Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Cat problems..ranting and need advice.

80s Forum: Cat problems..ranting and need advice.

Cat problems..ranting and need advice.

ON

I am close to putting my one cat down. Lupe is my Main Coon. She is about 13 years old. Lately she has been pissing all over the upstairs. First it was on the carpet under my computer desk. I had to move my computer desk and luckily for me the carpet where she went was spliced together. I was able to pull up that piece of carpet and take it outside and clean it good. I took the padding that was under it and threw it out. I then place the cleaned and dried carpet piece back and got a new computer desk. ( the old one fell apart when I moved it..damn cheap wood! ) I then took her food bowl and placed it under my new desk. This deterred her from pissing there since cats won't piss where their food is.

So now a few weeks later I find she decided to start pissing in another corner!! By this time I am really getting fed up. I try to be patient. She is old and maybe she can't remember where the litter box is. I pull that carpet back and spray some urine neutralizer all over the underside and padding. I let that dry out. I decide to take her litter box and place it in the corner thinking maybe she does not like the location of the other two boxes. I lay down some garbage bags and on top of that I place newspaper. The litter box goes on next. I even place paper a good 3 feet around the box. This worked fine a while.

I start to notice not much pee in the litter box when I clean it out. Keep in mind I clean that thing 2 to 3 times a day. Also, I know her pee only because she is a huge cat and her pee clump is large.

This morning I had a few places to go. I walk into my closet and right away smell cat piss. I move some shoes around. That fluckig cat had pissed on my closet floor and my good shoes were soaking in the damn piss!!!! Now I am beyond mad..I am ..furious!!! I have to take all my clothes off the rack and scrub the floor. I get the cat and chase her downstairs. From there I grab her and throw her outside.

I am to the point of having to put her down or leave her outside. We have 3 litter boxes upstairs and 2 downstairs. We keep them clean all thew time. It can't be she has memory loss because she knows where her water is and her food. The litter box is in plain sight. It can't be she forgot where it is. We have 6 other cats and I am guessing the problem with her is the other cats making her nervous. Or she won't go in the same box as the others. There is no way to control who goes where.

I don't really want to put her down but if she continues, I will have to do something. For now I am goi9ng to get my brother to put a door up to my sitting room and hopefully that will keep her away from the other cats.

Anyone else have this problem with their cats? What would you do? Also, what can you suggest to get rid of cat pee? I have been using peroxide. So far it seems to work. Any other suggestions?

OFF

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

Re: Cat problems..ranting and need advice.

Could she maybe have a kidney infection?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

There are many things that affect inappropriate elimination in cats. The biggest factors are:

1. A recent change in the household such as another animal/human moving in or out, rearranging/redecorating, the death and subsequent absence of an animal that was there, a new house, etc. Even small changes greatly disturb elderly cats (cats are considered elderly once they reach the age of seven)

2 A shift in health of the cat that may not be apparent to the owner yet (bladder infection, weak bladder after a litter, diabetes, the onset of kidney disease, etc.)

3 Fear, and/or a situation in which the cat does not feel like he/she has enough territory of his/her own due to a larger population of cats, no matter how well they are all cared for

4 The onset of dementia (usually in the extremely elderly cat)

There are many other factors, but these are the biggies

Things that might help:

Have your kitty tested for diabetes, bladder infection, kidney disease, etc. Make sure that it isn't something that is physical that she can't help.

If you eliminate that, there are things to try, such as:

* keep her in one room with a companion cat that she likes, with a temporary screen door in place of the regular door, with some toys, food, litterbox, etc. She how she does there. If she is happy there, that may be the solution.

* putting her out to fend for herself at her elderly age will be VERY detrimental to her health and happiness. Consider putting her up for adoption to a carefully screened person who understands EXACTLY what her issues are, and will be willing and able to work with her (I have taken in MANY cats with behavioral issues, so those of us who are willing to are out there)

* it's a myth that cats will not eliminate where they eat--they prefer not to, and it's the last place they will go, but they will do it. However, it's worth trying to place small dishes of dry food where she has eliminated, and if you see that she will no longer eliminate there, you can, over time, sneak the dishes away.

