Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Greatest Rock Guitarists

80s Forum: Greatest Rock Guitarists

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the Greatest Rock Guitarist ever?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jimi Hendrix

13 27.08%
  • Eric Clapton

3 6.25%
  • Jimmy Paige

1 2.08%
  • Jeff Beck

1 2.08%
  • Steve Vai

0 0%
  • Joe Satriani

1 2.08%
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan

2 4.17%
  • Yngwie Malmsteen

1 2.08%
  • Brian May

3 6.25%
  • Carlos Santana

1 2.08%
  • Other (Please Specify)

22 45.83%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Greatest Rock Guitarists

Now this list is not exhaustive but its MY list so there!!!! There is an "Other" option so if I've missed anyone, I do apologise.

So here goes: Who is your favourite Rock Guitarist of all time? And Why?
    http://proudfootband.ie/ - PROUDFOOT Soul and Funk Band!

Re: Greatest Rock Guitarists

I went with Mr. Jimi Hendrix. The first time i ever heard his music I was about 6. It blew my mind! I've been listening to him ever since.
    ~*uuɐloɹɐɔ~*
    Stalked by the fantabulos Prefab Sprouter
    Partners in Crime with Annette
    Proud member of the metal chick posse
    Member of the Xchange Badgirl club!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    ~ Ellen Goodman

Trekkin By Harket..

Boston Bruins

John Sykes still is the most impressive I have ever seen live.

Steve Stevens comes in a very close second.
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government" - Thomas Jefferson.

I like Eddie Van Halen
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Stevie Ray Vaughan. His renditions of Voodoo Chile & Little Wing are incredible.

Even though his stuff has been copied and probably out dated.. Eddie Van Halen does things that boggles the mind... but all the rest are Great too... how do you pick from such greatness.

HOUSTON, TX or BUST! Ready or Not, Here We Come!

A PASSIONATE HEART... HAS A DECISIVE MIND... and
    A DECISIVE MIND... MAKES NO EXCUSES!!!

Hendrix, hands down...end of story. What he did at the time he did it has never been duplicated. Eddie Van Halen did some awesome things, but he pretty much just took things others had done before and twisted them into his own style. Jimi was the innovator, the creator, and the most influential guitarist that ever strapped on a Stratocaster. Often imitated, never equalled. The proof is that when you ask ALL of the others that have been mentioned in this poll, THEY will tell you the same thing.

Jasper, I had the pleasure of opening for Sykes twice last year, and while he's an incredible guitaist, he's doing nothing that is pushing the boundaries of guitar playing. That is why I can't say he's the best ever. Same with Malmsteen, while he's AMAZING, he's not doing anything that hasn't been done before....he's only doing it faster.

The list is also very limited to rock guitarists. There are MANY fusion, jazz and blues guitarists who SMOKE alot of the players on this list.

I went with Hendrix...he was the master without a doubt
    but I think Stevie Ray Vaughan comes in a close second...I became a fan of his when my highschool boyfriend (a guitarist), who idolized Stevie Ray Vaughan introduced me to his music. I was blown away.

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

I voted other. I don't know if he is considered a "Rock guitarist" per se, but without him, none, and I mean NONE of these other artists could have done what they did. I am talking about Les Paul!

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Quote Originally Posted by djdaffy1227
    I voted other. I don't know if he is considered a "Rock guitarist" per se, but without him, none, and I mean NONE of these other artists could have done what they did. I am talking about Les Paul!
    That's only if they played a Gibson. Fender users owe no allegeance to poor ol' Les.

Being left handed, I would have to vote for Jimi Hendrix.
    Sneaking a peek at Princess P
    Waiting for BrownEyedGirl to come my way, again and again.

Richard's Dazed and Confused Website

Hendrix - not even close..........

But one of my fav's is Tommy Emmanuel
    Last edited by HairMetalFantasy; 2-23-04 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    Please Visit My Homepage Below - It's dedicated to individuals like yourself......
    http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/hairmetalfantasy

I too went with Hendrix because of his totally original way of playing and the fact that he totally redefined how guitarists play and virtually invented rock guitar. Clapton, Beck and Paige were still playing (albeit masterfully) blues music but after Hendrix arrived they changed their style of play.

When Hendrix arrived in England in 1965 he played the Crawdaddy and the Marquee club as an "introduction" to the hip and fashionable of swinging London. the crowd was composed of contemporaries such as John Mayall, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Paige, Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney. Most of them left the arena in awe of what Hendrix had done. Beck reputedly left in tears, such was Hendrix's playing.

Hendrix himself considered Clapton "The Best Guitarist in the world", and indeed he was the cause of the BBC 6 o'clock news being televised late for the first time in its history. Hendrix was appearing on "The Lulu Show" and this was the week that Cream had split up. Halfway through the song "Voodoo Chile" Hendrix suddenly stopped and said "Lets stop playing this crap". To the astonishment of studio execs and delight of audiences he cut suddenly into "White Room"!!! The video of this is still available and you can see the BBC staff running around like headless chickens whilst Hendrix storms through the Cream number!!! It's priceless. But I digress. Hendrix's music still sounds very fresh and relevant and the very fact that he defined the whole "Rock Guitarist" thing means that he is probably the most influential of this list.

But my favourite would be Clapton's guitar playing with Cream. For me there is no better!!

I voted other.

Hendrix was the all time great, no doubt.

But for my money, Randy Rhoads gets the nod. His fusion of classical guitar technique with heavy metal was groundbreaking. I think if he had lived longer, he would've eclipsed all of the guitar greats.
    Last edited by nolanbuc; 2-24-04 at 05:26 AM.
    nolanbuc - the Commish
    "Hijacking threads and beating dead horses since 2001"

World Fantasy Sports - Official Home of the World Fantasy Football League.

I went with Jimi Hendrix on this one. My second place vote goes to Eddie Van Halen.

Quote Originally Posted by nolanbuc
    I voted other.

Hendrix was the all time great, no doubt.

But for my money, Randy Rhoads gets the nod. His fusion of classical guitar technique with heavy metal was groundbreaking. I think if he had lived longer, he would've eclipsed all of the guitar greats.
    Randy definitely would have gone on to awesome heights had he lived. Good call Nolan!

Yngwie pretty much picked up the gauntlet after Randy's death. Ask Yngwie who his main influence is and he'll tell you it was classical violinist Paganini.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan
    Randy definitely would have gone on to awesome heights had he lived. Good call Nolan!

Yngwie pretty much picked up the gauntlet after Randy's death. Ask Yngwie who his main influence is and he'll tell you it was classical violinist Paganini.
    Like Randy I think Jimi hadnt reached his peak at the time of his death. Of all the High Profile Deaths of rock stars in the late 60's early 70's only Jimi had yet to peak. Jim and Janis had already gone into decline

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan
    That's only if they played a Gibson. Fender users owe no allegeance to poor ol' Les.
    I respectfully disagree, every electric guitar company have used Les Paul's innovations to better their guitars

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

I know how important and great Jimmi Hendrix is, he just isnt my favorite.

My favorites are a tie between Eddie VanHalen and Angus Young. Eddie because he's Eddie frikkin VanHalen, and Angus because of his mad headbangin skill.

Visit MY PAGE now. Do it. You know you want to. DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by djdaffy1227
    I respectfully disagree, every electric guitar company have used Les Paul's innovations to better their guitars
    And you are 100% correct!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information