Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Thailand anyone?

80s Forum: Thailand anyone?

Thailand anyone?

My husband and I are going to Thailand in early October (I know it's far off, but I just booked my tix today so I thought I'd ask ) and I was wondering if anyone here has ever been there? We'll be in Bangkok for four days & in Pattaya for the rest of our trip. Does anyone know anything about these cities.....where to go, what to do & most of all WHAT DO YOU EAT there? I've heard some scary stories about the food over there The main thing I'm worried about is that my husband will be occupied for most of the day there and I'm kinda worried about being by myself in a strange country. Is it safe there for an American woman to be walking around solo

Any info would be GREAT! Thanks

Re: Thailand anyone?

Oh PG WOW!! That should be AWESOME!!! I have NO CLUE about Thailand at ALL, except for that I love Thai food! AMERICANIZED THAI, I'm sure!

Be safe, have fun & BRING US PICTURES!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Likes it when they just stand there & don't say anything!
    Proud Bad Girl Sistah

Thanks, Kimmy...to be honest, I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing...mainly the flights to & fro I'm a big chicken on airplanes & we gotta fly all the way from NYC to Toyko then fly to Bangkok. That's a looong ass plane ride! I'm gonna have to get some strong valium!

I just emailed a friend about it (he was in Bangkok for 3 months) and the only advice he's given me so far is this: "Beware of the many Thai women with adam's apples, cause that usually means they come with banana's too" oooookay.... HA!

And yes, I'll take massive pics to share

I thought only horny old men went to Thailand You can eat the food just don't drink the water
    Yes,i'm a new world samurai and a redneck none the less

If horny men have to travel that far just to get a piece of ass, that's a damn shame

A couple years ago, my husband and I were planning on moving there. Thailand is a beautiful country. Bangkok is very crowded (I think it's one of the biggest cities on the planet). There is an "English" section of the city that speaks English and whose signs are in English. The money exchange rate at the time was amazing.

Just common sense travel things - Be very wary of street vendors (especially those selling jewelry). If you need directions, ask the police. Also don't give your camera to a stranger to take your picture (they'll take your camera sometimes). There ARE nice people there, you just got to watch yourself.
    Carry extra water, cause it's alot hotter then you are used to and you'll dehydrate faster then you realize. Wear light loose clothing. If you go to visit the Buddhist monks, be aware there are alot of rules for them.
    Before you leave, get the address and phone number of the United States consolate (Embassey) just in case.

We sponsor two little girls in Northern Thailand (where you are going is in Southern Thailand). We also donate to a school that tries to rehabilitate "bar girls" (i.e. prostitutes) by training them in office skills and trying to get them out of that environment.

Honestly, the internet is your best source of information for traveling to a foreign country.

Bankok/thailand faq

Spoken Thai language

http://www.bangkok.com/

Thailand/TravelGuide

Lonely planet/Thailand

Bangkok in a day

Eating in Bangkok

Thail eating etiquette

The reason we didn't actually move there was basically, at the time, there was a large Muslim uprising from Malaysia which ended badly, and it just seemed too unsafe to travel there at the time. I haven't heard anything in the news about the situation in a long time, so I think it's reasonably safe now, just as always keep yours eyes and ears open. Oh and be careful crossing the street It’s Official - Thailand Has The Worst Drivers

October is the heaviest rains of the year.

I hope that my husband and I can at least go to visit there someday, still not sure I wanna be so far from my family for such an extended amount of time. But the people, I understand are nice for the most part, which makes me want to go.
    Last edited by bookmistres4ever; 5-26-06 at 09:30 PM.

One piece of advice get all of your shots! In all seriousness go see your doctor and see what kind of vaccines you may need.

Myself I would not walk around a strange country alone especially with the way the world is these days.

Tourettes Brother of Diofan
    Bald Brother of Chooch
    Longtime friend of 80's Fanatic!

Thanks Patty for all the links!!

I didn't know Oct. was the rainy month... My travel agent told me July through September

Thanks Kev

I almost went to Thailand for our fall break when I was studying in China. I opted instead to go to Japan when one of my friends living in Osaka offered me a place to stay for free.

I don't know much about where you'll be going, but from the pictures I've seen from Bangkok, it looks like you're in for a real treat. Thai food is some of the hottest food on the planet, so you may want to watch what you eat, too!

Yes, I've heard the food in Bangkok is really scary! My husband found out that there are actually quite a few places in the farmers market that sell American food. I'm still gonna bring granola bars, peanut butter & some Ramen just in case

As for Pattaya....I'm not so worried, I found out that we're staying at a resort that offers a variety of "Americanized" food.

you may wish to purchase bullet proof clothing and hollow tipped bullets

http://edition.cnn.com/
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

This is very sad & disturbing...

Anyone know how her trip went?

Quote Originally Posted by bookmistres4ever View Post
    Anyone know how her trip went?
    Yeah - we demand to know

Quote Originally Posted by Harket View Post
    Yeah - we demand to know
    Well not so much *demand* on my part, but I'd like to hear stories so I can have travel envy.

Thread Information