* cats at her age can have problems with enlarging bladders that reduce muscle control, and although it's less common in females, they can get urinary tract infections that are painful and itchy and only relieved by frequent urination--which they cannot control. This should be eliminated as a cause.

*although you are frustrated, and I don't blame you for feeling that way, it would be a shame to put down an otherwise loving companion kitty, and it would not make you feel any better in the long run.

There are effective urine neutralizers out there that you can find at pet supply stores, you just have to find the one that your cat recognizes--these break down most to all proteins in waste. Some leave traces that your cat will still pick up on, some don't.

Good luck
    ~~X~~~~X~~
    Nunc scio quid sit amor

~~Resident Urban Cougar-Boo~~
    Joe Elliot, Charlie Hunnam, Wentworth Miller, Kip Winger,Travis Fimmel, Tim McGraw Jon Bon Jovi and Billy Wirth walk into a bar...
    did I forget anyone, girls?

SIT DOWN, BUCKLE IN, HANG ON, SHUT UP
    I will find my inner child and kick his little ass
    Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    |PLAY >|STOP| <<RWD|FFWD>>|RCD|II|STFU!!!|
    You are starting to make sense. Time to up my medications!
    Spay or neuter your animals if you truly love them

We have enough youth--what we need is a fountain of SMART!
    AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE RESOURCE OF UNTAPPED ANGER, now in fashionable PINK
    DO NOT LEAVE ME UNSUPERVISED. If you do, DO NOT LEAVE WITNESSES
    Even BAD kitties get NINE LIVES
    MOMMMMMM...Retro's throwing wombats at me again...
    It's okay dear, they're COMBAT wombats!
    stand there, say nothing...thaaaatttt'ssss better
    80sxchange bad girls club
    trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup
    I can count to potato! I has a SNEAKY...
    Raging bitchkitty
    scared of my own shadow but not afraid of you
    ab astra

That's too bad, TC Brandy sounds like she has alot of great advice for ya. Maybe a trip to the vet would be a good idea just to get her tested! Good luck

TC I had a cat, she was 14, do that and our vet said it was the onset of dementia. He did test her for bladder infection and other diseases.

I highly recommend you take her to the vet.

Tourettes Brother of Diofan
    Bald Brother of Chooch
    Longtime friend of 80's Fanatic!

Maybe clean the litter box less? It might help her to recognize where to go more easily.
    THE BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyBlue
    There are many things that affect inappropriate elimination in cats. The biggest factors are:
    1. A recent change in the household such as another animal/human moving in or out, rearranging/redecorating, the death and subsequent absence of an animal that was there, a new house, etc. Even small changes greatly disturb elderly cats (cats are considered elderly once they reach the age of seven)
    2 A shift in health of the cat that may not be apparent to the owner yet (bladder infection, weak bladder after a litter, diabetes, the onset of kidney disease, etc.)

3 Fear, and/or a situation in which the cat does not feel like he/she has enough territory of his/her own due to a larger population of cats, no matter how well they are all cared for
    I am thinking her problem has to do with the two males cats we have. And the fact that there are so many more cats then she was used to.

