Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Trixter - Page 2

80s Forum: Trixter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trixter

Re: Trixter

Quote Originally Posted by RiffMaster
    I posed as the owner of a small, local fanzine writing a story on "the next big thing", and called all of the major record companies' A&R departments. I asked for the rep that would handle Rock and/or Metal, and when I got these people on the phone (which beleive it or not I did) the main thing I asked them is what they are looking for, What did they ALL say? "Something different; something that defies current trends." Hmph!

Damn straight Riffmaster, that is exactly how it was, is, and always will be. I am an artist and I see the same thing in the galleries. I have to laugh. I call it preaching to the gullable and the execs have it down to a science. Most people don't realize how money and greed driven the industry is. It is not about the product but the bottom line. These guys will drive a trend into the ground and never lose a step. It is probably the reason that I go out of my way to find more obscure talent. It just seems more real. I still listen to mainstream stuff but I like to support the more artistic side if I can.

Jaiz, IMHO you're right to a point. If that was 100% correct than some of music's other genre's would've died a long time ago. Like take rap for instance. Sure it's changed over the last 20 years but still is selling a lot of records. And everytime there is a new rap "artist" that becomes popular there are bunches of "cookie cutter" rappers who try to ride their success. But that hasn't killed it yet. Even Priest and Maiden in their largest time of success had clone "leather & chains" bands that tried to imitate them and get signed. And some did. Grim Reaper for instance. But if we look deeper into what killed mainstream Metal (I mean Metal's not really dead, right. There are still are bands like Livesay around and all of us here still like it and buy "metal" CDs) was the fans who buy the records. Sorry. If Nirvana, no matter how much they suck, wouldn't have sold any records than they would have stayed underground where they belonged. The record companies are always looking for the next big thing that will make them the most amount of $. Remember they are a business and are not necessarily in it for the "artistict" value of music. So now that grunge is finitto they are waiting for the next wave that will come, someday. It's just the kids now who are getting into the music industry now are out of original ideas and are just "tweaking" what's out there now. But rest assured, their will be something new eventually. Let's just hope it's better than grunge this time.
    Andrés Segovia (1893-1987)

Cyber Brother of SouthernImage Sicilian Cyber Brother of Annette
    "Smelly Sticker" Cyber Brother of Punky Power

Cyber Brother of BlackOyster
    jen*'s "King Of The Shovel" Brother
    Completely awestruck by my incredible keriberri!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BCRichRocker4JC
    take rap for instance. Sure it's changed over the last 20 years but still is selling a lot of records. And everytime there is a new rap "artist" that becomes popular there are bunches of "cookie cutter" rappers who try to ride their success. But that hasn't killed it yet.
    The thing about rap, love it or hate it, is that they take care of their own. That does not happen much in other forms of music. For metal we have Sanctuary and Roadrunner and some even smaller labels. They keep the music alive but don't have the budget or influence of the majors. The rap "Moguls" use the majors to distribute the product, not control it. They keep the artists under their own start up labels and make it almost family like. Most other forms of music should take note. Look back to Motowns heyday and it was the same. That is why while a few types of music buck trends, most follow the same pattern.
    Last edited by Senator Jaiz; 8-13-04 at 10:41 AM.

I know. Metal Blade Records is one also. They had Slayer signed before they got a major deal. But my point still remains. Someone has to buy the records and make it profitable, indie label or not, in order to have "staying" power. And there are and have been for the last 20 years, millions of people buying rap records. I wish I could've said the same of Metal. Whether the Label does a huge promotion or not.

You have to remember that we're only talking about the States here. Metal is flourishing in Europe. The problem with the States is that when the next "new thing" comes in, more often than not the fans abandon the "old thing". Not so in Europe.

And it isn't really the record industry either. In the USA, MTV forces the next big thing down everyone's throats, and the kids today are f*cking sheep who cannot think for themselves and end up liking a form of music so they won't be deemed "uncool" by their peers. Said, pathetic lemmings.....

Yeah, there is a great metal scene over here. As a matter of fact a lot of bands that people in the states might think called it a day a long time ago are still going strong over here. It is one of the perks that I gained when I moved here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan
    Never could stand Trixter...I always considered them a "3rd Tier" band.
    Could you explain that one? I always thought they just sucked.

