Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

80's "classic hits" the new "oldies"

80s Forum: 80's "classic hits" the new "oldies"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

80's "classic hits" the new "oldies"

from a link at www.fark.com

'80s tunes become the new oldies

NEW YORK - The music blaring from the speakers of a small pub on a recent Friday night seemed like typical oldies fare: Aretha Franklin's "Respect," the 1970s tune "Disco Lady" and the 1950s surf instrumental "Tequila." Then, "Karma Chameleon" ó the 1983 hit by Culture Club ó came on.

The music was from WCBS-FM, a New York-based station that used to rely on songs from the '60s and '70s, and occasionally, the '50s. Now, like similar stations around the country, WCBS has deemed music from the '80s as the new oldies.

Not that the station calls them oldies ó "Classic Hits" is the favored term.

"We discovered the word 'oldies' symbolized music from the jukebox-era," said Brian Thomas, the station's program director and vice president of Classic Hits programming.

Station executives say the decision makes perfect sense considering the changing demographics of radio. Research found that the traditional oldies audience was moving out of advertisers' coveted 25-to-54 demographic, and that adding '80s would be a good way to maintain that lucrative audience.

The result: "Let's Hear it for the Boy" (1984) and "Caribbean Queen" (1985) share air time with more traditional oldies like "The Way You do the Things You Do" (1964) by The Temptations and "Proud Mary" (1969) by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Oldies stations across the country are evolving for similar reasons. WQRV-FM in Huntsville, Ala., formerly an oldies station, changed to Classic Hits two years ago. They dropped the '60s and now play '70s and '80s. KQLL-FM in Tulsa, Okla., converted to a Classic Hits station last year. They no longer play early '60s music. The format changes were ratings successes.

Thomas says the incorporation of '80s music isn't that different from the station's original oldies days.

Changing to Classic Hits is "like the Senior Tour in golf now being called the Champions Tour," he said. "It's the same age group, but they don't consider themselves seniors."

The origins of the format switch date back a few years.

WCBS-FM started in 1972 and grew to become the nation's No. 1 oldies station and New York's No. 8 in Arbitron ratings. But in 2005, the station changed formats to "Jack." Considered to be the hot trend in radio programming, "Jack" was designed to attract a younger crowd by playing songs from the '70s through the most recent releases at the time.

But the station's ratings plummeted.

"I only listened to WCBS-FM from July 1972 until June 3, 2005," said Cara Sieden, 52 of Floral Park, N.Y. "I was crushed ... I felt like someone in my family died."

The station scrapped the "Jack" format last summer in favor of "New York's Greatest Hits." The new format seems to be working: The station jumped to No. 3 in the ratings a few months after the change.

Michael Harrison, founder of TALKERS magazine, a radio industry publication, says programmers are dealing with two interpretations of the term oldies.

One is literal, meaning it's music from years ago. The other defines it as a genre ó specifically '50s and '60s rock.

Bob Shannon, one of WCBS-FM's popular on-air personalities, said the term may be obsolete.

"Music is everywhere now ó it's in commercials, movies, on the Internet," said Shannon. "It's not just about good times and good memories anymore. It's about good music. It transcends the time period."

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Re: 80's "classic hits" the new "oldies"

I dont consider 80s music "OLDIES" I dunno.......

Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange

Well in New Zealand 60s music rarely gets played on the popular stations now. Times are changing.

In some ways it's sad that the oldies era has got the boot. Let's not forget that the 80's era was based on the 60's, so it's a little bit hypocritical.

If a Classic Radio station is truly classic, then it should play a mix of music genres across all the decades and then maybe have regular dedicated time slots for just one era IMHO.

This is what local radio have been doing in my neck of the woods and it works great.
    Stalker of TC and Jen
    Milani's partner in Crime
    Official supplier of Officially Crap UK music to DJDaffy
    Stalker of BrandyBlue

There is a local seattle station that has NEVER used the term "oldies". It has always referred to itself as "Seattle's Classic Rock Station". In the 80s and 90s you'd hear songs from the 60s and 70s on that station. In the last 5 years or so, it has added 80s rock to it's rotation. That station is KZOK 102.5 FM.

I find myself listening to KZOK more often then I used to.

