Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Def Leppard Commits the ULTIMATE Blasphemy!!! - Page 2

80s Forum: Def Leppard Commits the ULTIMATE Blasphemy!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey guys!!! Please read my review in the Concert review forum. Def Lep still rocks!!!

Def Leppard - Pittsburgh
    Last edited by jen*; 7-30-03 at 01:47 PM.
    ~jen~

Totally stalked by 80s Trivia
    Wavemaster's favourite former teacher
    >>>Officially stalking djdaffy<<<
    ~~MMMMMM Chasey~~

jen* has a space

Originally posted by jen*
    Hey guys!!! Please read my review in the Concert review forum. Def Lep still rocks!!!

Def Leppard - Pittsburgh
    I agree jen*, they do still rock, and they're terrific in concert. Just why in the world would he make such a stupid comparison?
    **Official Stalker of the musically omniscient TJ**
    **Stalked by the fantabulous OPC**
    **Mutual admirer of DJDaffy, my dream man**

I will give you every penny's worth, but it will cost you a dollar first.
    alli on facebook

I agree jen*, they do still rock, and they're terrific in concert. Just why in the world would he make such a stupid comparison?[/B]

My guess is its not so much the backstreet boy factor as it is that Def Leppard helped metal to cross over audiences into the pop mainstream. The music was no longer secluded to metal purists, but that kids who liked pop songs could appreciate metal in their own way. By that fact Def Leppard went pop, persay and I think that is the point Joe was trying to make. Perhaps he was just being awkward in his explaination, but so what.
    Last edited by BishounenRocker; 8-01-03 at 08:38 AM.

Actually, I don't believe Joe was making any points at all, since the article says the statements were made by Vivian Campbell.

Also, he was comparing the complexities of Def Lep's vocals to the Backstreet Boys, not the band itself.

I have yet to see a band admit that they don't want their music on the radio. I haven't heard the new X album yet, but I'm sure there'll be a few songs on there I like, if not all of them.

Why can't a band change it's direction? There's no law against it. To bring in new fans, they can't really sing different words to the same beat all the time....Look at what happens to the bands who do that. Aerosmith isn't exactly as hard-core as they used to be, either....and I still like them, too.

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?
    I don't know. I lost my psychic abilities when they stole my superhero powers.

It all depends on the type of band. Iron Maiden has remained true to their sound and style, and they just sold out Madison Square Garden with no radio or video airplay.

Judas Priest has also remained true and they are still a major band.

For metal bands, change tolls the bell with hardcore fans. Just ask Skid Row. They started out as a hair band and were hugely popular, then got heavier on their next two albums, lost their core fan base, and now are a shell of what they used to be.
    Last edited by Pagan; 8-01-03 at 12:29 PM.

Originally posted by Pagan

For metal bands, change tolls the bell with hardcore fans.

I agree 100% Look what happened to Metallica after the black album.
    ~*uuɐloɹɐɔ~*
    Stalked by the fantabulos Prefab Sprouter
    Partners in Crime with Annette
    Proud member of the metal chick posse
    Member of the Xchange Badgirl club!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    ~ Ellen Goodman

Trekkin By Harket..

Boston Bruins

Originally posted by ValJ
    Actually, I don't believe Joe was making any points at all, since the article says the statements were made by Vivian Campbell.
    Let's send out the technicality police, why don't we?

Also, he was comparing the complexities of Def Lep's vocals to the Backstreet Boys, not the band itself. [/B]
    And yeah the band worked with producers who worked with the boy bands. So there is no surprise why the X album doesn't bare some resemblence to these boy groups. But even that being the case Def Leppard were nonetheless a pop band since their Pyromania days. I think it is okay for them to make that comparison.

Note: (I take back the awkward statement.)