4 The onset of dementia (usually in the extremely elderly cat)
    There are many other factors, but these are the biggies
    A possibility. But she still knows everything else.
    Things that might help:
    Have your kitty tested for diabetes, bladder infection, kidney disease, etc. Make sure that it isn't something that is physical that she can't help.
    If you eliminate that, there are things to try, such as:
    * keep her in one room with a companion cat that she likes, with a temporary screen door in place of the regular door, with some toys, food, litterbox, etc. She how she does there. If she is happy there, that may be the solution.
    * putting her out to fend for herself at her elderly age will be VERY detrimental to her health and happiness. Consider putting her up for adoption to a carefully screened person who understands EXACTLY what her issues are, and will be willing and able to work with her (I have taken in MANY cats with behavioral issues, so those of us who are willing to are out there)
    * it's a myth that cats will not eliminate where they eat--they prefer not to, and it's the last place they will go, but they will do it. However, it's worth trying to place small dishes of dry food where she has eliminated, and if you see that she will no longer eliminate there, you can, over time, sneak the dishes away.
    * cats at her age can have problems with enlarging bladders that reduce muscle control, and although it's less common in females, they can get urinary tract infections that are painful and itchy and only relieved by frequent urination--which they cannot control. This should be eliminated as a cause.
    *although you are frustrated, and I don't blame you for feeling that way, it would be a shame to put down an otherwise loving companion kitty, and it would not make you feel any better in the long run.
    There are effective urine neutralizers out there that you can find at pet supply stores, you just have to find the one that your cat recognizes--these break down most to all proteins in waste. Some leave traces that your cat will still pick up on, some don't.
    Good luck
    I am going to try keeping her in one room. ( My sitting room) I will get my brother to put a door in the doorway. I think the way to stop this is to keep the two male cats away from her. I watched her closely yesterday. She was walking around like she had to pee. I watched her walk toward the corner but she seen me watching her, she knew not to go there. She finally went to the litter box. And while she was in it, one of the other cats were waiting to attack her. I think this is the problem. She is afraid to go to the box because she gets attacked.

I am not going to put her down. She has been an outside cat before so she is not unfamiliar to the outdoors. Plus we have a fenced in yard and don't live near a busy street. However, she will stay inside and I will try to keep her separate. I will put her outside only as a last resort.

I know putting her down sounds mean. But I was really upset when I typed this. I doubt I would do that. It would be easier to let Ryan have her for dinner KIDDING!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

I had this problem with my oldest cat a while back (she is 7) it drove me crazy but ended up being a bladder infection!! After one course of antibiotics she never did it again outside the litter tray.

If it isn't an infection, I wish you all the luck in the world, once cats start to spray everywhere, it is hard to get them to stop.
    BON JOVI ROCK!!

---------------------
    No.1 ALIAS fan
    ---------------------

It's also good to understand the hormonal and psychological changes an elderly cat goes through. They often start reducing in protein mass, their eyes sink a few millimeters into their orbits which makes it harder for them to see, younger cats may try agressive behavior to run the older cat out of the "tribe" (it's the survival instinct in them). Younger cats do this by attacking them when they are eliminating, eating or grooming in an attempt to move up the hierarchy.

Sometimes, younger cats too will just play too hard and the weaker elder may feel intimidated, feeling physically worn out from all the contact and then may wish to eliminate quickly to avoid contact with younger cats.

It's not unusual for an elderly cat to seek more and more solitude as they get older, and this is sometimes an indication of stress.
    ~~X~~~~X~~
    Nunc scio quid sit amor

~~Resident Urban Cougar-Boo~~
    Joe Elliot, Charlie Hunnam, Wentworth Miller, Kip Winger,Travis Fimmel, Tim McGraw Jon Bon Jovi and Billy Wirth walk into a bar...
    did I forget anyone, girls?

SIT DOWN, BUCKLE IN, HANG ON, SHUT UP
    I will find my inner child and kick his little ass
    Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    |PLAY >|STOP| <<RWD|FFWD>>|RCD|II|STFU!!!|
    You are starting to make sense. Time to up my medications!
    Spay or neuter your animals if you truly love them

We have enough youth--what we need is a fountain of SMART!
    AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE RESOURCE OF UNTAPPED ANGER, now in fashionable PINK
    DO NOT LEAVE ME UNSUPERVISED. If you do, DO NOT LEAVE WITNESSES
    Even BAD kitties get NINE LIVES
    MOMMMMMM...Retro's throwing wombats at me again...
    It's okay dear, they're COMBAT wombats!
    stand there, say nothing...thaaaatttt'ssss better
    80sxchange bad girls club
    trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup
    I can count to potato! I has a SNEAKY...
    Raging bitchkitty
    scared of my own shadow but not afraid of you
    ab astra

If it continues, I am going to get her checked again at the vet. This time just for a bladder infection.
    Solitude? I wish! LOL Lupe is 100% a lap cat. She loves to be held. She is spoiled rotten. So much that she has a food dish on my bedside table and at times I have to hold her food in my hand.
    I had to attach her pic.
    Last edited by TopCat; 1-10-08 at 08:15 PM.