It's not uncommon on that station to hear a playlist like:
    Iron Butterfly
    Beatles
    Van Halen

Seattle also has a "Jack FM" station (96.5 FM) and Chooch LOVES that Station!

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

You hit the nail on the head there Diofan, why on earth did so many radio stations play every decade BUT the 80's is quite beyond me. These are the same stations that have suddenly decided to play the 80's in rotation, but in all honesty they should be totally ashamed of themselves for denying the listener the opportunity to appreciate one of the best decades ever for music.

Only slowly are stations beginning to separate the rather cliched image the 80s has in the eyes of the media and critics from the actual reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Diofan View Post
    There is a local seattle station that has NEVER used the term "oldies". It has always referred to itself as "Seattle's Classic Rock Station". In the 80s and 90s you'd hear songs from the 60s and 70s on that station. In the last 5 years or so, it has added 80s rock to it's rotation. That station is KZOK 102.5 FM.

I find myself listening to KZOK more often then I used to.

It's not uncommon on that station to hear a playlist like:
    Iron Butterfly
    Beatles
    Van Halen

Seattle also has a "Jack FM" station (96.5 FM) and Chooch LOVES that Station!
    Stalker of TC and Jen
    Milani's partner in Crime
    Official supplier of Officially Crap UK music to DJDaffy
    Stalker of BrandyBlue

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    You hit the nail on the head there Diofan, why on earth did so many radio stations play every decade BUT the 80's is quite beyond me. These are the same stations that have suddenly decided to play the 80's in rotation, but in all honesty they should be totally ashamed of themselves for denying the listener the opportunity to appreciate one of the best decades ever for music.

Only slowly are stations beginning to separate the rather cliched image the 80s has in the eyes of the media and critics from the actual reality.
    I have a theory for why they do that Chasey. I can't speak for British stations or Canadian Stations, but it seems like here in the USA, a Song must be at least 20 years old for these stations to consider them a Classic Rock song.

Just yesterday they were playing Songs from Guns N Roses' "Appetite For Destruction" album (Which came out in 1987....21 years ago)

That would mean that in about 2012 we can probably expect to start hearing Nirvana songs on these stations right alongside Judas Priest.

My Facebook Profile

We used to have an "oldies" station here that played '50s, '60s, & '70s. A few years ago it changed to Bob FM and now plays the '60s through today. It's bad for the people who like the '50s because they no longer have a station to listen to. It makes you wonder if eventually as we get older, the '80s will be culled out of the radio station's playlist.

You know you are getting old when...your top hits of your childhood become "classic hits". LOL

Itís funny, I love 80ís music but when Iím listening to the radio I always play Q107, Torontoís classic rock station and one of the biggest in North America. They play hits from the 60ís to todayís music but sadly very little of their play list is comprised of 80ís music. The rest is rock hard and kick ass, so I never change the dial. When Iím online I listen to 977 The 80ís Channel.
    "Kiss me, Iím Canadian."
    Officially Stalking TX Sweet!
    Here kitty kitty, want some milk?
    Computer guru to 80ís Queen.
    Top Cat's Dream Man
    Chained Jenny C.to the bedpost.
    Victim of Dioís secret ďZombie ProjectĒ

You can have it if you want it... but you gotta beg me for it first.

wavemaster is offline David Hasselhoff reunited Germany in '89

You are going to regret the day when 80's music became labeled as "Classic" by radio stations...because this marks the point when you will get to hear the same handful of songs again and again.

For example, you might think that some artists which were quite big in the 80's had only one hit, because only one song will be played again and again. And not only once, but twice or even three times per day. Given the fact that airplay is also a key for chart notation, it's pretty strange that they are not entering the charts again.

Proud GERMAN member of the "OVE" Club

That's pretty much the way it is here in New Zealand now.

wavemaster is offline David Hasselhoff reunited Germany in '89

Quote Originally Posted by Recker View Post
    That's pretty much the way it is here in New Zealand now.
    Now? That's the way in Germany since the end of the 90's...that's why I'm rarely listening to all these "best music of the 80's, 90's and today"-stations anymore. I know that Nik Kershaw had more hits but "The Riddle" and more excellent tracks like "Radio Musicola", just to name one example.

