Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Influences

80s Forum: Influences

Thread: Influences

Question Influences

The whole new wave thing swept the world in the early eighties. It had a very unique sound that relied on electronics more than acoustic instruments. It challenged the traditional rockscene and music critiques agreed, even today, that this had absolutely nothing to do with music. My point is: Does anyone think that these bands influenced artists in the nineties?? I, myself love new wave, but have a very hard time coming up with examples of bands of today, that sounds inspired or influenced by this particular kind of music. Let me know what you think!!!

-Flixfan

------------------

Unhappy

I just noticed the subtitle of this group referred to influences. I did not mean to provoke our moderator. I just can't come up with any examples that's all!!

-Flixfan

------------------

Cool

Thanks for posting, FlixFan! I don't think anyone feels provoked by your inquery! I know I love a good conversation.

I think alot of people you would not imagine were influenced by the New Wave/New Romantic movement of the early 80's. It was kind of a phenomenon, what happened. Many of the bands went on to become huge hits even in the late eighties and early ninties. (tears for fears comes to mind)

I have even heard that Orgy (yeah yeah yeah, I am an Orgy fan. No surprise there!)has mentioned Duran Duran as an early influence. (they were once described as Duran Duran on acid!) They liked New Order enough to cover Blue Monday.
    If not influenced by the music, then you have to agree that the video revolution was lead by the New Wave scene and MTV was MADE by them. It was the total package. Music, fashion, video...ect. I have seen a list on another board once that listed all the bands that have counted these bands as influences. If I find it, I will post it for you!

------------------
    AKA Rain Taylor

Talking

I agree that the whole MTV scene was invented by the genre. And I am aware that there have been countless remakes of songs from new wave bands. What I meant was that new wave is not reflected in today's songs and when you think of it, most other genres are! I am positive that bands of today are influenced by the new wave bands of the 80's, but it just doesn't shine through in their music.

Thanks for opening a new wave / new romantic forum. I hope we will have many good topics in the future.

-Flifan

Hey, since you two seem to be big fans, can you help me with a good sub-title? I actually didn't know what I should make it. I was going to ask, but just never did. I'm looking for a good, sensible subtitle for the Punk Rock area as well.. hehe Help!

------------------
    Sal Collaziano

Thumbs up

I was a New Romantic, My favourites were Depeche Mode,Heaven 17,Soft Cell,Human league,Japan,OMD,ABC etc. It was a great era I am glad to have experienced it. Who would beat New Order's Blue Monday nowadays.Thanks for bringing up the topic.

------------------

Thread Information