Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Shakin' Stevens

80s Forum: Shakin' Stevens

Thread: Shakin' Stevens

Shakin' Stevens

Does anyone remember Shakin' Stevens?

He attempted to bring the sound of the 50's and 60's into the new wave, and succeeded big time by becoming THE best selling 80's artist in England, yet through all his success, he became a one hit wonder in America with the song I Cry Just A Little Bit

He released only those three LP's above here in Canada and had a few single releases, but I only remember I Cry Just A Little Bit. I have all three of his Canadian LP's on Cassette (which were not easy to find) as well as 2 of his UK Greatest Hits CDs and I must say, they are all some of the greatest 80's releases I own
    Last edited by whistledog; 8-04-04 at 12:51 AM.

Re: Shakin' Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by godeltsihw
    Does anyone remember Shakin' Stevens?

He attempted to bring the sound of the 50's and 60's into the new wave, and succeeded big time by becoming THE best selling 80's artist in England, yet through all his success, he became a one hit wonder in America with the song I Cry Just A Little Bit

He released only those three LP's above here in Canada and had a few single releases, but I only remember I Cry Just A Little Bit. I have all three of his Canadian LP's on Cassette (which were not easy to find) as well as 2 of his UK Greatest Hits CDs and I must say, they are all some of the greatest 80's releases I own
    YES! YES! YES!
    I remember Shaky, but i was only a kid.
    From 'Hot Dog' in '79 to'81 i bought all his records. Why? I have no idea.
    He was a 'Happy Shopper' Elvis and i cringe, and i do mean cringe when i think i actually told friends i liked him. I was a child.
    I never thought anyone would mention him now, i've pushed those embarrassing memories from my mind. And now the horror has come back.
    Excuse me i'm not feeling well!

Coming from Canada, i love listening to all of the 80's music that North America did not get, and Shaky is top of the list (Status Quo comes second with Cliff Richard a distant third)

I'm actully quite surprised he only had just the 1 hit over here, because alot of the other 50's style artists of the 80's like Stars on 45 (aka Starsound in the UK) and The Stray Cats were very successful here, but then again others like The Polecats and Showaddywaddy did not reach our side of the atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by gazza67
    YES! YES! YES!
    I remember Shaky, but i was only a kid.
    From 'Hot Dog' in '79 to'81 i bought all his records. Why? I have no idea.
    He was a 'Happy Shopper' Elvis and i cringe, and i do mean cringe when i think i actually told friends i liked him. I was a child.
    I never thought anyone would mention him now, i've pushed those embarrassing memories from my mind. And now the horror has come back.
    Excuse me i'm not feeling well!
    Oi oi oi! Shaky rules, he did then and he still does now!! I only just re-discovered his music thanks to the wonders of Napster.co.uk allowing me to download his greatest hits album.

So I'm here to say embarrassing memories they are not!

When he stopped trying to be Elvis and found his way out of the 50's he did some fine pop songs (Particularly 'Give me your heat tonight') but what brings the money in for me is being just an Elvis impersonator.
    "The outlaw stance is so pedantic
    Hate the world, it's so romantic"

Shakey had the grand total of 29 hits plus another 1 in a duet with Bonnie Tyler during the 80's

That's a lot of good Rockin'

He bought unbridled joy to thousands of Grandmothers during the 1980's....as the new 'Elvis'....
    Stalker of TC and Jen
    Milani's partner in Crime
    Official supplier of Officially Crap UK music to DJDaffy
    Stalker of BrandyBlue

My favorite was "Hey Mae." I used to play it together with Robert Gordon on my radio show. Loved it!

Hi i'm new and came across this on Shakin Stevens...I.m a massive fan (ever since I was little) and love all his songs......Everyone who likes him should buy his Collection /dvd (if not already got it) It rocks....
    I;m also in the unofficial message board which is......
    Unofficail Shakin' Stevens message board-@www.aimoo.com
    http://www.aimoo.com/forum/

Oh you must all vote for him to win HMBOMT, and lets all get 'shakin' again and make him number1.....

listen! i wont av a word said against shaky he was fab i've got his gr8test hits, its top!!!!!! my bro had all his albums - gr8 memories

I loved Shakey when I was a kid. And took a lot of flack for that (probably also had a lot to do with the fact that I told everyone he was my father). But then I 'grew up' i.e. I became a teen and I sold my Shakey collection for a variety of New Wave and New Romantic material. I have a lot of fond memories of him.

I lived in Wales for a year and every time I drove by the area where he was said to live, my heart warmed.

Hurrah Brother, my fave hit was also 'Give me your heart tonight' followed closely by 'oh Julie.' And his duet with Bonnie Tyler ....

On a different note, didn't he start out in the West End as Elvis or in some 50s show? I can see why he'd go on doing that.

Thumbs up Re: Shakin' Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by shakylou
    Hi i'm new and came across this on Shakin Stevens...I.m a massive fan (ever since I was little) and love all his songs......Everyone who likes him should buy his Collection /dvd (if not already got it) It rocks....
    I;m also in the unofficial message board which is......
    Unofficail Shakin' Stevens message board-@www.aimoo.com
    http://www.aimoo.com/forum/

Oh you must all vote for him to win HMBOMT, and lets all get 'shakin' again and make him number1.....
    shakylou are you sure your not... the real... SHAKY, coz thats a bit ov pluging going on there and hes from wales too...nudge nudge wink wink LOL
    p.s. i,m from wales too...hi

Hi Everyone This is my First Post.
    Shakin Stevens is doing a UK tour this year. I have listed all the dates and Venues.

NOVEMBER

22nd Eastbourne - Congress Theatre 01323 411555
    23rd Chatham - Central Theatre 01634 338338
    24th Malvern - Festival Hall 01684 892277
    25th Oxford - New Theatre 0870 606 3500
    27th Manchester - Opera House 0870 401 9000
    29th Liverpool - Philharmonic 0151 210 2895
    30th Newcastle - City Hall 0191 2612606

DECEMBER

1st Llandudno - North Wales Theatre 01492 872000
    2nd Skegness - Embassy 01754 768333
    4th Cardiff - St David's Hall 029 2087 8444
    5th Plymouth - Pavilion 01752 229922
    7th Kings Lynn - Corn Exchange 01553 764864
    8th Birmingham - Alexandra Theatre 0870 607 7533
    9th Preston - Guildhall 01772 258858
    10th York - Opera House 0870 606 3595
    12th Perth - Concert Hall 0845 612 6320
    13th Aberdeen - Music Hall 01224 641122
    16th Bradford - St Georges Hall 01274 432000
    17th Worthing - Assembly Hall 01903 206206
    18th London Shepherds Bush Empire 0870 771 2000

I only remember This Old House, Green Door and Oh Julie. All great songs in my humble opinion!
    I'm 40 now....is my life over???

Oh I remember Shakey all right. for me he was a bit of a novelty act although I still love hearing some of his tunes. I think with the whole "Elvis" look he was unfairly criticised by people (and myself included) and that hid the fact that there were some cracking pop tunes in there.
    http://proudfootband.ie/ - PROUDFOOT Soul and Funk Band!

Shakin Stevens had 12 hits here in the Netherlands, I like Oh Julie best.

Have you heard shakys new single "Trouble" it was Released in June this Year after shaky won the Final of ITV's Hit me baby one more time.
    Shakys cover of this song is fantastic
    Last edited by shakysgirl; 7-20-05 at 09:39 AM.

Thread Information