Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

In India, they have the right idea!

80s Forum: In India, they have the right idea!

In India, they have the right idea!

New Delhi -- What should be the penalty for rape? The women of Nagpur, a city in central India, have devised a different method to mete out justice.

Fed up with delays in the judicial process, police inaction, fear of being victimized again by alleged rapists who procure easy bail, the women of Nagpur have decided to take the law into their own hands.

In the third such incident, women from the slums of Nagpur attacked alleged rapists who they say are walking free from court, often with the connivance of the authorities.

In November, a mob dominated by 50 women and led by a rape victim burned down the houses of three alleged rapists who had reportedly attacked residents with impunity for months. The men were lucky to get away alive.

The razing of the alleged rapists' homes follows a series of high-profile cases that began in August when Akku Yadav, a gang leader who faced 24 criminal charges including murder, was stabbed and stoned to death in a court by a mob led by women.

According to the women, he had raped young girls and pregnant women and sent his henchmen to extort money. Despite repeated arrests, Yadav always walked out of jail and continued to terrorize the neighborhood. Local citizens feared he would be released on bail again.

Police detained five women after the August attack but released them when more than 400 women blocked the courtroom and demanded they be set free.

In another case in Nagpur, two men accused of extortion and sex abuse were killed after demanding a local woman hand over cash for protection. When she refused, they tried to strip her. Before they could leave the area, both were attacked by a group of women armed with sticks and stones. One man died instantly, the other in a hospital.

There has been local support for the women. "We have all waited for police to act, but nothing happens. The molestations and rapes go on, and nobody does anything," said Madam Chandra, a women's rights activist in Nagpur.

She said police had charged 60 people involved in the latest incident, including a rape victim, with "destruction of property." A report by a former top police officer in Nagpur blamed his former colleagues for a serious failure in law enforcement.

More than 100 prominent lawyers based in Nagpur have issued a statement saying the women should not be treated as the accused, but as the victims.

They say that while it was wrong for the women to take the law into their own hands, the courts should look into the spirit of their action and the circumstances that forced these women to kill.

The incidents in Nagpur have led to a public debate on issues related to vigilantism, and "people's justice," versus upholding the law of the land and obtaining real justice.

The situation is stacked against the state, the judiciary and the police in trying to protect the rights of women in India.

India's judicial system is bursting at the seams, with more than 20 million cases waiting to be heard in various lower and higher courts. The conviction rate in rape cases is 4 percent.

It is estimated that more than 50 percent of rape cases are not being reported in India for fear of retribution, of being ostracized by a mostly traditional Indian society, and because of the insensitive attitude of the police and judiciary in investigating as well as hearing the cases.

Many women's rights advocates, including Poornima Advani, chair of the national commission for women, have come out in defense of the Nagpur women.

"A combination of judicial delays and police inaction is really at the bottom of all this," said Flavia Agnes, a lawyer writing in the daily newspaper Asian Age. "Rape cases can last for years without a verdict, and people feel that they get no justice. So they decide to take the matter into their own hands."

Delivering a lecture on "Law and violence on women" at the Institute of Women's Studies, a senior advocate of the Supreme Court, Arvind Jain, called upon female students not only to learn the art of self-defense, but never to hesitate in killing the man who tries to rape them, because in India, fighting a case against a rapist was far more difficult than fighting a case of murder in self-defense.

"When state fails to deliver justice, people take law in their hands. Nagpur is an example, where a rape victim led the crowd to kill the rapist," he said, amid claps and cheers by girls.

"The law allows a person to kill in self-defense and a woman to protect her modesty. In a decision, the Supreme Court has held that a father who killed a rapist while defending his daughter was an act in 'self-defense.' Believe me, if 10 to 20 Nagpur-like incidents happen in this country, rape cases would come down drastically," he said.

"In my view, rape is an attempt of the male community to terrorize the entire female community, telling them, 'Look it can happen with you as well if you will refuse to obey the male,' " he said.

No innocent man or woman should suffer for a crime he or she has not committed. At the same time, no man or woman who commits a crime should go unpunished -- or even move freely and commit the same crime again and again.

Re: In India, they have the right idea!

They say that while it was wrong for the women to take the law into their own hands, the courts should look into the spirit of their action and the circumstances that forced these women to kill.

While I don't belive in capital punishment or taking the law into your own hands, the justice system really does need an overhaul, it is so frustrating to see the criminals get away with everything these days!
    BON JOVI ROCK!!

---------------------
    No.1 ALIAS fan
    ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by galaga-girl
    While I don't belive in capital punishment or taking the law into your own hands, the justice system really does need an overhaul, it is so frustrating to see the criminals get away with everything these days!

I agree. It's disgusting that all those rapists have to do is pay the bail and they're free! But, on the other hand, it wasn't necessarily right to kill the guys, but I guess if you've noone else to turn to...
    MetalFan83 - Kelli

-----

I'm glad that those women are fighting back. It's time for THEM to send a message to the rapists!!!
    Leilani

If they're killed, they cannot rape again.

Stealing someone's humanity is - at least in my opinion - even worse than stealing their life.

Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange

I say good on them. The justice system sucks.

I would call those woman "Heros"....it takes courage to take a stand knowing retribution is likely. I've no compassion for the rapist...justice came for them allright. In the form of a mob of women!!!!!...

Lord Jay
    Avid Paltalker!

Stalked by Tinajo (NOT Shockson! )
    Stalking The Legendary Pamela
    Stalking BlueMolly the New Wave Queen
    Stalked by my love of loves my Wife Stephanie!

Never get between a big man and his Diet Coke!

Thread Information