Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Strummin' with the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen

80s Forum: Strummin' with the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen

Strummin' with the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen

There's a new VA Tribute to Van Halen coming out 6/6 that consists of bluegrass bands paying tribute to Van Halen AND David Lee Roth lending vocals on two of the songs.
    Here's a snippet and tracklist
    (LOS ANGELES, Calif.) The launch of rock icon David Lee Roth's first musical expedition in three years is at T-minus one month and counting. Strummin' with the Devil, the acoustic send-up of Van Halen due June 6 from CMH Records, is much more than de-amplified covers, however.
    Subtitled The Southern Side of Van Halen, the release features top bluegrass performers including John Jorgenson, John Cowan and the Nashville Bluegrass Band covering Van Halen classics like "Panama" and "I'll Wait." But these are far from straight-up covers.
    "I'd always wanted to do acoustic versions of these songs," Roth says, "but not the traditional unplugged of this material. The usual and boring approach is to just play the song as is, but on an acoustic guitar. That's always an option, but complete revision is a real test of your musical abilities and even more, perhaps, a real test of the music's integrity.
    "If you can start becoming extravagant to the point where a super familiar audience, people who have heard these songs 10,000 times, don't recognize it -- and yet when you mention the title it makes absolute sense, then you've created a whole new layer to the experience. Everybody has more fun or gets more serious about it. You re-enjoy it entirely."
    Roth -- the original VH frontman, multi-platinum solo artist, world class mountain climber, helicopter pilot and certified EMT – partnered with renowned bluegrass label CMH Records to assemble the best acoustic musicians in the country, encouraging them to have their way with songs he helped create. His vocals are featured on three of the 15 tracks, "Jump" and two versions of "Jamie's Cryin'" Legendary engineer and producer Bob Clearmountain mixed the tracks featuring Roth's vocals.

1. Jump - David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
    2. Jamie’s Cryin’ - David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band (Full Version)
    3. I’ll Wait - Blue Highway
    4. Runnin’ with the Devil - the John Cowan Band
    5. Dance the Night Away - Mountain Heart
    6. Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love - Iron Horse
    7. Hot for Teacher - David Grisman and Sons
    8. Feel Your Love Tonight - Tony Trischka, Dudley Connell, Marshall Wilborn, Dave McLaughlin
    9. Panama - Cornbread Red
    10. Unchained - Iron Horse
    11. Ice Cream Man - Larry Cordle
    12. And the Cradle Will Rock… - the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band
    13. Could This Be Magic? - the Nashville Bluegrass Band
    14. Eruption - Dennis Caplinger
    15. Jamie’s Cryin’ - David Lee Roth with the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band (Radio Edit)
    I listened to some of the songs, and I gotta say it's pretty good.

Re: Strummin' with the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen

blugrass

Quote Originally Posted by waveofthe80s
    blugrass
    Hey! If a bluegrass band wants to pay tribute to Van Halen. I'm cool with it! Bands do S&M Albums with a classical music Orchestra and people think that is cool. So I say if Bluegrass bands want to play Van Halen Songs in tribute, More power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Diofan
    Hey! If a bluegrass band wants to pay tribute to Van Halen. I'm cool with it! Bands do S&M Albums with a classical music Orchestra and people think that is cool. So I say if Bluegrass bands want to play Van Halen Songs in tribute, More power to them.

yea I was talking to someone who used the same example. Hearing different versions of songs is always cool in my book. it's not often, but every once in a while a remix or cover will be better than the original.

Well, I highly doubt Bluegrass would be better then the original VH, BUT if they have enough respect for VH to do a tribute to them, more power to them!

Quote Originally Posted by Diofan
    Well, I highly doubt Bluegrass would be better then the original VH, BUT if they have enough respect for VH to do a tribute to them, more power to them!

I think most if not all the bands on the CD are long-time VH fans. The CD in my opinion is really good, theyre all great musicians and hearing their twangy versions of classic VH is pretty cool.

DLR was on the Tonight Show singing "Jump" with his blugrass band & he sounded HORRIBLE. Like to the point where it made me embarrased for him.....

Thread Information