Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

white lion "return of the pride"

80s Forum: white lion "return of the pride"

Cool white lion "return of the pride"

Well finally a real White Lion album, at least as close as you can get having only one original member, at least Mike finally gets it that if you are going to sing white lion then be white lion. White Lion fans will be pleased with this album; itís a good new beginning with everything sounding like it should from mikes raspy voice to the crisp guitar work from his new band mates. I found the album a bit mellow even for white lion but I really have no complaints other then a few more tracks would have been good, its too short. So fans get out and get it or old feline will indeed go extinct. For those that donít like white lion this will not change your mind, for the fence sitters, well lets face it there is none, only those that love white lion and those that donít. It is an acceptable album worthily of the name White Lion.

Sangre De Cristo
    Dream
    Live youríe Life
    Set Me Free
    I Will
    Battle of little Big Horn
    Never let you go
    Gonna do it my way
    Finally see the light
    Let me be me

Bonus tracks

Wait (live)
    When the children cry (live)

Rating 7 / 10

Re: white lion "return of the pride"

Sounds pretty 80s to me. I'd like to hear more...

And yet you say Kamelot is "nothing special"???

It's too bad the others won't get back together. Granted, Mike is the voice of WL but I just don't think I can buy something without more of the original members. I loved WL back in the day! Glad to see Mike is still singing, tho.
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    And yet you say Kamelot is "nothing special"???

Comparing White Lion to Kamelot is like comparing apples to oranges, I like music that is simple as well as music that is complex, and to me one is not better than the other. I like and support Kamelot I just have not had the WOW factor moment with them. I have heard many bands doing similar things so although I think Kamolot is one of the best I donít really see it as being anything special. Would I like to go see one of their shows? Absolutely! When I compare bands I try to compare bands that are similar and to compare the band to its previous work, then to its contribution to rock n roll. I stand by my review I think the album could have been stronger and needed a few more songs but white lion fans should find it enjoyable.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder then, because I saw White Lion - even compared to other hair bands - as nothing but a third rate Bon Jovi ripoff with a whiny singer.

That's what I meant by my first quote.

Someone must think Kamelot is something special, as they're being hailed as one of the best bands around of their genre...and I think if you DID see one of their shows, you'd definitely change your opinion. That's how it happened for me. I thought they were a great band, but seeing them live was the clincher.

Do iut if you get the chance.

I do see your point, I definitely will see Kamelot if I get the chance and I think your right that it woud change my mind. I highly respect your opinion and knowledge on these things, I live in an area where metal went extinct 20 years ago then a couple of years ago my best friend who got me into metal passed away and i have been an army of one since so I may be a bit jaded sometimes not having anyone to share and discuss metal with. I guy at work was looking for somthing diffrent so I turned him on to Kamalot that is now one of his favorte bands so i try to pass the goodstuff when i get the chance. On the other thread i was not so much disagreeing the Kamelot was somthing special, justthat they had not reached the pincale for me at present per-say. I personaly can't see white lion being 3rd rate but the solo stuff and crapy production of mikes live white lion material and messing with the arrangments with out adding new marerial for me was 3rd rate. Weather or not the new version of white lion and hold up well live on tour or not i have yet to see but the album sounds good.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder then, because I saw White Lion - even compared to other hair bands - as nothing but a third rate Bon Jovi ripoff with a whiny singer.

Someone must think Kamelot is something special, as they're being hailed as one of the best bands around of their genre.

White Lion blows. Sorry but itís as true today as it was then. As someone who is on the fence most of the time when it comes to metal (itís gotta be good or I donít even waste my time) I must say that after Pagan first posted some links for Kamelot I have been playing their stuff around the house a lot. My kid thinks its just noise and way too loud (I have a 7.1 Surround Sound System and tend to crank it) but then again heís only 12yrs old and until just last year still though Rap was cool. Some heavy doses of Zeppelin fixed him up right and good. White Kitty is not even in the same league with Kamelot. Sorry if I pissed anyone off but I can tell the difference between good music and soft serve.
    "Kiss me, Iím Canadian."
    Officially Stalking TX Sweet!
    Here kitty kitty, want some milk?
    Computer guru to 80ís Queen.
    Top Cat's Dream Man
    Chained Jenny C.to the bedpost.
    Victim of Dioís secret ďZombie ProjectĒ

You can have it if you want it... but you gotta beg me for it first.

Quote Originally Posted by scraggy View Post
    I do see your point, I definitely will see Kamelot if I get the chance and I think your right that it woud change my mind. I highly respect your opinion and knowledge on these things, I live in an area where metal went extinct 20 years ago then a couple of years ago my best friend who got me into metal passed away and i have been an army of one since so I may be a bit jaded sometimes not having anyone to share and discuss metal with. I guy at work was looking for somthing diffrent so I turned him on to Kamalot that is now one of his favorte bands so i try to pass the goodstuff when i get the chance. On the other thread i was not so much disagreeing the Kamelot was somthing special, justthat they had not reached the pincale for me at present per-say. I personaly can't see white lion being 3rd rate but the solo stuff and crapy production of mikes live white lion material and messing with the arrangments with out adding new marerial for me was 3rd rate. Weather or not the new version of white lion and hold up well live on tour or not i have yet to see but the album sounds good.
    Bro, pick up the live DVD "One Cold Winter's Night". About the closest you can get to seeing them if they don't come around.

