Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Canadian One Hit Wonders ... - Page 5

80s Forum: Canadian One Hit Wonders ...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Canadian One Hit Wonders ...

I Want You Back - Sherry Kean
    Switch Into Glide/This Beat Goes On- The Kings
    Slowly Slipping Away, No Justice- HaremScarem
    White Lies/Black Truth- Slik Toxic
    Special Girl - Eddie Schwartz
    Ah Leah- Donnie Iris( I think he's Canadian)
    We Should Be Lovers - Zappacosta(I know he had a few more)

I don't think I repeated any of them?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon73
    I Want You Back - Sherry Kean
    Slowly Slipping Away, No Justice- HaremScarem
    White Lies/Black Truth- Slik Toxic
    Special Girl - Eddie Schwartz

I don't think I repeated any of them?!
    Eddie Schwartz reached the Canadian top 40 several times with 4 other songs: 'All Our Tomorrows' (which became his only American top 40 hit), 'Does A Fool Ever Learn?' (which would also become a popular favourite by Helix), 'Over the Line' and 'Strike'

He also wrote the 1980 Pat Benatar hit 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot'

The only one hit wonder also known overhere, are Trance X - Living on video. Didn't know they are from Canada.

Thanks Whistledog, I had no idea that Eddie had any more hits!

Right Beside You - Billy Newton Davis (1986)
    Billy is actually American. He came to Canada in the mid-80's to replace one of the deceased members of the NYLONS.

Therefore Billy is an Honourary Canadian!
    Canadian80's (aka Mike)

Stalked and Stalking the 'Ultimate' Dark Haired - Metal Queen (and part-time PalTalk DJ)... Annette

ValJ's Slave ... Hit me with your rythem stick ...

Stalked by one of exchanges many Hotties - TopCat

Stalking 'la bella' from Cali ... SouthernImage

.... all these women ... I gotta start a Harem

Be a pal ... add to my Rep

Shakey is offline Content to be in the Matrix!

I love that song. There was a radio station where I used to live that played that every friday at 5 pm. It was the ultimate way to kick off the weekend!

He also did "Love Is Like A Rock". It was a great tune!
    - Shakey

"If I'm here and you're here, then doesn't that make it our time? - Jeff Spicoli, 1982

eye eye

ahhh the 80's... i was just doing a search and thought "I wonder if the history of eye eye is anywhere online"? Alas, this is the only reference I found. Why would I be curious? I was the lead singer and front man when the band won the Q107 in 1984. Glorry days... great board here.. keep the 80's alive!

Michael bell

Greetings, folks. First time poster, try to be gentle, OK? Really enjoying the flashbacks I'm getting by reading through all these artists and song titles - geez, it's like being back in high school again. Whistledog, I'm really enjoying your postings but I got two one-hit wonders you may or may not remember:

"It Doesn't Matter" by Coleman Wilde. It was used for Foster's beer TV commercials in 1989, and actually got radio airplay in Southern Ontario. Go figure. I scanned the front and rear of the 45 jacket for your enjoyment. See attached.

"Turn Of The Wheel" by Mary-Lu Zahalan. I've got a 45 of that song, released in 1983. Mary-Lu is still in the Canadian music industry today, as a producer. See attached.

I still can't believe you pulled that Graham Shaw and the Sincere Serenaders out of thin air like that. I thought nobody remembered that song except me.

Just thought of another one - what about "Boys Of Autumn" by David Roberts (1982) ? He's a session singer noted for his work with bands like Toto and other big acts, but collaborated a lot with Lee Aaron here in Canada. I'd love to get my hands on his one and only LP, "All Dressed Up." Most of the guys from Toto turned up as players on his album. "Boys of Autumn" is wicked smooth in production. I found a copy of it on the Web the other day after looking for about two years.

My faves from the Canadian 80's:

Coney Hatch - Hey Operator
    April Wine - Enough is Enough
    Toronto - Girl's Night Out
    Headpins - One More Time
    Grapes of Wrath - What Was Going Through My Head
    The Box - Must I Always Remember
    Strange Advance - We Run
    Frozen Ghost - Should I See
    ... plus so many more...

Keep up the good memories, everyone. I'm really enjoying it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffer
    Greetings, folks. First time poster, try to be gentle, OK? Really enjoying the flashbacks I'm getting by reading through all these artists and song titles - geez, it's like being back in high school again. Whistledog, I'm really enjoying your postings but I got two one-hit wonders you may or may not remember:

"It Doesn't Matter" by Coleman Wilde. It was used for Foster's beer TV commercials in 1989, and actually got radio airplay in Southern Ontario. Go figure. I scanned the front and rear of the 45 jacket for your enjoyment. See attached.

"Turn Of The Wheel" by Mary-Lu Zahalan. I've got a 45 of that song, released in 1983. Mary-Lu is still in the Canadian music industry today, as a producer. See attached.

I still can't believe you pulled that Graham Shaw and the Sincere Serenaders out of thin air like that. I thought nobody remembered that song except me.

