Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322
Nrg - Houston - Page 2

80s Forum: Nrg - Houston
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nrg - Houston

Re: Nrg - Houston

nrg6400 are you still around?

I'm not sure if NRG6400 is still around, or how he wound up with my entire NRG set (though I have an idea who did it - the guy I commissioned to do the cover art for the discs). I've seen the set up a few times. The first 15 were done by Noo Beat records (the gay one who worked there, not Malcolm, the one with no personality). While he put up some great songs, the tracking flow was simply atrocious. These were available for sale at the store, some of which went for $90/piece. You have to recall, they had the first CD burner and back then it cost $10k. Years later, when burners dropped down to about $1500, I bought my professional quality HHB and decided to continue the set, except making sure not to jukebox the tracks so that St. Che went into Wallygator House Band or Final Cut would be followed by Twin Hype (What???...who would ever). Anyway, no NRG disc was ever made by a DJ from NRG. 16-29 were at least made by a DJ from Houston in the 80's (me). These were never available for sale. They were never uploaded anywhere by me. So, Troy Cagle is the reason they even exist on-line to traded.

- - - Updated - - -

NRG The club was only open about 2 years (86 to very early 88, if that). The songs on the NRG series "borrow" when they claim to be from Club NRG because anyone in Houston that was in the scene knows that all the clubs were knock-offs of #'s musically. Bruce Godwin (co-owner of #'s, and ex-#'s DJ along with Robot) owned Record Rack, which is where all the DJ's shopped. If we were being accurate, all these discs people where making would say "#'s." The other clubs (Xcess/6400) were where the "normal clubbers" went to not be around the freaks and goths yet still hear the same music. And it was a great secret scene at the time. You couldn't hear this stuff anywhere...until 6400 broadcasted on 93Q, killing the entire 80's scene in doing so as every jerk jock in the greater houston area became aware of not only this weird great new music, but the best drug to come around in a lifetime, ecstasy (and not that junk passing around under that name today or the last 15 years, though mid 90's got somewhat close). When the parents couldn't control their idiot jerk jock kids, who would go to the clubs and start fights, then come home on all X to be confronted by parents, the blame got put on the clubs, namely those ones staying open till 5-7 AM by frustrated parents that decided they needed to the city to help them raise their children right. Then you started seeing the raids. Who else remembers house lights on, music dead stop and everyone being lined up in the center dance floor with pills being discarded on the floor for police searches? That happened at least once a month. #'s was raided with a camera crew on shown as entertainment on Channel 2's "City Under Seige." Remember, not two or three years prior, ecstasy was being sold legally at the cigarette bar at #'s. But when 6400 took it mainstream by broadcasting, the end was in the wind.

Next, the cops shut-down Westheimer for 6 months. Remember how jammed up Westheimer would be from the car traffic? True, most of these were probably high schoolers trawling for trouble, but it was manageable. Q93 and that radio broadcast everyone is so fond of on these sites, made both the ecstasy scene and the club scenes nightly news fodder. I couldn’t believe that when the cops left after six months, the kids didn’t just start right back up, but you see, there’s the lesson in this, you only need momentum to kill a scene. They never returned.
    But, the parents weren’t satisfied with a few pesky busts because their incorrigible kids still got out to the clubs. I know because I was one, apparently with cooler parents as I had been working as a DJ club Eclectic since 17. So the next thing I had to do as a kid of 17 was march down to city hall to protest the ordinance the parent’s successfully put before city council requiring all clubs to close at 2 AM. No one remembers this part. Turns out, city council wasn’t so interested in what me or my friends had to say and the parent’s got their way. All clubs had to close after last call. Can you think of a more idiotic policy? Remember everyone rushing the bar at last call? Come and get it, now get your keys out and hit the road. STUPID! But that’s the standard that would reign for over ten years. In fact, John Hanely would only find a market to open an afterhours club (Club Therapy) because of the fact that this ordinance passed and all because Club 6400 broadcasted on the radio bringing music to the masses, and not the right ones. It is such an engrained notion to club owners that they still close at 2AM, even though they don’t have to once the ban was lifted years back. Or, the other reason is, mission successful, momentum properly killed. Now, of course, 1989 saw a plummet in good ecstasy globally, so the scene, as all scenes do, was going to end, but 6400’s broadcasting caused Mayor Cathy Whitmier (our first gay mayor) to make us all endure the clubs closing at 2 AM for the last year ecstasy was still awesome, and as we all know we could not afford that time. A scene can come and go in that time alone.
    But, I guess the people that went to 6400 just don’t make the true connection that club left on what was really the best dance era in Houston Texas, where half of all Razormaid subscribers were in Texas and New York had nothing on us for just a brief moment in time.
    But, for songs on the NRG series not being really played there? Of course not. Some of those songs I never even played in a club; several were just for the ecstasy whig parties after the clubs closed. #’s was already well established before NRG and became an institution since, so these should really be the #'s Volumes (save for cheesier early techno 6400/Xcess hits like 2 U Hi and those types...and of course, Twin Hype, though #'s did play Moses P., believe it or not)

HeadHunter by Front 242
    Nitzer Ebb

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on. Man, the memories are flowing again. Agreed, Record Rack was the place to get all the razormaid. I remember buying my records at a small record shop next door to Dream Merchants. It was run by Andrie Morant and Chris Anderson. I think these guys spin techno in Chicago. Anyways, I remember NRG very well. I used to hang out with a crowd of DJs from Milby High School that played all the tracks from NRG , Numbers. The best times.

Quote Originally Posted by sidtripper View Post
    Anyone remember the Rosco and Marty afterparties. Seems like I was at NRG every friday and saturday. I wonder what Adam and Andy Aaronson are up to. What about Bones? Although the club was quite excessive with the drugs, it sure was fun. Lots of babes!! Never been anything like it since it closed. The end of an era!! Thanks for publishing the music.
    I went to Marty's after-hours parties, I think, over in Sharpstown. John Hanley allowed my sister and I to enter free from the first opening until the club closed. I know, too, Adam and Andy Aaronson (loved Andy's T-shirt he had made that read "Nobody Know Me From Adam" and my girlfriend was dating Adam for a very short while just before I met her during Christmas of 1988. It was a very wonderful time in my life and I feel that Bones saved my butt from many a fight back then when I was much more aggressive with other people.

Truly glad I saw your post and I'm only seven years late to this thread. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Xcess-N-Htown View Post
    Good luck. Since there were no live broadcasts, everyone is going to have to go on memory. Did any one go to NRG and stay sober enough to remember more then 2-3 songs that played that night? You can go to my website and click on the club tapes. I have 3 tapes from NRG's and the tracklisting is there. Also, any of the 1988 6400 songs, would probably have been played there as well. I only went to NRG's once and didn't have that great of a time, so I can't say I remember any song being played at NRG's. The club closed in 1988 as the owner went downtown and started the club EGO's. It was a 21 and up club that was suppose to get all the older people that didn't want to hang out with the 18 and up at 6400 and Xcess. It didn't work out and changed to a late night club, Therapy, after the law forced liquor serving clubs to close at 2am. The dj at Therapy, Willie, was also a dj at NRG's.

Replying a decade later.... For the record, there was a short lived live broadcast from NRG on (believe it or not) 106.5 KQQK during the latter days of their run as a top 40 format. Yes they tried to get in on the act along with Power 104 and 93Q. It ran roughly through the summer of 1988. I have some audio at the tail end of a couple of tapes from me flipping through the dial after recording a 6400 broadcast. It catches the last few seconds of KQQK's broadcast as they are closing out the show before sending it back to the studio. Must upload and post a link soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information