Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
File Uploads Locked

80s Forum: File Uploads Locked
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

File Uploads Locked

Due to several security issues and program vulnerabilities, ALL uploads (including avatars, attachments, photos in the image and classified section, etcetera) are off-limits. This should not last more than a day or so. If you have an avatar or image that you want to display, please LINK TO it for the time being.

I'm not sure about other websites, but we're being constantly targeted for hack attempts. As ridiculous as it sounds, we may just need to completely close uploads altogether. In that event, instead of uploading things like avatars to THIS server, you'd upload them somewhere else on the internet and simply LINK TO them. It's not really a big deal but I understand it's very convenient to simply upload them to 80sxchange.com...

We're experiencing quite a bit of SLOW load time due to hacking issues. It's been very difficult, time-consuming and costly for me to keep fighting these problems. There are many other things that I need to keep up on and if these issues can be resolved by simply NOT allowing uploads, then that may be my only choice...

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Re: File Uploads Locked

No need to apologize Sal. You guys do a great job keeping us entertained! Let us know what you need us to do & we'll Git-R-Duuun!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

Yeah! What Kimmie Said!!

Sal, Linking an Avatar would probably be the safest bet! Whatever it takes to make this site more secure, we're behind you 110%!

I hate it that you have to go to such lengths to protect the Xchange. Of course, the more you do to protect us, the more they're going to do to try and get their message across, no matter how disturbing it is. I'm certainly not going to complain about the measures you must take to keep this site secure.
    ~jen~

Totally stalked by 80s Trivia
    Wavemaster's favourite former teacher
    >>>Officially stalking djdaffy<<<
    ~~MMMMMM Chasey~~

jen* has a space

Thank you for your support, everyone. Unfortunately, more severe precautions need to be taken. Avatars and attachments will be disabled in a few minutes. Any process which allows people to upload files will be disabled. People are uploading malicious scripts through holes in these systems. We're constantly under attack by two groups of people. One who apparently doesn't want us up and running anymore - and another from Egypt who keeps trying to deface our site with Anti-American propoganda. The Egypt group is, as well as the other, attempting to delete pieces of the database...

I truely believe that, in time, other forum administrators will follow suit as it becomes more and more difficult to maintain a secure system. While it's very nice that exploits and vulnerabilities are pointed out as quickly as possible, sometimes they're not pointed out fast enough. Entire email lists can be compromised. Databases can be deleted leaving only the latest backup for retrieval. This is unacceptable and if simply removing avatars and attachments can make a world of a difference, I feel it's important to follow through.

There will be an alternative method to uploading images (for linking to in messages later) on today.

Do what has to be done, Sal As long as the Xchange is up and running, I can certainly live with no attachments or avatars!

Thanks Sal

Sal do what you gotta do, man. The safety of the site is far more important than fancy avatars or images. I'm behind you and Roem 100%!
    http://proudfootband.ie/ - PROUDFOOT Soul and Funk Band!

This is what happened when I noticed that my avatar was gone! -->

Do what you have to do Sal to keep the server safe.
    I am back to the future! 80'style! Officialy a Child of the 80's...

I don't understand half of this stuff, but why would terrorists attack message boards??? Isn't that a waste of time? Glad to know you are doing what you can to secure the place.

They attack busy message boards because they know there's a large audience. It's almost like hacking a television network. They can broadcast their message to millions of people. Same here. Millions of people come here every month...

Quote Originally Posted by frothy latte
    I don't understand half of this stuff, but why would terrorists attack message boards??? Isn't that a waste of time?
    It's just another pathetic attempt for them to get their message across. Unfortunately for them, the more they do, the less I could care. And to answer your other question, yes it is completely pointless. It's just that they aren't bright enough to figure that out.

Sal, do what ya gotta do, man! I can do without my av if that means the X is alive and kickin'!

Avatars and attachments might be working again this afternoon. A security audit is being done and people are working on the issues.. If anyone can think of any revenue-making ideas to keep this place alive, please humor me with them...

Sal... a lot of us donate. And we are HAPPY to. But the subject hasn't been brought up in a long time. Maybe we could start a thread about that?

I have no idea how to make money off the internet...

Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help keep things going.

As for revenue making ideas....I have no clue

Quick update.. Attachments are back.. Avatars should be back at some point soon. I can't be sure when, though... I'm working on it...

Revenue making idea's- Have another drive to pick up donating members ( I actually think mine has run out, let me know so I can pay again)

Try selling part of the Xchange, almost like share's. kepp at least a controlling interest for yourself, but sell perhaps 35% in 1 percent increments (whatever 1% is worth) or look for minor partners, not ones who are equal to you but have a vested interest in the Xchange
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Shakey is offline Content to be in the Matrix!

Do what it takes to secure the server, Sal. It isn't the pictures that are important, it is the words and the message.
    - Shakey

"If I'm here and you're here, then doesn't that make it our time? - Jeff Spicoli, 1982

Any new updates on the avatar situation.......just curious.

See?! I can look something up before I ask a stupid question! Think of all the bandwidth I would have wasted with my useless "Where are all the avatars?!" thread!

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?
    I don't know. I lost my psychic abilities when they stole my superhero powers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information