Just thought of another one - what about "Boys Of Autumn" by David Roberts (1982) ? He's a session singer noted for his work with bands like Toto and other big acts, but collaborated a lot with Lee Aaron here in Canada. I'd love to get my hands on his one and only LP, "All Dressed Up." Most of the guys from Toto turned up as players on his album. "Boys of Autumn" is wicked smooth in production. I found a copy of it on the Web the other day after looking for about two years.

My faves from the Canadian 80's:

Coney Hatch - Hey Operator
    April Wine - Enough is Enough
    Toronto - Girl's Night Out
    Headpins - One More Time
    Grapes of Wrath - What Was Going Through My Head
    The Box - Must I Always Remember
    Strange Advance - We Run
    Frozen Ghost - Should I See
    ... plus so many more...

Keep up the good memories, everyone. I'm really enjoying it!
    OMG Coleman Wilde. I haven't heard that in years.

Every Canadian should remember Graham Shaw. That track was one of the best Canadian songs of 1980. 1980 was an excellent year for Canadian hits... some of my favourite Canadian songs were top 40 hits that year:

Leaving For Maui - Footloose
    Young and Restless - Prism
    It's Time (Chapter Three) - Saga
    Goodbye LA - Bob Segarini
    Innocence - Harlequin
    All the Tea in China - Susan Jacks
    Amour (Tu Es Ma Papillon) - Baron Longfellow

Graham Shaw had a helping hand in one of the greatest Canadian albums of 1990: Absolutely by Rik Emmett

He started in the band 'Surrender' and hit the Canadian top 40 twice in 1982 with It's All Been Done Before and Start Again, both of which he re-recorded for his 1984 debut album that also had We Should Be Lovers. From what I remember, his most successful hit (apart from his appearance on Northern Lights - Tears Are Not Enough) was Nothing Could Stand in Your Way in 1986
    Last edited by whistledog; 3-23-05 at 02:04 AM.

Re: eye eye

Quote Originally Posted by EYE EYE
    ahhh the 80's... i was just doing a search and thought "I wonder if the history of eye eye is anywhere online"? Alas, this is the only reference I found. Why would I be curious? I was the lead singer and front man when the band won the Q107 in 1984. Glorry days... great board here.. keep the 80's alive!

Michael bell

Well Michael, if the others don't remeber you, I certainly do. Eye Eye was one of many bands that came out of some those great radio station talent contest in the 80's.

Curious what the rest of the band members have been up to? ... if you're intersted in jamming and re-playing some of those Canadian 80's classics, give me a shout ...

BTW ... follow this link ... http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Pop_Encycl...E/Eye_Eye.html
    I believe you'll find the information pretty accurate

Mike (aka Canadian 80s)
    Last edited by Canadian80s; 3-29-05 at 10:20 PM.
    Canadian80's (aka Mike)

Stalked and Stalking the 'Ultimate' Dark Haired - Metal Queen (and part-time PalTalk DJ)... Annette

ValJ's Slave ... Hit me with your rythem stick ...

Stalked by one of exchanges many Hotties - TopCat

Stalking 'la bella' from Cali ... SouthernImage

.... all these women ... I gotta start a Harem

Be a pal ... add to my Rep

Anyone looking for hard to find Canadian 80's hits on mp3? I finished burning a whole bunch to mp3 and I'd be more than happy to share them with anyone who wants any of them:

The ones in BLUE are ones I ripped from CD. The ones in RED are ones I ripped from a cassette or Vinyl Record. If you want a Canadian 80's song on mp3 that's not listed here, lemme know. I might have it

Bob Segarini - Goodbye L.A. (1980)
    Belinda Metz - What About Me (1985)
    Blvd - Dream On (1988)
    Blvd - Far From Over (1988)
    Blvd - Never Give Up (1988)
    Chantal Condor - Marinero (1986)
    Chantal Condor - Nightmare (1986)
    Chantal Condor - You're driving Me Insane (1986)
    Chantal (Condor) - A Little Lovin' (1989)
    Doubledare - Date with the Past (1986)

FM - Just Like You (1985)
    Gary O - Shades of 45 (1984)
    Graham Shaw and the Sincere Serenaders - Can I Come Near (1980)
    Mensroom - Sign of the Times (1984)

Minutes From Downtown - Heaven Street (1983)
    Straight Lines - Roanne (1980)
    Sway - Hands Up [Give Me Your Heart] (1987)
    Tu - Stay With Me (1987)
    Last edited by whistledog; 4-01-05 at 09:46 PM.

Whistledog,
    I'd love a copy of Gary 'O - Shades of '45. Tried to PM you but the system wouldn't let me. Get a hold of me off line for an email address.