I grew up on Slayer, Judas Priest, Metallica, Dio (Obviously), Anthrax, Megadeth...bands like that, White Lion was nowhere on my music list (Yes I have heard WL, but was never impressed with them). Pagan is right (IMHO) in that White lion was nothing more then a Bon Jovi Ripoff. But Bon Jovi did it better...hell they are still around with most of the original members (Minus Alec John Such - bassist).

It wasn't until I signed up on the xchange, that I heard about Kamelot and Symphony X. Both bands are way ahead of their time. From what I've heard of them, Mike Tramp couldn't even hope to be in the same league as these two bands!

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

I definitely will pick that DVD up. I basic agree with you Diofan I would not venture to say white lion can hold a candle to those bands. Basically my view of things maybe twisted because here when you looked in even the most die hard metal heads tape case You still saw white lion and poison right next to their slayer, anthrax , and Megadeth even when they claimed not to like them. In the clubs here bands like slayer would play the dame venue on the same night with a hair band so the line between rock and metal was always blurred. From a Sociological point of view this was because of the lower population and religious culture forcing rockers and the metal heads to combine forces as well as bands to make money. Thatís why my view is off I guess compared to every one elseís, had a grown up in one of the larger cites in the east or west coast I am sure my view would be similar to most of yours. I have always been the black sheep though, I think I am the only person to never have watched American idol or any of the survivor series, hell I donít even have a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by scraggy View Post
    I definitely will pick that DVD up. I basic agree with you Diofan I would not venture to say white lion can hold a candle to those bands. Basically my view of things maybe twisted because here when you looked in even the most die hard metal heads tape case You still saw white lion and poison right next to their slayer, anthrax , and Megadeth even when they claimed not to like them. In the clubs here bands like slayer would play the dame venue on the same night with a hair band so the line between rock and metal was always blurred. From a Sociological point of view this was because of the lower population and religious culture forcing rockers and the metal heads to combine forces as well as bands to make money. Thatís why my view is off I guess compared to every one elseís, had a grown up in one of the larger cites in the east or west coast I am sure my view would be similar to most of yours. I have always been the black sheep though, I think I am the only person to never have watched American idol or any of the survivor series, hell I donít even have a cell phone.
    You're alright with me bro.....and no, you're not the only one who hasn't watched American Idol or Survivor! LOL!

Can't stand either one!

I guess my view is skewed by the fact that I hung out at a club in Brooklyn back in the 80's called Lamour, and White Lion were like the f*cking house band there.

They were managed by the owner, rehearsed there, and played often in the venue. Bad enough I didn't like them to begin with, but then they were constantly around.

Maybe if I didn't see them so much I wouldn't loathe them the way I do!

Smile Re: white lion "return of the pride"

Thanks pagan I appreciate that. I understand hearing a band that your so, so about anyway over and over then the house thinking their the bomb shoving it in your face, been there, done that. Since every one has had fun kicking the big cat in the fangs, I am going to put my opinion out there since even being neutral for the sake of the review I have been taking a lot of heat and being a fan I am obligated to say something, I like white lion (yells from highest mountain before falling off) My reasons are I like mikes voice, I think it is distinctive, I like his writing and I think as long as he keeps it to a venue that he can do there is a small audience out there for him. I think lady of the valley is a great song as well as road to Valhalla although I have always felt that might be a cover from some unknown entity I am unaware of. I cannot fathom why one would not find those songs of worth as least so some extent. There I have spoken (got your back mike, hope you appreciate cause I just earned a butt load of disrespect points) WhewÖ. Ok Iím Good nowÖ.Life can go on now.

That took balls, bro.

Have you ever seen what Mike looked like when his career started? Hoo boy...lemme know if you haven't and I'll show you.

That took balls, bro.

Have you ever seen what Mike looked like when his career started? Hoo boy...lemme know if you haven't and I'll show you.
    I wanna see! I was never a big fan. I think I liked little fighter for 5 minutes. Ofcourse there are bands I love that make people go
    ~*uuɐloɹɐɔ~*
    Stalked by the fantabulos Prefab Sprouter
    Partners in Crime with Annette
    Proud member of the metal chick posse
    Member of the Xchange Badgirl club!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    ~ Ellen Goodman

Trekkin By Harket..

Boston Bruins

Quote Originally Posted by Slayergrrl View Post
    I wanna see! I was never a big fan. I think I liked little fighter for 5 minutes. Ofcourse there are bands I love that make people go
    Okay....

LMAO!! Is that Leif?
    ~*uuɐloɹɐɔ~*
    Stalked by the fantabulos Prefab Sprouter
    Partners in Crime with Annette
    Proud member of the metal chick posse
    Member of the Xchange Badgirl club!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    ~ Ellen Goodman

Trekkin By Harket..

Boston Bruins

ok that blined me, it's gona another 10 years to get those imagies out of my mind.

Those are hilarious! Not surprised, though, when I've seen other pics of bands before they got big, they look about the same. Check out the American Hair Metal book, OMG, those are some damn funny pics! These were great!
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

Thread Information