Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

80sxchange Hacked

80s Forum: 80sxchange Hacked
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

80sxchange Hacked

Well. What can I say? I suppose it was bound to happen at some point or another.. A malicious hacker found a vulnerability in our site and broke-in. They had a few things to say about the United States being in the Middle East helping Israel and posted their thoughts on our front page and forum front page. What had me even more surprised is how they deleted the most important pieces of our database. With a few clicks of the mouse, ALL our post, reply and user account information was gone.

When I obtained the new server a few weeks ago, there was a different process of making backups that I wasn't aware of. I wasn't aware of this and as a result, our daily backups were not being done. What you're seeing right now is the last backup that I manually made just before the new server was put into play. Yes, we've lost about 3 weeks of posts, replies and new member accounts.. For that, I apologize...

I'm not sure what makes people do the things they do. I'm not sure why the hacker couldn't simply leave those pieces of our database alone. I don't know exactly what he/she gets out of taking away our history. But what's done is done.. I'm very proud of what this place has become and it does hurt to see a piece of it taken away from me and us..

Most recently, I was very proud about how our new Lyrics forum had taken off.. Nearly 1,000 songs were in there.. I was also very happy about the ezBoard discussions being brought over from our old system. It seemed everything was coming together nicely until a few mornings ago when Jasper IMd me about us being hacked. By the way, thank you, Jasper.. Had I not been told, we would surely have lost even more - and would have experienced even more downtime.

In the future, we will likely have a much less "modified" message board. The importance of upgrading to the latest version is extremely important. The only modifications we can have are ones that are easy to install and reinstall.. Security issues are rampant amongst message boards and when you've got a site that attracts lots of attention like 80sxchange, you're bound to have the malicious hackers' attention as well...

So now it's time to rebuild... Again, I'm sorry for the downtime and I'm sorry we've lost three weeks of our home and history...

Re: 80sxchange Hacked

I am glad you were online when it happened Sal, and that I was able to get in touch. Hopefully this will make us more secure, even if it meant losing a lot of data in the process.

I'm sorry, too. It angers me when people do stupid things like that. But no worries, we're all still here & will keep posting!

Thanks for all of the hard work in getting this board back up. I, for one, sure did miss it!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

Glad to see the board up & running again. Thanks for all your hard work!

I'm so glad we're back!
    ~*uuɐloɹɐɔ~*
    Stalked by the fantabulos Prefab Sprouter
    Partners in Crime with Annette
    Proud member of the metal chick posse
    Member of the Xchange Badgirl club!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    ~ Ellen Goodman

Trekkin By Harket..

Boston Bruins

Great to see the xchange back online The pictures that the hacker(s) put on the frontpage was realy disturbing... Glad all is back to normal.

I agree! I was way freaked out! Thanks Jasper for your quick response in letting Sal know. Thank you Sal for working so diligently to get us back up and running.
    ~jen~

Totally stalked by 80s Trivia
    Wavemaster's favourite former teacher
    >>>Officially stalking djdaffy<<<
    ~~MMMMMM Chasey~~

jen* has a space

Much like 9/11....he attacked and destroyed some of what we love, but we'll rebuild and come back better than ever.

Bite me, "Ameer".

glad to be back, Thanks Sal and roem for all the hard work getting this place back up, and to Jasper for his quick response.

Out of curiousity was this hacking aimed intentionally at this site?, or did the hacker hack a whole bunch of sites ?
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Why don't people like that go and destroy a government or an activist website or something like that, instead of trying to ruin a great place that even they could enjoy. I don't get it!

thanks Sal and anyone else who helped in getting the site back. I'm sure it was hard work.
    I too can't believe someone would waste their time hacking an 80's site. Pathetic.

Thanks Guys for the hard work in sorting this out. So we've lost 3 weeks. They'll never break the spirit of this
    http://proudfootband.ie/ - PROUDFOOT Soul and Funk Band!

It's great to have my favorite site back! Two way up fpr Roem and Sal for getting this place back online, and for Jasper telling Sal about this.

And as for our good friend "Ameer", "Now now, just because we had a good laugh at those naked pics you posted of yourself in the LL doesn't give you the right to hack into our site..."

According to "google" "Ameer" has hacked many websites. What a douchbag.

Thanks to Roemy and Sal for getting this back up and running! I have to say I totally freaked out after Ameer's creepy message, having never been "hached" before.
    I can't believe people have nothing better to do than poison something great.
    And so in the powerful words of Snoop... "Ameer Can Eat Big Fat Di(k"

Thanks again for getting us back together!

Nice to be back. I"m glad I didn't get to see what was left here on the site when it was hacked. Thanks Sal & Roem for your hard work in getting things running again.

Queen of Fluff
    sister of Ther & Ty in the sisterhood
    Water Elemental of the 80s Xchange Coven

Goddess of Caffienated Beverages

I wasn't around to catch the show, but I had a strong feeling we were down because of a hack. Good job defending the realm guys

That ****ing prick... all this grief he's caused will come back to him in time. Either way, while there is a loss, it coulda been MUCH worse as was initially thought to be the case. I'll take a 3 week loss over a 4 month loss any day.

Great to be back anyway! Now to get back into the daily flow of things

RE: Lost information

There is a way to see some recent posts that are now lost. Copy & paste the forum title into Google. Pick " Google's Cache"

For example...

Copy & paste this link into Google

http://www.80sxchange.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Pick "Google's cache"

this is the result....

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...Ff%3D32+&hl=en

Dan

Yep KARMA, Baby. It can be your best friend or a real big bitch.

WOW 4 months, huh? YIKES!! Glad it was caught when it was!

Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information