Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Quitting a job

80s Forum: Quitting a job

Thread: Quitting a job

Quitting a job

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have another job...well not quite I was hired, but I have to go through a waiting period for my fingerprints to come back. Not that this would be a problem for me because I have never been in trouble with the law. It's just a formality since I will be in close proximity with children. My current job is really pissing me off and I can't wait to hear from my future employer so my question is would it be better for me to give a two week notice or just tell my current employer to bite me and walk? I have some vacation time that I would like to use and was hoping I could talk them into letting me use this as my two weeks notice. I want to do the right thing, but in the same breath I want to screw them like they have me. Any help would be appreciated.

Miss you Grandma Ruth
    R.I.P. Scott a.k.a. "Bear" ~ 1962-2006 Miss ya buddy
    Please don't drive drunk.... The life you lose may not be yours!
    One Nation Under GOD indivisible with liberty and justice for all
    ".....Solitaire, Alone I stand, It's all so clear, impressions you falsely take command.
    I'm not like you, there's more than meets the eye in me.......I'm an outcast....." Lizzy Borden - Outcast
    "Now you might take offense to the words like f.uck or shit, but you f.uckin' don't have the right to discriminate me for saying it'' - Anthrax - Starting up a posse
    Official stalker of Jazzmyn ......Come and get some Not Man Lovin'

Re: Quitting a job

The two weeks of vacation is yours to use, and if there is a chance that you will lose them if you don't use them, use 'em. If they aren't going to pay you for them otherwise, it would be like throwing them away if you didn't take them.

I understand completely that "Take this job and shove it" feeling ,for sure. But, if there is ever a time that you need them for a reference, or if you should ever want to go back there under better circumstances, you want to leave on good terms.

I know that is easy for me to say because I am sitting here, not frustrated with your job like you are, but I get the feeling about you that you are a good worker and that you want to do the right thing. The right thing to do is to give the notice if you can. Sometimes, just knowing that you are short-timing it and you are able to help train the next poor shlub helps

If you can use the vaca for the two weeks notice, that would be cool. You then leave on good terms and you feel better about the whole thing. If you can't, and they won't pay you for the vaca, that might change things a bit.

Do the best you can to leave with a good reference, and good luck to you
    ~~X~~~~X~~
    Nunc scio quid sit amor

~~Resident Urban Cougar-Boo~~
    Joe Elliot, Charlie Hunnam, Wentworth Miller, Kip Winger,Travis Fimmel, Tim McGraw Jon Bon Jovi and Billy Wirth walk into a bar...
    did I forget anyone, girls?

SIT DOWN, BUCKLE IN, HANG ON, SHUT UP
    I will find my inner child and kick his little ass
    Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    |PLAY >|STOP| <<RWD|FFWD>>|RCD|II|STFU!!!|
    You are starting to make sense. Time to up my medications!
    Spay or neuter your animals if you truly love them

We have enough youth--what we need is a fountain of SMART!
    AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE RESOURCE OF UNTAPPED ANGER, now in fashionable PINK
    DO NOT LEAVE ME UNSUPERVISED. If you do, DO NOT LEAVE WITNESSES
    Even BAD kitties get NINE LIVES
    MOMMMMMM...Retro's throwing wombats at me again...
    It's okay dear, they're COMBAT wombats!
    stand there, say nothing...thaaaatttt'ssss better
    80sxchange bad girls club
    trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup
    I can count to potato! I has a SNEAKY...
    Raging bitchkitty
    scared of my own shadow but not afraid of you
    ab astra

I am guessing if you ask to use your vacation as a two week notice, they might find a reason to fire you instead. Not saying that they would but it is very easy for any employer to make up some reason to fire anyone.

Maybe you can just take the vacation time like nothing is going to change. You can work the new job and still get your paid vacation at the other. Then tell them to take this job and shove it. I figure if they screwed you over big time then you don't owe them anything. You must take of yourself first. Do what is best for YOU.

Of course Brandys advice is good too! You know best how your employers will react.

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

I agree with Brandy. See if you can go ahead and get the vacation time, then at the end of the 2 weeks (AND you get your paycheck), tell them you won't be returning.

Karma plays a big part in my life and I try to do things that won't put me into a situation that I might regret or that might jinx the hell out of myself. I'm not always successful, but at least I try.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

My advice,

As tempting as it is done, tell off the company your working for, for the few minutes of satisfaction, by burning your bridges you never know what will happen in the future. I still get calls from employers asking about former employee's who left over 10 years ago for. Alot of companies will go back 3 jobs seeing what type of worker your were. It's just not worth it, especially in a smaller town where you never know who knows who.

Vacation, if your entitled to a two week vacation, you will get it or get paid for it, if your entitled to it. some companies give you your vacation time up front and you earn your time ie 1 day a month throughout the year, but if you take all your vacation early and leave or get fired you owe part of your vacation back. However even if you don't take your vacation and your entitled to it, they will pay you for the two weeks

I don't know how your company works, but if someone in my company gives a two week notice, and they say they are going to work for the competion, then we pay them the two weeks and send them home
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula

My advice,

As tempting as it is done, tell off the company your working for, for the few minutes of satisfaction, by burning your bridges you never know what will happen in the future. I still get calls from employers asking about former employee's who left over 10 years ago for. Alot of companies will go back 3 jobs seeing what type of worker your were. It's just not worth it, especially in a smaller town where you never know who knows who.

Vacation, if your entitled to a two week vacation, you will get it or get paid for it, if your entitled to it. some companies give you your vacation time up front and you earn your time ie 1 day a month throughout the year, but if you take all your vacation early and leave or get fired you owe part of your vacation back. However even if you don't take your vacation and your entitled to it, they will pay you for the two weeks

I don't know how your company works, but if someone in my company gives a two week notice, and they say they are going to work for the competion, then we pay them the two weeks and send them home
    Excellent advice Cal! For my part, I deal with small town businesses and they pretty much do as they want with regards to an employee. Most figure you won't go to a lwayer 'cause you can't afford to or you know it won't matter since they have too much control.

Not Man, don't forget to let us know what happens.

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

Thread Information