover vice cops in South Beach (Miami Vice) made heartthrobs out of Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas.

Does Freddy Krueger continue to give you nightmares? Do you still cry when Lionel Ritchie says “Hello” (be they tears of sadness or laughter)? Is Boy George still your guilty pleasure? Do you still wonder how a toy plane that becomes a robot (Transformers) generated XX billion dollars in a year? If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, then chances are you’re an ‘84 pop culture junkie. And, I Love the 80’s…1984 is your ultimate fix.

Thanks for posting this, Shortie! It had been posted up on the VH-1 site for months, but there was never a date for when it would air. Now I will definately get to watch it!

Yeah unfortunately for me it's on school nights.

Don't worry, Shortie....VH-1 is notorious for showing shows over and over again. You will eventually catch it on a weekend.

Why do I have the feeling that there's not going to be any love in the "I Love The 80s" collection of specials?

Let's be square here...everybody who was famous in the 80s now looks back on the time and has the attacking reflex of acid reflux. From Pat Benatar to Eddie Murphy, they all hate their 80s pasts.

Why do I have the feeling this special will just be more 80s personalities saying "Oh God, I can't believe I looked that way/did that/listened to this/watched that/wore this/ate that"?

Don't deny it...you've seen them do it.

Sincerely,

John "outofplacechild" Kilduff
    God bless the troops AND America now and forever!

Ted's friend in twisted humor (Come back soon, pal!)---
    TopCat Fan---
    A Pat Benatar admirer, just like Sarg--
    Stalker of the marvelous, fantastic, deliciously pretty abcmcd-Where are you? I miss you!---
    Tinajo rocks---
    Milani rules---
    Gazing dreamily at ImSooSure's picture---
    DD, I still miss you. Come back, please.
    Culture Club Freak's Raving Right-Winger Friend

"There are things about me you wouldn't undestand...Things you couldn't understand...Things you SHOULDN'T understand!"-Pee-Wee Herman

DON'T MAKE FUN OF MY PRESIDENT, GODDAMMIT!

Actually Shortie, I looked at it again and the first show of it begins on Monday, Dec. 16th at 9pm Eastern. Starting with 1980.

Originally posted by Iluvthe80s
    Actually Shortie, I looked at it again and the first show of it begins on Monday, Dec. 16th at 9pm Eastern. Starting with 1980.
    They must've changed it.

ShereKahn is offline Tyger Tyger Burning Bright..
    Originally posted by outofplacechild
    Why do I have the feeling that there's not going to be any love in the "I Love The 80s" collection of specials?

Let's be square here...everybody who was famous in the 80s now looks back on the time and has the attacking reflex of acid reflux. From Pat Benatar to Eddie Murphy, they all hate their 80s pasts.

Why do I have the feeling this special will just be more 80s personalities saying "Oh God, I can't believe I looked that way/did that/listened to this/watched that/wore this/ate that"?

Your right. I have seen them do it often enough to turn off the television in disgust. That decade MADE them, yet they dismiss it with a wave of the hand, inferring they would have made it anyway. Um, yeah Pat. Girls would be just lining up to emulate you nowadays. You, as artists, had your place in history and it was a damn fine place. Cease your whining and pissing and moaning and revel in the fact that people still adore you even if you may have become a dickweed lately.
    ShereKahn - MiSTie, Musician, Molly Ringwald Fan, Ex Speed Skating Champ, Stuck Forever In 1984, And All Around Decent Guy.

Stalkers please submit a resume with verifiable stalkee references!

REMINDER: This starts tonight at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central.

Taping as I type...
    ShereKahn - MiSTie, Musician, Molly Ringwald Fan, Ex Speed Skating Champ, Stuck Forever In 1984, And All Around Decent Guy.

It runs again all day on the 30th. I'll have my VCR ready...
    'Til later...

Originally posted by outofplacechild

Sincerely,

John "outofplacechild" Kilduff

Originally posted by ShereKahn
    Your right. I have seen them do it often enough to turn off the television in disgust. That decade MADE them, yet they dismiss it with a wave of the hand, inferring they would have made it anyway. Um, yeah Pat. Girls would be just lining up to emulate you nowadays. You, as artists, had your place in history and it was a damn fine place. Cease your whining and pissing and moaning and revel in the fact that people still adore you even if you may have become a dickweed lately.

I can only speak for Pat, she doesn't hate the 80's, it's where she got her start and she knows it and has mentioned it on many occasions. She just doesn't want to be trapped as only an 80's rocker. She does hate to sing certain lyrics to songs she's written in the 80's like "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," actually it's one line that she can't stand to sing, the line "put another notch on my lipstick case," so she lets the audience sing that part.
    She's said nothing but good things about the 80's in radio interviews as you can listen to on her site at benatar.com. i felt I had to set the record straight.
    Last edited by Sarg; 12-18-02 at 08:19 PM.
    Wally

http://BenatarFanClub.com The Official Fanclub

If anyone would know, Sarg... it's definatly you!!

So far, I haven't seen a whole lot of 80s bashing on the shows yet! I hope it stays that way!
    A Veteran Xchanger

Man, I typed, and re-typed a monologue about Pat Benatar at least six times. I just cannot seem to articulate what I had to say. So I will leave it at this:

I wasn't dismissing Pat Benatar
    I happen to LOVE Pat Benatar
    I only used Pat Benatar as an example because she is so unique.
    I could have said Cyndi Lauper, but I wasn't thinking fast enough.

I forgot the point, it is 5:02 a.m. just ignore my rambling

Not a problem, ShereKahn. I may have read more into it than I should have.
    Even if the personalities of the 80's did say things like "I can't believe I wore those clothes" or "Watched that" or whatever, John was talking about artists being negative, I don't think it would've made the show bad if they did say things like that. We all wonder at one point in our lives how or why we did something. We did it because it was a cool thing to do at that time. These are different times, and just like years from now todays eighteen year olds will wonder and ask themselves....."Why did I walk around with my pants five sizes too big and halfway down my ass?" .....and it really isn't being negative, but more of an observation of their past and what was poplular at the time.
    Last edited by Sarg; 12-19-02 at 09:05 PM.
    Wally

http://BenatarFanClub.com The Official Fanclub

Re: VH1's I Love the 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Shortie Blonde
    Wednesday Dec. 18
    9/8c PM

1984 also provided a handful of 80’s fashion mainstays. Groups like Wham and Frankie Goes To Hollywood made the message T Shirt (“Frankie says Relax”) way cool
    Limited Edition FRANKIE SAY RELAX T-Shirts now availble, they're still hot!
    http://www.cafepress.com/timewarpt

Re: VH1's I Love the 80s

Okay, I have a pic now...

FRANKIE SAY RELAX T-shirts, Mugs, Hats, Baby Gifts available again

You will have a blast in this classic 1980's retro design.

"FRANKIE SAY RELAX" slogan apparel including t-shirts, baby wear, trucker hats,
    try our mugs too (point toward co-workers for subtle message!)

Great gift, or wear to your favorite 80's night, street walking,
    or just dancing around your bedroom to Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Timewarp T's
    >>>>

Thread Information