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

Not much to add for advice, but I just wanted to add that she is a pretty cool cat and this is coming from a non-cat person. Hopefully everything will be ok with Lupe.

Miss you Grandma Ruth
    R.I.P. Scott a.k.a. "Bear" ~ 1962-2006 Miss ya buddy
    Please don't drive drunk.... The life you lose may not be yours!
    One Nation Under GOD indivisible with liberty and justice for all
    ".....Solitaire, Alone I stand, It's all so clear, impressions you falsely take command.
    I'm not like you, there's more than meets the eye in me.......I'm an outcast....." Lizzy Borden - Outcast
    "Now you might take offense to the words like f.uck or shit, but you f.uckin' don't have the right to discriminate me for saying it'' - Anthrax - Starting up a posse
    Official stalker of Jazzmyn ......Come and get some Not Man Lovin'

Quote Originally Posted by Not Man
    Not much to add for advice, but I just wanted to add that she is a pretty cool cat and this is coming from a non-cat person. Hopefully everything will be ok with Lupe.
    Thanks! Yeah..she sure took to you when you were here.

I bought a folding door yesterday at Lowe's. This way I can keep her in one room and close out thre other cats. Now I have to wait for my brother to show up...

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

Hey TC, thanks for posting the pic. She is beautiful!!
    BON JOVI ROCK!!

---------------------
    No.1 ALIAS fan
    ---------------------

I'm inclined to think it's a urinary infection of some type based on what you've described so far. I would definetly consider a visit to the vet if it continues. If the vet says she's healthy for her age, then I would think she is probably intimidated by the younger, more dominating cats. I'm no expert on cats, but a visit to the vet certainly wouldn't hurt.

Thanks Dio for the advice. Gala, I have to admit she is very beautiful. I never seen a cat with her coloring... white with grey tips.

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

Ah..she is a pretty kitty. She has such long fluffy furr, does she shed much?

My cat, even though she is short-haired, sheds a good bit, so between her furr and my hair, the vacuum doesn't stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by bookmistres4ever
    Ah..she is a pretty kitty. She has such long fluffy furr, does she shed much?
    My cat, even though she is short-haired, sheds a good bit, so between her furr and my hair, the vacuum doesn't stand a chance.
    OMG! She sheds like mad!! Her fur is a lot like long hair rabbit fur. There is fur on my bed, floor, couch, desk...you name it! Not only do we have 7 cats shedding but my dog ( chow chow) sheds a lot too. Now she is losing her winter coat. We brush off literally, a bag full of hair every weekend.

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

Let me make her into a nice hot cats-erole! She'll never pee in the corner any more then.

Quote Originally Posted by misterE
    Let me make her into a nice hot cats-erole! She'll never pee in the corner any more then.
    I am willing to take you up on that offer. So long as you leve Winnie out of it.

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

I know this is from a while ago but did you figure it out?

My cat started peeing and pooping right next to her litter box on my bathroom carpet. I had changed the brand and type of her littler like a month earlier and she was using it fine. Then one day she just stopped. So I went out and bought the old litter and as soon as I got it in the door she jumped on top of the box and sat there with a big ol grin. No more probs.

I hope your cats prob was an easy fix in the long run. The most common thing I hear of is a UTI or Kidney Infection like a few others posted. My friends cat even started to pee everywhere when it had some rotting teeth. They had the teeth pulled and the cat went back to it's box!
    ...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things."

Have you hugged your penguin today?

Thread Information