Re: TU AMANDA & CASSANDRA DIBLASI/ RINA di Blasi JOSI di Blasi 'SECRETS IN THE DARK'

TU - I just found out that the girls real names are RINA di Blasi and JOSI di Blasi ..they were also in a Canadian movie together in 1987 entitled CONCRETE ANGELS..RINA di Blasi is now married and I think her name now is RINA DE LUCA....AMANDA & CASSANDRA are TU's stage names..they are originally from WOODBRIDGE, ONTARIO. I do have a yahoo group for TU RINA AND JOSI di Blasi at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tumusic80s/

Quote Originally Posted by TUFAN80'S
    TU Amanda & Cassandra DiBlasi ...Canadian pop twin duo from the late 80's. Released 2 lp's...a self-titled one as well as SECRETS IN THE DARK...They also did a duet entitled LOVER with another Canadian artist Paris BLACK (the girls did amazing vocals on this track...and there are 2 version of the song a longer and shorter one...the longer one is much better). TU also supplied back-up vocals on a PLATINUM BLONDE track entitled FIRE and they also appeared in the video. TU released 4 music videos THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE, STAY WITH ME, LAST EMBRACE & I USED TO CRY..(I have all of their music videos) ....I USED TO CRY was filmed at Sunnyside Pavillion on Lakeshore Blvd in Toronto.

If anyone would like me to make them copies of TU's cds or send them mp3's via email, just drop me a line at kirkbulmer@hotmail.com

** Also if anyone has any info past or present on TU or has any photos of them or ever had the chance to meet them or see them perform live please let me know....

Re:ATTENTION 'WHISTLEDOG' Canadian One Hit Wonders ...

Hello WHISTLEDOG:
    Could you send me the mp3 for CHANTAL CONDOR's track "A LITTLE LOVIN'"
    please and thank you kirkbulmer@yahoo.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by whistledog
    Anyone looking for hard to find Canadian 80's hits on mp3? I finished burning a whole bunch to mp3 and I'd be more than happy to share them with anyone who wants any of them:
    The ones in BLUE are ones I ripped from CD. The ones in RED are ones I ripped from a cassette or Vinyl Record. If you want a Canadian 80's song on mp3 that's not listed here, lemme know. I might have it
    Bob Segarini - Goodbye L.A. (1980)
    Belinda Metz - What About Me (1985)
    Blvd - Dream On (1988)
    Blvd - Far From Over (1988)
    Blvd - Never Give Up (1988)
    Chantal Condor - Marinero (1986)
    Chantal Condor - Nightmare (1986)
    Chantal Condor - You're driving Me Insane (1986)
    Chantal (Condor) - A Little Lovin' (1989)
    Doubledare - Date with the Past (1986)

FM - Just Like You (1985)
    Gary O - Shades of 45 (1984)
    Graham Shaw and the Sincere Serenaders - Can I Come Near (1980)
    Mensroom - Sign of the Times (1984)

Minutes From Downtown - Heaven Street (1983)
    Straight Lines - Roanne (1980)
    Sway - Hands Up [Give Me Your Heart] (1987)
    Tu - Stay With Me (1987)

I'm trying to find a song....but all I can remember is the video....

...black and white video...male duo...one with big, big, curly black hair...the other had short blond hair...

it was some sappy ballad where they were wandering on the streets or singing at each other in a loft type space.

this has been driving me up the wall...anyone?

Re: Canadian One Hit Wonders ...ACOSTA RUSELL

Hello there...the answer to your question is ACOSTA RUSSELL...and the song is NEVER CHANGE MY MIND...the video gets played alot on MUCH MORE RETRO...I still like the song and video....the guys released 2 lps and that was all...they are Canadian....out of Toronto....
    My best to you, Kirk (Montreal, Canada)
    email: cowboyboots_12@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DozyCat
    I'm trying to find a song....but all I can remember is the video....
    ...black and white video...male duo...one with big, big, curly black hair...the other had short blond hair...
    it was some sappy ballad where they were wandering on the streets or singing at each other in a loft type space.
    this has been driving me up the wall...anyone?

I was just reading some of these and had to make a correction. Idle Eyes did sing the song Tokyo Rose but not Promises Promises which was done by The Naked Eyes who's major hit was Always Something There To Remind Me. As for Canadian one hit wonders how about Aldo Nova "Fantasy" or The Kings "This Beat Goes On/Switchin To Glide"

"This Beat Gose On/"Switchin To Glide" is my fave song. I've got it on vinyl but want to find it on Cd. I've never been able to find the ful version on Cd. They either just put the "Switchin To Glide part on only, or They put "This Beat Gose On, seperate the 2 song medly by sticking another song in between and then putting "Switchin To Glide af that. It really makes me mad. To me that's sacrelig. I'm also looking for the album by Chilawack called "Want To Be A Star." Please excuse the spelling. I know it wasn't right. Anyone know where I can find those two? Hope all of that made sence.

"This Beat Goes On/Switching To Glide" was released in 1980 by The Kings. I have the full version of the song (both halves, not separated) on an all-Canadian song collection, a 4-CD box set called "Oh What A Feeling Vol. 2." It's a limited edition box set and no longer available, so don't try looking unless someone is selling their copy on eBay. I share your feelings about the song, it's a good crank-it-in-the-car-with-the-windows-down song.

Thanks for the help. I know you said not to go looking for it, but I'm a stubern record and Cd collector, and I know myself too well. I'll probably try to hunt it down. Thanks again.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information