Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322
More men are suffering from eating disorders(!)

80s Forum: More men are suffering from eating disorders(!)

More men are suffering from eating disorders(!)

An increasing number of men are suffering from eating disorders.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    I'm on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jeffsteele
    BUT...I'm NO LONGER on Twitter!

35 years of
    THE TRANSFORMERS
    1984-2019

Re: More men are suffering from eating disorders(!)

Thank you for a very informative article, and even more for promoting awareness.

I must say, that it saddens me to know that in a world with diseases like HIV and Cancer, it is illnesses such as eating disorders that are still such killers - something that can actually be remedied is still taking lives and hurting people!
    Last edited by Michelle_TAV; 9-22-04 at 05:48 AM.

I've always thought anorexia and (especially) bulimia were a rarity in men.
    I'm on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jeffsteele
    BUT...I'm NO LONGER on Twitter!

35 years of
    THE TRANSFORMERS
    1984-2019

So did I - another suprising fact for me, was that men have also been known to suffer from breast cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_TAV
    Thank you for a very informative article, and even more for promoting awareness.

I must say, that it saddens me to know that in a world with diseases like HIV and Cancer, it is illnesses such as eating disorders that are still such killers - something that can actually be remedied is still taking lives and hurting people!
    I apologize in advance, and realize that I'll probably get beat up over this, but I have no sympathy for people with eating disorders or other addictions. Cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, muscular dystrophy, these are illnesses. Something someone chooses to indulge in, knowing it's self-destructive, is not an illness. It's a choice, pure and simple.
    Last edited by Black Oyster; 9-23-04 at 09:04 AM.
    ~~Stalking SouthernImage~~

You do not let your eyes see, nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Do you not think that there are things which you cannot undersand and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot? -- Abraham Van Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by Black Oyster
    I apologize in advance, and realize that I'll probably get beat up over this, but I have no sympathy for people with eating disorders or other addictions. Cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, muscular dystrophy, these are illnesses. Something someone chooses to indulge in, knowing it's self-destructive, is not an illness. It's a choice, pure and simple.
    You've obviously never known anyone personally with an addiction or an eating disorder.

I've learnt that Aneroxia is more of a CONTROL issue then anything else. The people who suffer this are smart and like to be able to controls things. When they can' control an issue they susbsitute another to control. Food is the easiest thing to control. It doesn't fight back with you or argue with you.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernImage
    I've learnt that Aneroxia is more of a CONTROL issue then anything else. The people who suffer this are smart and like to be able to controls things. When they can' control an issue they susbsitute another to control. Food is the easiest thing to control. It doesn't fight back with you or argue with you.
    You are absolutely right!

Quote Originally Posted by PG
    You've obviously never known anyone personally with an addiction or an eating disorder.
    I sure have, even in my own family. And I know that millions of people every day are conquering addictions of various sorts with nothing but guts and sometimes a good support system. It all boils down to what one wants the most in life.
    ~~Stalking SouthernImage~~

You do not let your eyes see, nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Do you not think that there are things which you cannot undersand and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot? -- Abraham Van Helsing

Thread Information