Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Do You Believe In Ghosts - Page 2

80s Forum: Do You Believe In Ghosts

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In Ghosts

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 70.00%
  • No

8 26.67%
  • Not Sure

1 3.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Do You Believe In Ghosts

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan
    Man, I can understand (almost) what you're trying to say, but comparing a living being with an inanimate object is a tad ridiculous.
    That's not exactly the point I was trying to make. I was only saying that a calculator will give you an answer after you give it a mathematical question, thanks to its circuits. I see the brain working the same way, thanks to its "circuits" - The brain makes us react depending on what we see/feel/smell/touch/ear. Of course, it's impossible to compare the intelligence of a human with the "intelligence" of a calculator, but I don't believe because we are self-aware that we have something more than our organic matter.

A person's life force or energy doesn't just dissapate when they die. For a LONG time after he died, I felt my Dad's presence in his workshop at my Mom's house. It was a sad day when I went there and couldn't feel it anymore, but I realized he had moved on.
    I never had someone close to me die yet. Perhaps I'll understand when it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyverbe
    That's not exactly the point I was trying to make. I was only saying that a calculator will give you an answer after you give it a mathematical question, thanks to its circuits. I see the brain working the same way, thanks to its "circuits" - The brain makes us react depending on what we see/feel/smell/touch/ear. Of course, it's impossible to compare the intelligence of a human with the "intelligence" of a calculator, but I don't believe because we are self-aware that we have something more than our organic matter.
    But you're leaving something very important out. Yes, the calculator will give you the same mathematical answer that a human will....but ask the calculator, "how do you feel?" This is where the soul comes through. The next time you watch a sad movie and a tear comes to your eye, see if the calculator is crying. The next time you remember something from your past and it either elates you or depresses you, see if the calculator knows what happened in it's past. These things are proof positive that we're not just "circuits".

Methinks you watched "I. Robot" too much.

I never had someone close to me die yet. Perhaps I'll understand when it will happen.
    More than likely you won't. You seem to have it in your head that there's no grand scheme to things, but then again maybe something as devastating as the loss of a loved one might change your mind.

I wish I could say I hope you never find out, but unfortunately it happens to us all.

Pagan words it perfectly. Spirits are very much around us. I've hads many experiences with them and my mom has too.

Queen of Fluff
    sister of Ther & Ty in the sisterhood
    Water Elemental of the 80s Xchange Coven

Goddess of Caffienated Beverages

I believe in ghosts.

Do you believe this one too?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/ghostgirl.html

Yep, it is apparently very real!

Do you believe this one too?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/ghostgirl.html

Yep, it is apparently very real!
    That clip isn't remotely convincing to anyone with an ounce of grey matter

If only all paranormal footage was hoaxed by such clowns, we'd all be a nation of complete sceptics, and the debate would cease to exist.
    Stalker of TC and Jen
    Milani's partner in Crime
    Official supplier of Officially Crap UK music to DJDaffy
    Stalker of BrandyBlue

Quote Originally Posted by 80's fanatic
    Some people do, some people don't. What about you?
    I don't believe in ghosts; therefore, I voted no.
    I'm on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jeffsteele
    BUT...I'm NO LONGER on Twitter!

35 years of
    THE TRANSFORMERS
    1984-2019

spudsoup is offline My karma ran over your dogma

All i know is that the noises that were creeping me and my husband out completely dissapated when i "claimed" the house from top to bottom in a very loud voice. I don't care if there's ghosts as long as they're QUIET!

I said I'd share my ghost stories when I was in the spirit. Now after a little "Scariest Places on Earth" and a few Fun Size treats, I 'll talk...

