Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What's everyone reading part 5 - Page 2

80s Forum: What's everyone reading part 5
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: What's everyone reading part 5

After finishing The Expected One, I’m now digging into a fascinating debut novel by Kentucky native Kim Edwards, The Memory Keeper’s Daughter. The novel explores the life of Norah Henry, who gave birth to boy/girl twins, one healthy, one with Down’s Syndrome, during a raging snowstorm in Kentucky in 1964. Unbeknownst to Norah, her surgeon husband dispatches their handicapped daughter to an orphanage and tells her that their daughter was stillborn. Needless to say, secrets and lies can never remain dormant forever, and further tragedies befall the family… okay, I won’t reveal anymore, but you can check out the book, already a major bestseller here in the United States and set to become a motion picture, over at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/lis...546011&s=books
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Quote Originally Posted by jillybean View Post
    Just finished "The Hot Zone", true story on the Ebola virus breakout in Reston, WV. Very good read!
    About half way through "Communion" by Whitley Streiber and am not enjoying it. It's a true story on alien abduction and I'm just not that into it. I think I will return it to the library and get something else instead.

Sorry, “a true story?” I saw that and just couldn’t leave it be. I know I’ll be getting some nasty rebuttals for this one but, the closest star to us is Alpha Centauri. It’s just over 4 light years away which means that if the little green men have been here, the closet they could be to us is 4 light years away meaning that even if they could travel at the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) it would still take them over 4 years to get here. Personally, I don’t think we’re that interesting to justify a trip of that length.

I'm reading Weep No More, My Lady by Mary Higgins Clark. I read it years ago, but I found it among my book collection and picked it up and started to read it again... I forgot what a intriguing and compelling story she can tell!

I recently went to a local used book store and bout 6 books for $15!!!

I just stared The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory

At night I like to read a smutty romance book. Right now I am half way through . Man of My Dreams by Johanna Lindsey. Not one of her best books. IMO.

My favorite is Brenda Joyce. I can't wait for another book to come out in the Deadly (romance mystery books)series.

I got a few more books I want to buy on half.com I love that site! You can save lots of $. I have seen new books go for as little as .97 cents!!

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

I'm about to start reading Next by Michael Crichton, which I received as a gift yesterday!

I'm reading Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult which is really interesting so far!
    Always an 80's girl! // I Sold My Soul To Rock 'N Roll // Don't Let Real Rock Die
    Stalkee of Ted Nugent!
    Stalker of the charming and sweet Guancho!
    Adopted by Pagan!
    Dad - I love you now & always. 1945 - 2002...RIP
    If wantin' the good life is such a crime...Lord, then put me away!
    - Poison, "Nothing But A Good Time"
    My teachers didn't like me
    They always tried to put me down
    'Cause I wore my hair too long
    I played my music way too loud
    - Bon Jovi, "Blame It On The Love Of Rock 'N Roll"

The "In the Garden" trilogy by Nora Roberts, just finished Blue Dahlia, now on Black Rose.
    She's an excellent author for light reading and escaping the stress and pressures of the "real world". Not quite the "bodice rippers" that I usually dig, but nice light romance.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

Just finished reading Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
    Incredible story written in the 1950's, set in the future 1984
    I'm not much of a reader, but it absolutely blew my mind. I found it chilling and very distrubing in some parts, but I got through it.

The nice lady at the library is going to be mad though - I accidenly I left it at my parent's beachouse on the weekend and it's due back to the library tomorrow! boy am I in trouble

The Story of O by Pauline Reage. Hey, it's a classic!

Quote Originally Posted by KimJoy69 View Post
    The "In the Garden" trilogy by Nora Roberts, just finished Blue Dahlia, now on Black Rose.
    She's an excellent author for light reading and escaping the stress and pressures of the "real world". Not quite the "bodice rippers" that I usually dig, but nice light romance.
    Kimmy, have you read the Three Sisters Island Trilogy? (I know you haven't been on in awhile but when you are feeling up to it, feel free to LMK if you have read it) I have never read any Nora Roberts before but a lady at Curves highly recommended this trilogy and OMG it was so good!!!!