Proud GERMAN member of the "OVE" Club

Hell yeah. "Radio Musicola" (possibly his best song in my books) never gets played. Same with "Wide Boy" another favourite of mine. Just "The Riddle" and "Wouldn't it be good".

I'd say it's been like that (as with Germany) here since the late 90s too. It's just the same stuff regurgitated all the time, which is why I tend to listen to CDs rather than the radio stations.

I have been told for years that an 80's radio station was a ratings bust, even during the "80's revival". Why is the format doing so well now?

I listen mostly to Sirius now, they have whatever I'm in the mood for set aside for me.
    nolanbuc - the Commish
    "Hijacking threads and beating dead horses since 2001"

World Fantasy Sports - Official Home of the World Fantasy Football League.

KZOK seems to be doing pretty well ratings wise. It plays (IMHO) the best 3 decades of rock (60s,70's & 80's). You are pretty much guaranteed to hear at least 3 or 4 80s songs an hour.

My Facebook Profile

I guess the secret is the mix of 80's with older stuff.

One of the best stations on Sirius is Classic Rewind, playing rock from about '75-'95.
    nolanbuc - the Commish
    "Hijacking threads and beating dead horses since 2001"

World Fantasy Sports - Official Home of the World Fantasy Football League.

Love the Classic Rewind station!

Quote Originally Posted by nolanbuc View Post
    I guess the secret is the mix of 80's with older stuff.

One of the best stations on Sirius is Classic Rewind, playing rock from about '75-'95.
    According to Radio Ratings Company "Arbitron", Out of 35 Stations in the Seattle market rated, KZOK is at number 8, "Seattle's Best Rock" rated at Number 11 (Probably because it's excuse for "Best Rock" is newer stuff from the 90's and today). KZOK Ranks Number 6 in All FM Stations in the Seattle Market, and #1 in all Rock Formats in the same market.

Stations ahead of KZOK are primarily Talk/Sports Radio Stations. However I guess Seattle's musical tastes really suck because at #2 is a Rap/Hip-Hop station (KUBE) and a Soft Rock Station at #1 (KRWM)

My Facebook Profile

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

What's wrong with hip hop? I wish Erie had a hip hop station. I'm tired of the same old crap on the two rock stations. Led Zeppelin had more than just 3 songs. As did the Beatles and Stones and Floyd. We have two country stations. I love country but the 2 stations, including the one I work at play the exact same songs. I want hip hop in Erie, give me a choice. I'd settle for CHR/rhythmic. When I'm in my car and the radio is on it's usually news talk, sports or religious talk.

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Quote Originally Posted by djdaffy1227 View Post
    What's wrong with hip hop? I wish Erie had a hip hop station. I'm tired of the same old crap on the two rock stations. Led Zeppelin had more than just 3 songs. As did the Beatles and Stones and Floyd. We have two country stations. I love country but the 2 stations, including the one I work at play the exact same songs. I want hip hop in Erie, give me a choice. I'd settle for CHR/rhythmic. When I'm in my car and the radio is on it's usually news talk, sports or religious talk.
    Nothing at all if you like Hip-hop (I don't...Just my opinion). Interesting to note though, you work at a country music station Daffy, KMPS, Seattle's biggest country station ranked #3.

Just fyi, here's the most recent top 15 Seattle stations (ones that play 80s music in bold)

KRWM-FM
    Soft Adult Contemporary

KUBE-FM
    Rhythmic Contemporary Hit Radio (Hip-Hop/R&B)

KMPS-FM
    Country

KIRO-AM
    News Talk Information

KOMO-AM
    All News

KWJZ-FM
    Jazz

KCMS-FM
    Contemporary Christian

KZOK-FM
    Classic Rock

KING-FM
    Classical

KKWF-FM
    Country

KISW-FM
    Active Rock

KBKS-FM
    Pop Contemporary Hit Radio

KJR-AM
    All Sports

KJR-FM
    Classic Hits

KPLZ-FM
    Hot Adult Contemporary

If you want to see how your stations rank, Click here and in the "Market's" Menu, click on your nearest city in the list (That's the market you are in).

My Facebook Profile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information