Oujia Boards... In Jr. High, my friend's and I decided we'd freak ourselves out.
    I asked the spirits what happened to me when I was 4. The board spelled out "S-L-I-D-E" I fell from the top of a slide one afternoon, through the large opening. I was fine but I couldn't go see E.T. as was planned. No, I was not moving it.
    My friend asked the spirit about a boy she liked who was now dating someone else. The board spelled out a name and we asked it for her phone #. It gave us seven digits and when we called a man said "Sorry, she isn't in right now." This girl went to a different school and none of us new her.
    Ghosts... My sister and a friend had this apartment. What had sold them on it was a cool metal spiral staircase that ran through all 3 floors. I happened to be grounded due to a busted party and couldn;t be there for the housewarming festivities but I kept hearing stories about "the ghost." When I finally got parolled, I went over and waited to see what was going on. After a few hours of nothing, and a few beers, I said "This is bullsh*t, I wanna see this ghost!" All of a sudden, the front door, which was locked, opened by itself. There was no breeze. I just stood there stunned and was like "OK, there's the ghost."
    The thing about that spiral staircase, was that every footstep would echo through the entire structure, it was impossible to walk up that staircase without making a sound. One night I spent the night on the couch, downstairs, alone, and all night long I heard footsteps walking up and down the stairs, but everyone else was asleep.
    This is hearsay but in my opinion true. One night my sister and her roomate had finished cleaning up after a party. They went to bed but were woken up a few hours later to a strange alarm. They went downstairs to find the alarm was from the stove and neither of them even knew it was there... and every single cupboard door was wide open including ones that had been stuck and unused.
    Whether or not you believe in ghosts, these stories are true.

I do believe, mainly because of my studies to become a parapsychologist (as some of you know). I've had FAR more negative experiences than I've had good noteworthy (i.e., scary) experiences. Personally I've noticed over the years that the non believers that ARE non believers follow the path they do because of either a fear of the unknown or the repercussions the existence of an unrestful afterlife have on their religious (or spiritual) beliefs, from those raised as Wiccans to Jehovah's Witnesses (like myself ). Not pointing the finger at anyone here, it's just an observation I wanted to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhaven
    I've noticed over the years that the non believers that ARE non believers follow the path they do because of either a fear of the unknown or the repercussions the existence of an unrestful afterlife have on their religious (or spiritual) beliefs
    In my case, I'm just too logical. I'm like Scully on X-Files; if I don't see it, I don't believe it. Nothing to do with fear or "afterlife".

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

I do believe. I didn't for a long time until I worked overnights at a radio station across the street from a graveyard. I swear I saw people walking the halls everynight. I even remember being on the old chatroom here at the xchange one time while I was working there and being totally spooked out, thinking I saw someone watching. That radio station is now a funeral home...eerie if you ask me.

I should clear up, being a somewhat religious person, I have always believed in an afterlife, just not ghosts walking around us...

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

In my case, I'm just too logical. I'm like Scully on X-Files; if I don't see it, I don't believe it. Nothing to do with fear or "afterlife".

Not saying that was the case with everyone, just the people I've interviewed: when probed for a root to their beliefs, those two instances were the only reasons presented. Like the rest of the post said, I wasn't pointing fingers. And the problem I have with the 'seeing is believing' standpoint is the fact that myself (and about a few billion others) have never seen a sperm whale with the naked eye, or for that matter the Pyramids of Giza, Gary Coleman, the surface of the moon or a black hole. Pictures and recordings of ALL these things, including those of the living impaired and other spookies, exist everywhere, as well as the testimony of others that insist they exist and can be interacted with in one way or another. Disbelieving a thing because you've never seen it renders your known world to about 1/10000th of what is purported to be out there and experienced. A cut-and-dry way of looking at it, then again it's a very cut-and-dry statement.

As for me, I don't believe in ghosts at all. Now spirits, that's another story. Had many experiences with spirits. And there's nothing supernatural or paranormal about it. A person's life force or energy doesn't just dissapate when they die. For a LONG time after he died, I felt my Dad's presence in his workshop at my Mom's house. It was a sad day when I went there and couldn't feel it anymore, but I realized he had moved on.

But the whole Hollywood "sheet over the head" malevolent ghost? Nuh uh.
    I agree wholeheartedly with Pagan on that one. Hit it dead on Bro (No pun intended).

I've had what I would call a "Supernatural" experience myself. Chalk it up to an emotional reaction or whatever, but I firmly beleive it to be "super-natural" in nature!

