Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
{News}A Horrible Way to Go...

80s Forum: {News}A Horrible Way to Go...

Unhappy {News}A Horrible Way to Go...

I can't imagine what the friends who witnessed this are going through, or what the young man's families must feel like, losing their loved one in such a hideous way a few days before Christmas...

Crocodile Kills Man in Australia

DARWIN, Australia (Dec. 23) - A crocodile killed a 22-year-old man and then kept his body in its jaws while his two friends watched in horror from a nearby tree.

Shaun Blowers and Ashley McGough, both 19, recounted on Tuesday how the reptile snatched Brett Mann at Finniss River, which cuts through a flooded tropical wilderness about 50 miles southwest of Darwin in the Northern Territory on Sunday.

Blowers said the 13-foot saltwater crocodile also lunged at them, but they scrambled up a tree in the swollen stream. A police search party found them still in the tree 22 hours later.

The three friends had been riding quad bikes along a muddy trail, and stopped by the river to bathe.

Mann was swept away by a strong current. As his friends swam out to help, he was taken by a crocodile that had been lurking in the waters.

"We both jumped in and swam after him and we got in front of him and were leading him back to the bank," Blowers said. "I went past the croc. I didn't see it. Ashley screamed out `croc, croc'... we just swam to the nearest tree and straight up we went.

"We were looking around for Brett (but) didn't hear a thing, didn't hear a scream, no splashing or anything," he said.

"Two minutes later the croc brought Brett to the surface and pretty much showed him off to us and off he swam.

"Five minutes later he was back stalking the tree around us. He just hung around us all night and pretty much all the next morning."

A police helicopter took the two survivors to Darwin, where they were treated for shock and exposure.

Authorities Tuesday searched the river for Mann's remains and for the man-eating crocodile.

Saltwater crocodiles are among the world's largest reptiles. They became a protected species in 1971 after they were nearly wiped out over the last century. There are now an estimated 100,000 saltwater crocs and there have been growing calls for a reintroduction of limited hunting.

Last year a crocodile killed a 25-year-old German woman as she swam in the Northern Territories Kakadu Park

12/23/03 07:19 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Re: {News}A Horrible Way to Go...

OMG! How awful! I can't even imagine how I would cope after seeing something so horrifying.

Wow!!!!
    ~*uuɐloɹɐɔ~*
    Stalked by the fantabulos Prefab Sprouter
    Partners in Crime with Annette
    Proud member of the metal chick posse
    Member of the Xchange Badgirl club!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    ~ Ellen Goodman

Trekkin By Harket..

Boston Bruins

Wow! That's horrible...

Wow! I have a friend who is from Darwin. I understand it's not a very large community. I bet those kids were known by everyone. My thoughts go out to their families.
    ~jen~

Totally stalked by 80s Trivia
    Wavemaster's favourite former teacher
    >>>Officially stalking djdaffy<<<
    ~~MMMMMM Chasey~~

jen* has a space

Oh man, that would have been horrible to see by those other two guys.
    Sneaking a peek at Princess P
    Waiting for BrownEyedGirl to come my way, again and again.

Richard's Dazed and Confused Website

How awful.

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

Wow, that's just horrific.

I bet it must be a horrible way to die or witness someone die, but I wonder how prevalent croc attacks are in that area I recall reading a similar article about a boy who was killed in the same manner by a croc or alligator in a small village in the border of Pakistan and Iran.

Thread Information