Why can't a band change it's direction? There's no law against it. To bring in new fans, they can't really sing different words to the same beat all the time....Look at what happens to the bands who do that. Aerosmith isn't exactly as hard-core as they used to be, either....and I still like them, too. [/B]
    I agree. It's not fair that fans should hold their favorite groups to such ridiculous expectations or tight restrictions as changing their sound. The band should be able to stretch their talent as far as they can, which helps them mature as a band. I do believe that is what Def Leppard is wanting for themselves. It shouldn't be a crime if the group wants to cross over. They did it before, why not do it again? It doesn't make them any lesser as musicians. In fact what they did makes them stand out from the rest of the rock bands. Should they copy cat the bands who choose to perform to a limited audience? That would be pretty boring.

And one last point, the quality of their musicianship speaks more volumes for how popular they are than them trying to please the purists. I do believe the band, by trying to reinvent themselves, are attempting to become a band of quality music. It's not necessarily limited to one type of sound, but what can you do to expand from that sound or create a new unique sound. I think the band is doing just that. There is nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by BishounenRocker; 8-01-03 at 02:56 PM.

Originally posted by BishounenRocker

Let's send out the technicality police, why don't we?
    There's no need to be a wise-ass, Bish.

I agree. It's not fair that fans should hold their favorite groups to such ridiculous expectations or tight restrictions as changing their sound. The band should be able to stretch their talent as far as they can, which helps them mature as a band. I do believe that is what Def Leppard is wanting for themselves. It shouldn't be a crime if the group wants to cross over. They did it before, why not do it again? It doesn't make them any lesser as musicians. In fact what they did makes them stand out from the rest of the rock bands. Should they copy cat the bands who choose to perform to a limited audience? That would be pretty boring.
    To change your sound to reflect your growth as a musician is one thing, to do so in order to hop on the latest trend is quite another. Lep seems to be hopping on the "pop" trend. If anything, they're being more copycat than anything else. Like Metallica, they saw what was selling and jumped on it.

Leppard didn't change their sound to reflect musical growth, they changed their sound to recapture past riches. I have more respect for a band that sticks to their guns than one that whores itself.

Boring? Maiden has played the same type of music all their career. They still have a ton of fans who would disagree that they're boring. They also packed Madison Square Garden the other night. Leppard had to play a smaller venue. Who has the more limited audience?

And one last point, the quality of their musicianship speaks more volumes for how popular they are than them trying to please the purists. I do believe the band, by trying to reinvent themselves, are attempting to become a band of quality music. It's not necessarily limited to one type of sound, but what can you do to expand from that sound or create a new unique sound. I think the band is doing just that. There is nothing wrong with that.
    There is nothing unique about Lep's new sound. It's been done before...many, many, many times over. I'd love to hear how you think that "X" is unique sounding!

An example of a unique band was Faith No More. They did things no band had up until that time. That is unique, not trying to hop on a fading bandwagon.

As for musicianship, (something I know a little about) there's nothing amazing about any of the members of Leppard. They're all good musicians, but I wouldn't say any of them are reinventing their instruments.

If you want an example of a band that has changed it's sound, still kept it's core audience, and are incredible musicians, look no farther than RUSH. They did change and mature, but not by hopping on what was "in" at the moment. Their sound is uniquely their own. No other band sounds like them. They are musical pioneers....
    Last edited by Pagan; 8-01-03 at 04:15 PM.

Oh, Pagan. Now we are discussing opinions. I'll let you have your opinions.

I guess I just ain't cool unless I wear my popular red Chuck shoes that I had since I was 12. They are all torn and pieced together by duct tape. But I am cool. I know that for sure.

Whatever you wanna think Bish.

Whatever you wanna think Bish.
    Thanks for letting me know.

Do you think these bangs I had since 1985 still look good? I know I haven't washed my hair since then because I know if I did it wouldn't be the same. I wouldn't be as popular as I was in high school. Boo-Hoo.

Now you're just being, what we call in the Bronx, a pretentious tool.

Now you're just being, what we call in the Bronx, a pretentious tool.
    Oh, the name calling. That's so lovely.

I just can't stand to remove my beautiful shirt that I wore during my high school graduation in 1984. I had so many friends and admiriers in those days that I just can't stand to take it off even though it got all dirty and full of holes and it smells like my dead poodle, Poopsie.
    Last edited by BishounenRocker; 8-01-03 at 06:27 PM.