My best friend who literally saved my life (The wiccan I mentioned some months back), was killed in a drive by shooting (He wasn't the intended target.) at about 1 AM, I woke up, looked off in the corner of my bedroom and there I saw a familiar silhouette. It was my friend. I also heard his voice urging me to give up the alcohol, that it was going to kill me. He also told me that he is at peace and fine. I was awakened again at about 1:30 AM by his neighbor who called me and informed me what had transpired. I knew the household would be in total chaos! So I got up, got dressed and went to the house. I never got drunk from that day on! On the day before his funeral (He was cremated), I stayed right there all day in the viewing room. Waiting for him to wake up (I still couldn't believe this great person was gone). His widow thought I was a devoutional friend, maybe so, I also think a lot of it was denial. Sometimes i sit and find myself wondering how things would be if that fateful night had never happened! But after the events of that night, I have a firm beleif in the spiritual world!

I lived in a 'haunted house', which is why I believe in ghosts. When I was young my family and I lived in a 10 room house that we were renting from a local realtor. He told us not to use 3 rooms upstairs because they were still badly damaged from a chimney fire some years before. Every night when my dad went to bed, he was awakened by a ghost, an elderly man, who was trying to get my dad to follow him. We always assumed it was upstairs. My dad talked to the realtor and asked him if any other tenants had the same experience and the realtor told him yes. I saw this ghost myself, only once. He came to my doorway of my room one night and looked in at me and my sister. He didn't come near us, he just looked and went away. It scared me, but I knew he wasn't going to hurt me.
    A few years ago, I went to the local library and looked through thousands of newspaper articles to try to find the story about the fire. I found out that the fire had happened in the chimney in the back of the house in 1948. A 75 yr. old man lived in the house and had gone upstairs to try to put the fire out. He was killed when a burning beam fell on him. The house was sold shortly after his death and the new owner started to repair the 3 rooms damaged but never finished the job. He sold the house soon after that.
    Now I know there are many skeptics out there, and I never really knew if I believed in them or not, until I had my experience, and again when I followed up what the realtor told us. I had my doubts too until I read that article. I believe that the elderly man will continue to 'haunt' that house until he can 'show' someone how the fire started, enabling him to finally rest in peace. This is just my opinion and I'm not saying that whether or not you do believe or whether or not you don't, it's wrong or not. It's entirely up to you. But in my case, it's a little more than a coincidence that the two stories we heard would be true.

I stay with the yes option, but I actually haven't seen anyone. I think that this must be a very terrifying moment.

Ja, I do - otherwise we wouldn't need the Ghostbusters!

But it depends on what God allows you to see and experience.

Off the record as a kid I always thought the New Romantics looked like ghosts.

Cheers!

www.eightiesmusicfan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    As for me, I don't believe in ghosts at all. Now spirits, that's another story. Had many experiences with spirits. And there's nothing supernatural or paranormal about it. A person's life force or energy doesn't just dissapate when they die. For a LONG time after he died, I felt my Dad's presence in his workshop at my Mom's house. It was a sad day when I went there and couldn't feel it anymore, but I realized he had moved on.

My mom passed in march 2010. Whenever Chooch & I go to visit my dad. I can go anywhere in the house and see stuff that belonged to my mom, or that she enjoyed. I can feel her presence then. So I totally agree with you bro.

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

I definitely believe in spirits, or presences. I am not sure about "Ghosts" as we see them in movies and things like that.
    Always an 80's girl! // I Sold My Soul To Rock 'N Roll // Don't Let Real Rock Die
    Stalkee of Ted Nugent!
    Stalker of the charming and sweet Guancho!
    Adopted by Pagan!
    Dad - I love you now & always. 1945 - 2002...RIP
    If wantin' the good life is such a crime...Lord, then put me away!
    - Poison, "Nothing But A Good Time"
    My teachers didn't like me
    They always tried to put me down
    'Cause I wore my hair too long
    I played my music way too loud
    - Bon Jovi, "Blame It On The Love Of Rock 'N Roll"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information