Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The A$$hole of the teen movies in the 80's

80s Forum: The A$$hole of the teen movies in the 80's

The A$$hole of the teen movies in the 80's

William Zabka
    Frankly, there aren't many 80's movie villains more ubiquitous than William "Billy" Zabka. He appeared in a number of the seminal movies of the era, always making an appearance as Rich, Annoying, Kid Villain. In 1986, he appeared in Back to School as Rich, Annoying, Kid Villain Chas, who gets off on making Rodney Dangerfield's kid miserable, whether through keeping him off the school diving team, by throwing a diving match to make Kid look bad, blaming his inability to dive on a "really bad cramp," or by dating the girl Kid's in love with, played by Star Trek Deep Space Nine's Terry Farrell. (You know, the one with the symbiant in her chest cavity. In Star Trek. Not Back to School.) Anyway, that same year, in Just One of the Guys (and dear Lord, if there's a more inane movie than this one, I can't name it), The Zabka plays Greg Tolan a, you guessed it, Rich, Annoying, Kid Villain, this time one who enjoys beating on the innocent. (Check the first fan site for a discussion of homoerotic overtones in Just One of the Guys.)
    Perhaps however, the leap of cinematic genius that propelled The Zabka to the heights of Movie Villainy was his appearance as Johnny Lawrence, leader of the evil Cobra Kai karate students, in The Karate Kid. Now, it helps a lot that The Zabka got to beat on Ralph Macchio, one of the more annoying leading men of all time. And yes, I am using the word "men" in the loosest possible sense. It also helps that his Halloween costume in the film was that of a skeleton. But it was immortal lines like "I'll decide when he's had enough, man," when some of his compadres attempted to stop Ralph's beating, that really made him a Villain for the Ages.
    The Zabka was, alas, like most movie villains, defeated when it came right down to it, in this case during the finals of the All-Valley Karate Tournament, much to the chagrin of his evil sensei, and even though he had a much snazzier outfit than the insipid Daniel-San. And getting his ass kicked by an eighty-year-old Mr. Miyagi who was fighting six-on-one odds doesn't help his case much. However, The Zabka is a True Hot Bad Guy. Er, Hot Bad Teen. Er, Whatever. And where has The Zabka been lately? Well, he continues to act in a series of movies that, honestly, I've never heard of before. The Hot Bad Goddesses would like to plead for Hollywood to take another look at this Once Great Movie Villain.
    If you'd like to read another view of The Zabka, please check out this article by ESPN Page 2's Bill Simmons.
    Last edited by stlkev70; 10-31-05 at 01:08 AM.

Re: The A$$hole of the teen movies in the 80's

Oh so remember this guy! He always played the biggest jerk in any movie he was in, but I guess that sort of pigeon-holed him and why his career probably stalled. I hated his character in Back to School and Karate Kid...
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Yeah, me too! A real 80's legend...good to see he's alive and well.

Thanks for the info Kev
    Stalker of TC and Jen
    Milani's partner in Crime
    Official supplier of Officially Crap UK music to DJDaffy
    Stalker of BrandyBlue

Thanks for the info - funny to read a little about those you loved to hate back then

I hated that guy, especially in Karate Kid. You just wanted to slap that smile off his face.
    the blonde guy in Pretty and Pink usually played a jerk, too. His names on the tip of my tounge, but I can't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilji
    I hated that guy, especially in Karate Kid. You just wanted to slap that smile off his face.
    the blonde guy in Pretty and Pink usually played a jerk, too. His names on the tip of my tounge, but I can't remember it.
    James Spader

Wasn't William Zabka also the son on the 80's series, "The Equalizer"?

They just showed William as "the jerk of alot of '80s movies", on a new VH-1 show called: "100 greatest child stars of the '80s". Great show so far. Who's ever rating them, sucks.

wow is that guy still around? anyone recent movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Rigormortis
    James Spader
    Wasn't William Zabka also the son on the 80's series, "The Equalizer"?
    Yes, he did star on The Equalizer as well. I also saw Billy on the VH-1 special about child stars, and he is now directing small, independent movies.
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Spader played pretty hateful characters in Pretty in Pink, Less than Zero, New Kids but he was cool and likable at the same time.

waht are you talking about, James Spader was the MAN in those movies

BUT, a sign of how good an actor is is if he's playing a bad guy role, you wanna rip his face off! And Zabka was just such a guy!

waht are you talking about, James Spader was the MAN in those movies

Oh I completely agree, Spader along with Johnny Depp are my favorite actors.

Quote Originally Posted by stlkev70

William Zabka
    Frankly, there aren't many 80's movie villains more ubiquitous than William "Billy" Zabka.
    This guy is alot like STEVEN SEGAL!! (He always plays a cop or some authority figure in his movies)

Quite interesting kevin!

Quote Originally Posted by Vilji View Post
    The guy in Pretty in Pink was actually the person I thought this was going to be about! I'd actually forgotten about this guy until I googled his picture and felt all those 80s hatred feelings coming right back again. Too bad he didn't get his butt kicked even more in Karate Kid...

Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange

Chalk another one up as hating that guy!

Thread Information