Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Grunge (the Metal years) - Page 4

80s Forum: Grunge (the Metal years)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Grunge (the Metal years)

Quote Originally Posted by BCRichRocker4JC
    Excuse me? What about lyrics like this:

"Evil Has No Boundaries

Blasting our way through the boundaries of Hell
    No one can stop us tonight
    We take on the world with hatred inside
    Mayhem the reason we fight
    Surviving the slaughters and killing we've lost
    Then we return from the dead
    Attacking once more now with twice as much strength
    We conquer then move on ahead

(Chorus)
    Evil
    My words defy
    Evil
    Has no disguise
    Evil
    Will take your soul
    Evil
    My wrath unfolds

Satan our master in evil mayhem
    Guides us with every first step
    Our axes are growing with power and fury
    Soon there'll be nothingness left
    Midnight has come and the leathers strapped on
    Evil is at our command
    We clash with God's angel and conquer new souls
    Consuming all that we can"

Many other examples also. Don't tell me you never read or listened to the lyrics of your favorite band????

OK. Maybe they aren't talking about themselves here. And maybe it is just a gimmick. But my point still remains, if I don't agree with whatever message their "preaching" or pretending to preach then I won't go see them live or listen to their records.

I don't even have to post some Stryper lyrics in order to prove a point on what they believe or preached. In fact everyone knows this and they at least don't have to cover it up by saying it has an alternative meaning or something. Please let's not turn this into a Slayer vs Stryper or gimmick vs real belief post. This was in no way a Slayer dig, I just used them as an example as Stryper was being used as an example in the above posts just to make a point.

No offence to your boys Slayergrrl. I've seen them live and used to own some of their earlier work. They are talented on their instruments even if I don't like their particular way of songwriting.
    Great Song!
    I guess you just hit a nerve. All of those years of getting called a satan worshiper, ya know.
    ~*uuɐloɹɐɔ~*
    Stalked by the fantabulos Prefab Sprouter
    Partners in Crime with Annette
    Proud member of the metal chick posse
    Member of the Xchange Badgirl club!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    ~ Ellen Goodman

Trekkin By Harket..

Boston Bruins

Quote Originally Posted by PG
    Amen sister. But I think most people THINK they are because of the image they perceive.
    It's more than an image. It's a gimmick. It's also the image they'd like to be known by to more than likely sell records. C'Mon PG you're not that naive are you? I know you're not. And if it's fake then isn't that kind of worse? Not being real to the fans. Note: I did not state this as fact. So no flames on this one, kay?

But like I stated earlier no offence Slayer fans. Chill out. No one said Slayer sucks here just to get things straight. Although if someone did, so what, that is their opinon and I repect that. You guys don't like Stryper and I do. So?? Big deal. We all like and dislike groups diffently than others and I respect your right as a human to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayergrrl
    Great Song!
    I guess you just hit a nerve. All of those years of getting called a satan worshiper, ya know.
    Oh no Slayergrrl. In no way would I ever say that all of the fans of Slayer were Satan worshippers (you included. Remember I was a big Slayer fan in HS. Just got bored with the style and redundant music & lyrics of a lot of Trash groups). Man, that would be a broad sweep, huh?? Just like not all of Stryper's fans are Christians. You don't have to follow the "message" in order to like the music. Everyone should agree with me here.
    Andrés Segovia (1893-1987)

Cyber Brother of SouthernImage Sicilian Cyber Brother of Annette
    "Smelly Sticker" Cyber Brother of Punky Power

Cyber Brother of BlackOyster
    jen*'s "King Of The Shovel" Brother
    Completely awestruck by my incredible keriberri!!!

But I might have to check out more of "Eurpoean" or "Prog" or whatever it is called kind of Metal. I am a diehard "classic" and/or 80s Metalhead though.
    BCR....you're doing yourself a GRAVE injustice if you do not at least listen to some of these bands!!! Here's a minimal list to start with:

~ Symphony X: Gods, point blank. They have Dream Theater's musicianship, but unlike DT they aren't overly self-indulgent. They actually write better songs.
    ~ Kamelot: One of the "epic" metal bands. Great singer!
    ~ EdGuy: Stupid name, GREAT band.
    ~ Adagio: INCREDIBLE musicians. And they're Italian!
    ~ Vanden Plas: From Germany, excellent singer, GREAT songwriters.

Start with those, if you like them let me know and I'll give you a MONSTER list to check out!

It's more than an image. It's a gimmick. It's also the image they'd like to be known by to more than likely sell records. C'Mon PG you're not that naive are you? I know you're not. And if it's fake then isn't that kind of worse? Not being real to the fans. Note: I did not state this as fact. So no flames on this one, kay?

But like I stated earlier no offence Slayer fans. Chill out. No one said Slayer sucks here just to get things straight. Although if someone did, so what, that is their opinon and I repect that. You guys don't like Stryper and I do. So?? Big deal. We all like and dislike groups diffently than others and I respect your right as a human to do that.
    Honestly, I guess I just don't see them in that way. I enjoy their music, and I enjoyed seeing them play live. Even if they are putting on "an act" to make people think they are Satan worshippers, they succeeded in only the best way because it didn't stop them from selling millions of records. I don't think many people buy their albums based soley on the lyrics (whether they have Satanic meaning or not)...it's the whole package. As for being "fake", I really could care less what their religious beliefs are (I'm not a religious person) I just like them for what I hear.