Anyway, I just picked up Alice in Wonderland (no, not the cartoon, the actual book. lol) so will start that tonight. I just finished Bird Man by Mo Hayder.
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMan View Post
    Just finished reading Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
    Incredible story written in the 1950's, set in the future 1984
    I'm not much of a reader, but it absolutely blew my mind. I found it chilling and very distrubing in some parts, but I got through it.
    The nice lady at the library is going to be mad though - I accidenly I left it at my parent's beachouse on the weekend and it's due back to the library tomorrow! boy am I in trouble
    Retty,
    Had you never read this before? It's standard reading for high school students here in the U.S. It's a classic, and usually they have to write a paper on it.

If you liked it, you should read Animal Farm, also by George Owell. I wrote a comparison/contrast paper on both books when I was in college.
    ~jen~

Totally stalked by 80s Trivia
    Wavemaster's favourite former teacher
    >>>Officially stalking djdaffy<<<
    ~~MMMMMM Chasey~~

jen* has a space

I just finished:

Innocent Traitor -- Alison Weir -- about Lady Jane Grey, one of the Tudor Queens of England who had a date with the chopping block! Alison Weir is a historian so her book was more factual than the Phillippa Gregory books. (haven't held that against them; great reads) I've been on an Elizabethan kick lately! I noticed that Alison Weir's next book, The Lady Elizabeth, was on the shelf at BJ's in hardcover; I almost bought it but I think I will wait and borrow it from my mom

Near A Thousand Tables -- Felipe Fernández-Armesto -- food history, pretty entertaining & well written, but the chapter on cannibalism is not recommended for dinnertime and/or bedtime!
    Mary
    Jelly shoe-wearin', Jolt-drinking, cartoon mama

Quote Originally Posted by jen* View Post
    It's standard reading for high school students here in the U.S. It's a classic, and usually they have to write a paper on it.
    If you liked it, you should read Animal Farm, also by George Owell. I wrote a comparison/contrast paper on both books when I was in college.
    love this book...(1984). when i first read it in high school some 20yrs ago thought it was awesome. the movie is great also.
    Animal Farm--not only do i own the book but I also own the animated movie they showed us in high school after reading the book.

I need to find something new. I just finished The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and enjoyed it, not as much as the first one though.

Re-reading (for the 4700th time) the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. I was recommending the books to someone on another forum and decided to read along with her. These have been my favorite fantasy series since the 80s and I'm impressed I still like something I first read in the 5th grade. One of the classics, uneven at times but if you like fantasy and "softer" sci-fi, worth a go. I'd skip the books written by her son Todd, however, they are not up to par. (I've read better Pern fanfic than that!)
    Mary

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is my latest fav. Peter Jackson is shooting the film version, which seems kinda odd for him given the subject matter. If you’ve read the book, you’d know what I mean. It’s a story about a 14 year old girl named Susie Salmon… yes, like the fish. She addresses herself that way in the opening paragraph. After she is murdered she watches, from heaven, the earthly goings on of her family and friends. I’m not giving anything away here; you learn this in reading the jacket cover.

Here’s the IMDB site page. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0380510/

It stars Mark Walhberg and Rachel Weisz whom I both like so I’m hoping it will be good.
    "Kiss me, I’m Canadian."
    Officially Stalking TX Sweet!
    Here kitty kitty, want some milk?
    Computer guru to 80’s Queen.
    Top Cat's Dream Man
    Chained Jenny C.to the bedpost.
    Victim of Dio’s secret “Zombie Project”

You can have it if you want it... but you gotta beg me for it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Frost View Post
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold......
    Now that sounds like a good book!! I'm gonna check it out on half.com.

Just checked..can get a copy for 75 cents!

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating the Origins of Human Knowledge And Its Transmission Through Myth by Giorgio De Santillana and Hertha Von Dechend . A very fascinating study on how legends and myths passed down for millenia may actually be a way for past generations to warn people who would live after them of impending danger!

I'm rereading "Growing Up Brady" by Barry Williams. I read this years and years ago and decided to reread it. I forgot how interesting it was.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Cyber Sis of Diofan and Chooch
    NOT So Secretly Stalking 80sTrivia
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic
    THAT MODERN ROCK SHOW W/GHOSTY

Lovers and Players by Jackie Collins. I wanted to read something that didn't require a great deal of thought!!!

Reading two things:

Harry Potter series, again..... actually leading a book club for this one (yes, I know I'm a geek -- *grin*)

New Moon -- Stephenie Meyer -- YA vampire romances. I saw the Twilight series in Target with big old "20% off" stickers and thought I'd give it a whirl. Kind of like a very romantic Buffy, lite. Great beach reading, and you'll love the irony of being out in the sun reading it, too.
    Mary

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information