Originally posted by BishounenRocker

Oh, the name calling. That's so lovely.
    No, I just prefer the more direct approach instead of the psuedo-intellectual sarcasm you think is so witty, and which - by the way - is edging you ever closer to a warning from the administration.

Ok, anything that doesn't have to do with the topic at hand from this point, gets removed. All I'm seeing is attempts to push Pagan's buttons to get him pissed off... there's no need to be a wiseass just because someone makes good points that you don't happen to agree with...

Originally posted by Roemello
    Ok, anything that doesn't have to do with the topic at hand from this point, gets removed. All I'm seeing is attempts to push Pagan's buttons to get him pissed off... there's no need to be a wiseass just because someone makes good points that you don't happen to agree with...
    Okay, I will bow down from here. I do acknowledge the differences in point of view here. I was teasing and being a goof. I guess, unfortunately, it went too far. I won't do it anymore. Are we still friends here?
    Last edited by BishounenRocker; 8-01-03 at 07:03 PM.

Cool with me, just keep the prodding out so no problems arise I never like busting out into serious admin mode

To change your sound to reflect your growth as a musician is one thing, to do so in order to hop on the latest trend is quite another. Lep seems to be hopping on the "pop" trend. If anything, they're being more copycat than anything else. Like Metallica, they saw what was selling and jumped on it.
    Def Leppard has been a pop band since Pyromania. It doesn't mean they are copycatting anyone. It is just a direction they choose to go, to go pop.

Leppard didn't change their sound to reflect musical growth, they changed their sound to recapture past riches. I have more respect for a band that sticks to their guns than one that whores itself.[/B]
    So, what is wrong with capturing past riches? And yes they are trying to reinvent themselves the way they want to. There may be a bit of a twang in their music that sounds like other popular bands, but the band's sound is still there. If Def Leppard truely wanted to copy the Backstreet Boys they would've thrown out their instruments and became five singing guys before a computer playing digitized music.

Boring? Maiden has played the same type of music all their career. They still have a ton of fans who would disagree that they're boring. They also packed Madison Square Garden the other night. Leppard had to play a smaller venue. Who has the more limited audience?[/B]
    I said boring because if every band decided to do what Maiden does, then it would be very boring. And I don't care if a ton of fans disagree with me. Leppard is not Maiden. I said limited audience to mean people who like only one kind of music. I wasn't talking about numbers.

There is nothing unique about Lep's new sound. It's been done before...many, many, many times over. I'd love to hear how you think that "X" is unique sounding![/B]
    Give me an example, Pagan.

An example of a unique band was Faith No More. They did things no band had up until that time. That is unique, not trying to hop on a fading bandwagon.[/B]
    Good for Faith No More. Def Leppard is not Faith No More.

If you want an example of a band that has changed it's sound, still kept it's core audience, and are incredible musicians, look no farther than RUSH. They did change and mature, but not by hopping on what was "in" at the moment. Their sound is uniquely their own. No other band sounds like them. They are musical pioneers.... [/B]
    Def Leppard is not Rush either.
    Last edited by BishounenRocker; 8-02-03 at 06:50 AM.

Bish, I'm the idiot in this instance because - again - I keep trying to hold an intelligent conversation with someone who doesn't come within a country mile of getting the point I am trying to make.

In all honesty, I grow weary of continually trying to explain something and having you respond in a fashion that is so far out of the ballpark from what I was saying that it isn't even worth the time and effort to try to unravel your logic. You begin debates and then end up contradicting yourself half the time in your follow ups.

So here's the deal...have fun on the boards, do your own thing, live and let live, blah blah blah....

I have bigger fish to fry....

Bish, I'm the idiot in this instance because - again - I keep trying to hold an intelligent conversation with someone who doesn't come within a country mile of getting the point I am trying to make.

In all honesty, I grow weary of continually trying to explain something and having you respond in a fashion that is so far out of the ballpark from what I was saying that it isn't even worth the time and effort to try to unravel your logic. You begin debates and then end up contradicting yourself half the time in your follow ups.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I really wanted to make amends too.
    Last edited by BishounenRocker; 8-01-03 at 10:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information