But I appreciate your knowledge & opinion as well as everyone else's, which is why I love this place so much!

I am just glad I found out who the other two people who bought the Beautiful Creatures CDs were.

I loved that CD, but, calling it this generations Appetite is a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    I am just glad I found out who the other two people who bought the Beautiful Creatures CDs were.

I loved that CD, but, calling it this generations Appetite is a bit of a stretch.
    That is three thank you very much. DJ Ashba is an underated guitarist. I wish he would get off his but and put out the solo album he has talked about for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan
    BCR....you're doing yourself a GRAVE injustice if you do not at least listen to some of these bands!!! Here's a minimal list to start with:

~ Symphony X: Gods, point blank. They have Dream Theater's musicianship, but unlike DT they aren't overly self-indulgent. They actually write better songs.

Start with those, if you like them let me know and I'll give you a MONSTER list to check out!
    Thanks bro. I'll do that.
    Andrés Segovia (1893-1987)

Cyber Brother of SouthernImage Sicilian Cyber Brother of Annette
    "Smelly Sticker" Cyber Brother of Punky Power

Cyber Brother of BlackOyster
    jen*'s "King Of The Shovel" Brother
    Completely awestruck by my incredible keriberri!!!

BC... he's given you a KICK ASS LIST!!!! Those are some of my favorites!

Thank goodness the Europeans have kept metal alive. MY hope is that with such widespread internet usage and file sharing (*ahem* did I say that out loud?) that word (and MUSIC) will spread like wildfire!! Ultimately making the bands more accessible to U.S. fans!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper

I don't think so, name one other rock album that's come out since Appetite that's as good or near as good as the Beautiful Creature's album? I could say the Darkness, but I think BC has em beat.
    http://www.ttops.net
    1st ever Fiona web site!
    http://www.ttops.net/fiona
    ------

"Evil Has No Boundaries

Blasting our way through the boundaries of Hell
    No one can stop us tonight
    We take on the world with hatred inside
    Mayhem the reason we fight
    Surviving the slaughters and killing we've lost
    Then we return from the dead
    Attacking once more now with twice as much strength
    We conquer then move on ahead

(Chorus)
    Evil
    My words defy
    Evil
    Has no disguise
    Evil
    Will take your soul
    Evil
    My wrath unfolds

Satan our master in evil mayhem
    Guides us with every first step
    Our axes are growing with power and fury
    Soon there'll be nothingness left
    Midnight has come and the leathers strapped on
    Evil is at our command
    We clash with God's angel and conquer new souls
    Consuming all that we can"
    Wow.... did anybody really take this stuff seriously? I haven't listened to much of Slayer's stuff, and I have to say that from what little I've heard I do like their sound, but those lyrics read like they were written by a reject from the high-school Dungeons and Dragons club!

No offense to fans of the band. As I already pointed out, I like their sound. I'm just thinking that if that's the sort of campy schlock that garnered Slayer's reputation as evil Satanists, then Gene Simmons must be the living incarnation of the anti-Christ!

C'mon, people. It's all just shits and giggles....

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan

Allow me to add;

Brainstorm (their album Soul Temptation easily the best of 2003)
    Silent Force (straight up good ole power metal, DC Cooper on vocals)
    Primal Fear (If Judas Priest kept making evolving albums from the Painkiller vein, this would be them)
    Sonata Arcitca (see earlier mention of them in previous post)
    Nightwish (female operatic vocals, good mix of prog/power for music)
    http://www.ttops.net
    1st ever Fiona web site!
    http://www.ttops.net/fiona
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Creeps
    Allow me to add;

Brainstorm (their album Soul Temptation easily the best of 2003)
    Silent Force (straight up good ole power metal, DC Cooper on vocals)
    Primal Fear (If Judas Priest kept making evolving albums from the Painkiller vein, this would be them)
    Sonata Arcitca (see earlier mention of them in previous post)
    Nightwish (female operatic vocals, good mix of prog/power for music)
    Slow down bro!!! Let him digest what I gave him first! Ya don't wanna overload the man!!!

I wouldn't add Nightwish to that mix though, they're more of an aquired taste. I can't deal with those vocals for very long. Kind of like an operatic King Diamond....great music and vocals that get on your nerves after two or three songs.

If you dig Nightwish though, check out my friend Jim's band, Operatika. Very similar!

Quote Originally Posted by Creeps
    I don't think so, name one other rock album that's come out since Appetite that's as good or near as good as the Beautiful Creature's album? I could say the Darkness, but I think BC has em beat.

Anything by Stone Temple Pilots.
    Brides of Destruction
    Anthrax's latest was strong, top to bottom
    The new Tesla kicks ass
    I believe Motorhead has released a CD or two, so that is automatically ahead of them.
    Strength by Enuf Z Nuff
    Whitesnake Starkers in Tokyo(although it is basically an 'unplugged' CD)
    Blue Murder's Nothin' But Trouble
    Queensryche EMPIRE

Just to name a few that I liked better.
    Last edited by Jasper; 8-21-04 at 02:35 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information