Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322
Let's Hope The Jury Breaks With Tradition

80s Forum: Let's Hope The Jury Breaks With Tradition

Let's Hope The Jury Breaks With Tradition

According to Neal Boortz, the jury in this particular county has had to try only two death penalty cases, and didn't grant the death penalty in either. Let's hope they do the right thing this time.

Updated: 06:01 AM EST
    Laci's Mom Lashes Out at Peterson
    Penalty Phase Begins for Murders
    By BRIAN SKOLOFF, AP

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (Dec. 1) - Scott Peterson simply watched as his former mother-in-law rose out of the witness chair and screamed at him for killing his pregnant wife, Laci.

Sharon Rocha, wearing a gold heart-shaped pendent with a picture of her daughter in it, took the stand Tuesday in the penalty phase of Peterson's murder trial. She wrapped up the state's case the same day it began, giving the most emotional testimony of four family members called to the stand. Laci's older brother, younger sister and stepfather also spoke.

"She wanted to be a mother. That was taken away from her,'' Rocha said to Peterson, who was convicted Nov. 12 for the 2002 murders of his wife and the 8-month-old fetus she was carrying.

Rocha went on, her voice cracking.

"Divorce was always an option - not murder,'' Rocha said in a voice so loud that some jurors jumped.

At one point, Peterson dabbed his eyes with a tissue. Jurors will recommend whether the 32-year-old former fertilizer salesman should be executed or get life in prison without the possibility of parole for the 2002 murders.

Throughout the testimony, prosecutors displayed photographs of Laci, including one from Mother's Day 2002. Taken a week after Laci's 27th birthday, the picture showed Laci, her mother and her grandmother.

Mother's Day, Rocha told the jury, would never be the same.

"The first Mother's Day (after her death) I laid on the floor and I cried most of the day because she should have been there,'' she sobbed, her chest heaving.

"I can hear her giggling,'' Rocha said, gazing at a larger-than-life image of her daughter displayed on a white wall screen. "She didn't just smile, she would giggle. She would kind of bend over when she would laugh.''

Earlier, prosecutor Dave Harris said Laci's death left a hole in her family's hearts "that can never be repaired.''

"When the defendant dumped the bodies of his wife and unborn son into the bay, those ripples spread out and they touched many, many lives,'' Harris told jurors.

The only appropriate punishment, he said, is death.

Prosecutors had argued at trial that Peterson strangled or smothered his wife in their Modesto home on or around Christmas Eve 2002, then dumped her body into San Francisco Bay. The remains were discovered four months later a few miles from where Scott Peterson claims to have been fishing the day his wife vanished.

"It was just the worst thing you could think about, like a nightmare,'' Amy Rocha, Laci's younger sister, said, describing how she felt as she helped search for her sister.

Brent Rocha, Laci's older brother, said he tries to remember the good times they shared, but those memories are "overshadowed all the time by how she died ... and maybe her knowing who did it.''

"I don't think I've ever heard her be more excited than the day she called me up to tell me she was pregnant,'' he said. "She was going to be a great mother.''

The defense was expected to begin presenting its case Wednesday. Witnesses testifying on Peterson's behalf can speak about anything that might show him in a favorable light as his attorneys try to convince jurors his life is worth sparing.

12/01/04 05:29 EST
    ~~Stalking SouthernImage~~

You do not let your eyes see, nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Do you not think that there are things which you cannot undersand and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot? -- Abraham Van Helsing

Re: Let's Hope The Jury Breaks With Tradition

I doubt there is ANYTHING they can present that will show that asshole in a favorable light....

F*CK THE SENTENCE...I'm warming up the woodchipper...

Quote Originally Posted by PaperGirl
    I doubt there is ANYTHING they can present that will show that asshole in a favorable light....
    I agree...he is SO vile
    Leilani

Either way it goes a pretty boy like that will someones bitch in prison! He wished he would of thought about divorce instead of killing her. Either way he would of gotten what he deserved.

I doubt he'll get death. A life sentence might be more torcher anyway! I was so sad when I heard Lacy's mom saying she (Lacy) deserved to be buried with her arms so she could hold Conner, the baby and buried with her head as well. Just a terrible image for a mom to have to live with!!!!!
    ...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things."

Have you hugged your penguin today?

I read that this morning, and started crying....how Sharon screamed at him...he sat showing NO emotion...what an ass!

The problem I see with death penalty opponents saying that someone like Peterson, Andrea Yates, or Susan Smith needs life, so that they can think about what they've done, is that this idea assumes that these people have a conscience. If they had a conscience, they wouldn't have done what they did. Therefore, they just get college degrees handed to them behind bars, work out, and file frivolous lawsuits at our expense. In Peterson's case, at least he's sissy enough enough that some big, sweaty lifer will teach him what assume the position means, but he'll even grow to enjoy that, eventually.
    ~~Stalking SouthernImage~~

You do not let your eyes see, nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Do you not think that there are things which you cannot undersand and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot? -- Abraham Van Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by SweetestJezebel
    I agree...he is SO vile

That he is, Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Oyster
    The problem I see with death penalty opponents saying that someone like Peterson, Andrea Yates, or Susan Smith needs life, so that they can think about what they've done, is that this idea assumes that these people have a conscience. If they had a conscience, they wouldn't have done what they did. Therefore, they just get college degrees handed to them behind bars, work out, and file frivolous lawsuits at our expense. In Peterson's case, at least he's sissy enough enough that some big, sweaty lifer will teach him what assume the position means, but he'll even grow to enjoy that, eventually.

They get LIFE and the tax payer pays for it.

at least he won't be golfing with OJ in the near future
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Thread Information