Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322
VCRs

80s Forum: VCRs

Thread: VCRs

VCRs

When did you get your VCR? What brand was it? We got ours in 1983 and was an RCA and it was a top loader! Remmeber those? That thing would always break down half way though a tape.

Re: VCRs

I wasn't in possession of a VCR until we moved in with my stepdad in 1986. It was a Panasonic 4-head, and it was pretty decent for its time. I've never actually purchased a VCR until this past Christmas; bought a Sony VCR/DVD combo.

Mine was a JC Penney top loader that had a "cord" remote control, around 1983.

Ours was a huge Sony Betamax. Top loader with the cord remote. That was back when MTV first started and I would sit and record videos ALL NIGHT! What I wouldn't give to find those old tapes...

Quote Originally Posted by PG
    Ours was a huge Sony Betamax. Top loader with the cord remote. That was back when MTV first started and I would sit and record videos ALL NIGHT! What I wouldn't give to find those old tapes...
    I still have a couple tapes floating around of MTV's 120 minutes from 1986 timeframe.

The first one i bought was a RCA VFT 250 top loader and corded remote. Still have it, still works. The second i bought was a Sony Betamax SL-HF 450 Still got it and it still works
    Yes,i'm a new world samurai and a redneck none the less

Talking Re: VCRs

Quote Originally Posted by stlkev70
    When did you get your VCR? What brand was it? We got ours in 1983 and was an RCA and it was a top loader! Remmeber those? That thing would always break down half way though a tape.
    Hi stlkev70:

Hmmmmmmmm I can't even remember....Giggles....

My Dad owned an Electronics Equipment/Copy Business and I remember our family had Beta and so many different vcr's that were state of the art. We had Beta, before anybody else did. I really can't say what the brand or models were, as I was around 9 ish at the time when we got our first vcr and my Dad had begun that business. I do remember my Dad had Panasonic & Samsung brands, but really don't know which one was the earliest one we got.

Now, my very first VCR of owned and bought for myself (not my parents/families property) was a Panasonic (I think), but I can't remember the model. I bought it when I was 17 1/2.
    Last edited by AngelicR; 8-26-04 at 11:45 AM.

My first video player was a Panasonic Betamax top loader in 1986, though it wasn't long before VHS took over as the main format for video's, so trying to rent films became impossible so I watched my copy of the 'Blues Brothers' till it wore out.

Nowadays I don't even own a TV let alone a video or DVD player, since I got rid of my last one back in 1999.

HAHah...we first had a beta. Then we got modernized we got a REAL VCR. But I can't remember when? I still have mine, (new...not sure the brand) I still use it for my old movies. DVD player on top of it.

Wow, hearing the word VCR seems so outdated... I'm getting old We got our's around 1982. It was all silver & I think was a Panasonic. So long ago... I remember taping MTV videos & fitting so many movies on one tape

Remember having to slam it close a couple times VCR that is!
    Then the amazing...rewinder came into play!

My parents first VCR was a Panasonic VHS they bought in 1986/7 at a Silo for $600. It was a very good unit, lasted until 2000. I later purchased a used Betamax in 2002 for $50, and now I have about 5 other Beta decks and a few hundred tapes. I use the VCR daily, and have most of my movies on them. Its still Better than VHS! Believe it or not, we have VHS tapes from last month that look worse than Beta tapes from 1978!

The first VCR I can recall owning was a Sears Model. I never had a toploader. Never smoked one either

In 1988, my mom finally got her first VCR: a JVC HR-D2000U--a front-loader. (I don't think it works anymore, but my mom still has it.)

For Christmas 2002, I finally got my first VCR: a JVC HR-591U--another front-loader. (In August, 2003, I bought a Magnavox videocassette rewinder. I let it rewind videocassettes, thus reducing wear and tear on my VCR.)
    Last edited by JS; 12-20-04 at 08:35 PM.

We were literally the last family on the block in my neighborhood. My bother and I had begged my dad for months to get one. Finally, he gave in and got us one. I think this was around 1987 or 88. It was a JVC. I will never forget my dad setting it up. Let's just say he said a few words that I knew I should not repeat. We actually still have the VCR and it still works!!

We got our first VCR in 1986. It was an Emerson that we bought at the former Apex store in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. We had it for several years until it started to eat up our VCR tapes.

When I was young my family had a Betamax! I think we got a VCR in the late 80's... DVD player maybe in the mid 90's.
    I am back to the future! 80'style! Officialy a Child of the 80's...

Quote Originally Posted by PG
    Ours was a huge Sony Betamax.
    I didnt ever see a BETAMAX machine,what did it look like? I reckon it was ANALOGUE like a VCR is,did it look and sound as good as a VCR does??

I prefer and love my VCR (I prefer analogue over anything digital as far as that stuff goes)

My family was very late at getting a VCR...it was 1990 and it was a Magnavox. Before that we would rent those VCRs that you could get at the video store to watch movies on.

I have since been told that BETAMAX's looked BETTER THAN A VCR (Cause it used all the tape while a VCR only uses 1/2 (Like a cassette))

Its too bad BETAs lost the marketing war......

Thread Information