Nevermind I found your explanation.

I still maintain that grunge killed metal here in the states. A lot of metal disappeared when that happened. Then there was that whole "I'm so sad" crap that would've made the Cure look happy music happening.. Staind, Creed, etc... ARGH! I vote we all move overseas.
    Last edited by Creeps; 8-16-04 at 12:10 PM.
    http://www.ttops.net
    1st ever Fiona web site!
    http://www.ttops.net/fiona
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Creeps
    I still maintain that grunge killed metal here in the states.
    That is true....but it's kind of like cause and effect.

Grunge was a direct response to the glut of hair bands that came out. People were sick of them and needed an alternative.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if hair bands didn't rule the scene and the TRUE metal bands were the ones who were still standing....

Even though I've shyed away from most of my hair metal faves over the years, I'll take them anyday over Grunge. I just wish that MTV would disapper. The music world would be a better place without it.
    Last edited by Poison PJ; 8-16-04 at 06:00 PM.
    "I swear on tomorrow, if you take this chance
    Our lives are this moment, the music - the dance
    And here in this labyrinth of lost mysteries
    I close my eyes on this night and you're all that I see" - Savatage
    Faithful Warrior Of The Mountain King
    Proud Member Of The Fozzy Army
    #2 MF'r
    Defender Of Glam Rock
    Video Game Addicit
    Prince Of The R˙che & Self Proclamed Smartest Person In The Whole Universe
    http://www.myspace.com/pjblade

Quote Originally Posted by Poison PJ
    I'll take them anyday over Grunge. I just wish that MTV would disapper. The music world would be a better place without it.
    Amen to this post!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poison PJ
    I just wish that MTV would disapper. The music world would be a better place without it.
    Here in the U.K. on Sky TV we have almost 20 music video stations. Of those we have 4 MTV and 3 VH1. All of the rest are pay per view. It is really great!

We have Scuzz and Kerrang which is hard rock and metal. During the day there are programs that showcase the eighties on Kerrang. Last week Scuzz was dedicated to Mettalica vs. Iron Maiden. They would show blocks of Maiden and Mettalica plus documentaries on the two.

The pay per view system is really cool as you see what is really popular rather than what is being pushed by the industry as popular. This is one of the reasons that music is less fad driven here.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator Jaiz
    Here in the U.K. on Sky TV we have almost 20 music video stations. Of those we have 4 MTV and 3 VH1. All of the rest are pay per view. It is really great!

We have Scuzz and Kerrang which is hard rock and metal. During the day there are programs that showcase the eighties on Kerrang. Last week Scuzz was dedicated to Mettalica vs. Iron Maiden. They would show blocks of Maiden and Mettalica plus documentaries on the two.

The pay per view system is really cool as you see what is really popular rather than what is being pushed by the industry as popular. This is one of the reasons that music is less fad driven here.
    Ok, I'm moving to the UK. Anyone wanna join me?

OK, my bad. Scuzz and Kerrang are not like pay per view movies or sporting events but like the Box in the states. You can watch for free but you pay .50 p to choose the songs. Every show has a list of about 40 to choose from. Right now it is 3:20 in the afternoon and Hell's Decibles is on. The last three videos were "Duality"by Slipknot, "Swamped" by Lacuna Coil, and "Sad but True" by Metallica. DAMN! Trixter is not on the list.

I just picked up the Trixter (self titled album) off Ebay for 50 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxy
    Don't worry about it Roxxy. If you like them more power to ya. Music is highly subjective to the individual and is a matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRichRocker4JC
    Don't worry about it Roxxy. If you like them more power to ya. Music is highly subjective to the individual and is a matter of taste.
    Exactly! Otherwise Poison would have been gone LONG ago!

U So Damn Right,pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Not a PC thug
    I just picked up the Trixter (self titled album) off Ebay for 50 cents.

heheh I think you got robbed
    http://www.ttops.net
    1st ever Fiona web site!
    http://www.ttops.net/fiona
    ------

The ironic thing is for such a 3rd Tier band we sure spent a lot of time posting about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information