Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Bryan Adams - The Biography

80s Forum: Bryan Adams - The Biography

Bryan Adams - The Biography

Bryan Adams was born November 5, 1959 in Kingston, Ontario, Canada [Hey.. that's where I live] but at a young age, relocated to Vancouver, British Columbia

It all began in with Sweeney Todd, a Canadian band who at the time had a #1 hit in Canada called Roxy Roller, which also became a minor hit in America in August of 1976 where it peaked at US #90 on the Billboard charts. Shortly after it's success, lead singer Nick Gilder decided he wanted a solo career, and left the band. A young unknown named Bryan Adams auditioned for the role and the next month, re-released Roxy Roller in America where it re-charted at US #99 on the Billboard charts.

The next year, the 2nd Sweeney Todd album If Wishes Were Horses was released with Adams now in the lead.

The album failed to sell as well as the first album, and in late 1977, Adams quit the band. The next year, Sweeney Todd called it quits.

In 1978, Adams met local musician/producer Jim Vallance who was at the time, the drummer for the band Prism. The two hit it off, and together wrote a couple of songs for Armageddon, the third Prism album.

In 1979, Adams scored a record contract with A&M records, and at the age of 19, recorded his very first single Let Me Take You Dancing which became a disco hit, and sold in massive numbers in America as a 12" single

In 1980, he recorded his self-titled debut album and backed with the singles Give Me Your Love and Hidin' From Love, the album became a minor hit on the Canadian charts.

That same year, Adams co-wrote the song Cover Girl which became a massive hit in Canada for Prism.

In 1981, Adams co-wrote the song Never Get to Heaven, which became a top 20 hit in Canada for Lisa DalBello as well as the song Don't Let Him Know, which would become the first top 40 hit for Prism in America. That same year, he released his follow-up album You Want it - You Got it and it became his breakthrough album in Canada. The singles Coming Home, Fits Ya Good and Lonely Nights all became top 40 hits in Canada. The album also peaked at #118 on the US charts and #78 on the UK charts.

In 1982, Lonely Nights became Adams' first hit in America where it peaked at #84 on the Billboard charts. This lead to his third album Cuts Like A Knife which was released in 1983. The album became his breakthrough in America where it peaked at US #8 on the Billboard album charts. The singles Cuts Like A Knife, Straight From the Heart and This Time all reached the Canadian and American top 40 and the album even charted at #21 in the UK.

In 1984, he released his 4th album Reckless. The album went to #1 in both Canada and America and hit #7 in the UK, becoming his breakthrough album overseas. The singles Heaven, which became his first American #1 hit, It's Only Love, a duet with Tina Turner, One Night Love Affair, Run to You, Somebody and Summer of '69 all reached the Canadian and American top 20 singles charts. In the UK, Run to You became his first UK hit where it peaked at UK #11 in the charts, and both Heaven and Somebody reached the UK top 40 with Summer of '69 peaking at UK #42. Reckless would go on to sell 8 million copies world-wide.

Also that year, Adams co-wrote the song Can't Wait All Night which in August of 1984 would become the final chart hit for Juice Newton. As well, he also co-wrote the songs Edge of A Dream which became a minor hit for Joe Cocker and Teacher Teacher which became a BIG hit for 38 Special. Both songs appear in the 1984 film Teachers.

In 1985, Adams released the non-album singles Diana and Christmas Time/Reggae Christmas which both became minor hits in Canada.

Adams also performed in the historical Live Aid concert, and to top it off, co-wrote the song Tears Are Not Enough, a charity aid single that featured a host of well-known Canadian singers/musicians including Adams, Loverboy, Corey Hart, Dan Hill, Rush, Platinum Blonde, Gordon Lightfoot, and a host of many others. Tears Are Not Enough by The Northern Lights hit #1 and became the biggest hit in Canada of 1985. The song was released on the legendary USA For Africa album We Are the World.

In 1987, Adams released his 5th album Into the Fire. The album was not a commercial failure, but it was not a great success either. The album entered the Canadian, American and UK top 20. The singles Hearts on Fire, Heat of the Night and Victim of Love all reached the Canadian and American top 40, but failed to make an apearance in the UK top 40.

CONTINUED BELOW ...
    Last edited by whistledog; 4-12-05 at 05:35 PM.

Re: Bryan Adams - The Biography

... CONTINUED FROM ABOVE

In 1988, Adams released his first Live album titled Live! Live! Live! (which was re-released in 1994)

That same year, he also co-wrote the song Good to Be Back which was the comeback single for Prism and in 1989 co-wrote the song When the Night Comes which became a massive hit for Joe Cocker in 1990.

By the end of 1989, the Adams/Vallance song-wriring partnership had begun to dissolve, so Adams recruited producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange. Adams began the 90's with the the 1991 song Everything I Do (I Do it For You). Featured in the blockbuster film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, the song hit #1 all over the world and became one of the biggest selling singles of 1991 and paved the way for Waking Up the Neighbours his sixth album. the singles Can't Stop This Thing We Started, There Will Never Be Another Tonght, Do I Have to Say the Words and Thought I'd Died and Gone to Heaven all reached the Canadian, American and UK top 40 and an additional single All I Want is You reached the UK and Canadian top 40. By 1992, album sales had reached 10 million world-wide, making it the biggest hit of his career.

The greatest hits album titled So Far So Good appeared in 1993 and featured a new song called Please Forgive Me which became another smash hit world-wide.

For the next few years, Adams capitolized on Soundtrack hits. His duet with Rod Stewart and Sting on the song All For Love became a #1 hit in 1994 and appeared in the Disney film The Three Musketeers. In 1995, he had another hit with the song Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman? which appeared in the film Don Juan Demarco. He also had a minor US hit that year Rock Steady, which was a duet with country singer Bonnie Raitt.

In 1996, released his 7th studio album (not including the greatest hits and Live album) 18 'Til I Die. The album was a big hit in the UK and Canada but didn't live up to expectations in America.

The singles Let's Make A Night to Remember, Star, The Only Thing That Looks Good on You is Me, 18 'Til I Die, and the Barbra Streisand duet I Finally Found Someone all became big hits in both the UK and Canada. In America, both Let's Make A Night to Remember reached the top 40 and The Only Thing That Looks Good on You is Me became a minor hit. In 1977, I Finally Found Someone reached the US top 40 and would become his last appearance in the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts.

In late 1997, Adams' released the album MTV Unplugged and was back in the Canadian and UK top 40 with the songs Back to You and I'm Ready.

The 8th studio album On A Day Like Today was released in 1998 and became a massive hit in both the UK and Canada. In America, it failed to reach the Billboard hot 100. The singles Cloud Number 9, On A Day Like Today and When Your Gome, a duet with spice girl Melanie C, all became massive its in Canada and the UK.

In 1999, a re-packaged greatest hits album titled The Best of Me was released and in 2000, he provided the soundtrack to the animated film Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron. It became a BIG hit and launched the single Here I Am into the UK and Canadian top 10

After a long absense, Adams returns with his latest album Room Service. Released in late 2004, the album has already produced two hits with Open Road and Flying, both which have already appeared in the Canadian and UK top 40.

Adams is firmly established as one of the most successful singer-songwriters in music history, having sold over 50 millions albums worldwide, and with an impressive list of nominations and awards won: 24 Juno nominations (16 won); 13 Grammy nominations (3 won); 3 Academy Awards nominations; 4 MTV Awards nominations (2 won); 5 MuchMusic Awards nominations (3 won); plus numerous other awards in his near 30 year career
    Last edited by whistledog; 4-25-05 at 07:12 PM.

Thread Information