Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

1986 letter in a bottle found!!!

80s Forum: 1986 letter in a bottle found!!!
    djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

1986 letter in a bottle found!!!

from a link at www.fark.com

1986 message in bottle drifts 1,735 mi.

SEATTLE - Merle Brandell and his black lab Slapsey were beachcombing along the Bering Sea when he spied a plastic bottle among the Japanese glass floats he often finds along the shore of his tiny Alaskan fishing village

He walked over and saw an envelope tucked inside. After slicing the bottle open, Brandell found a message from an elementary school student in a suburb of Seattle. The fact that the letter traveled 1,735 miles without any help from the U.S. postal service is unusual, but that's only the beginning of the mystery.
    About 21 years passed between the time Emily Hwaung put the message in a soda bottle and Merle Brandell picked it up on the beach.
    "This letter is part of our science project to study oceans and learn about people in distant lands," she wrote. "Please send the date and location of the bottle with your address. I will send you my picture and tell you when and where the bottle was placed in the ocean. Your friend, Emily Hwaung."
    Brandell, 34, a bear hunting guide and manager of a local water plant, said many of the 70-plus residents of Nelson Lagoon were intrigued by his find. Beachcombing is a popular activity in remote western Alaska. Among the recent discoveries was a sail boat that washed onto shore last October.
    "It's kind of a sport. It keeps us occupied. It's one of the pleasures of living here," Brandell said of the village reachable only by plane or boat that is too small to have its own store.
    He had no idea just how unusual his find was until he tried to track down the sender: a fourth grader from the North City School in the Shoreline School District.
    No one answered the phone when Brandell called the school in December so he sent the school district a handwritten letter, which eventually ended up on the desk of district spokesman Craig Degginger.
    After some searching, Degginger discovered Emily Hwaung is now a 30-year-old accountant named Emily Shih who now lives in Seattle. She was in the 4th grade during the 1986-87 school year at a school building that closed more than a year ago.
    "I've been getting a kick out of it for a month now," Shih said during a recent interview.
    She said she was flabbergasted by the news and immediately shared it with her Kirkland co-workers.
    "I don't remember the project. It was so long ago. Elementary school is kind of foggy," Shih admitted.
    The project may have been more memorable if each child had created her own message and personally dropped it in the water, but the letters from Carol Aguayo's fourth grade class were typed. The students only added their names and signed them, then a friend carried the bottles on his boat and dropped them in the ocean.
    "It took away a little of the mystique," Shih said of the form letter.
    She also was a little chagrined by the offer to mail a photo to whomever found the letter and by the environmental implications of dropping plastic bottles in the ocean, and noted that times have changed a lot in 21 years.
    "I've had a good laugh about that with all my friends," Shih said.
    As she was sharing her story with friends and co-workers, Shih realized how rare it was for a message in a bottle to arrive safely somewhere.
    "Many of them had tried to do it themselves, but you never hear of one coming back. The odds are so low that you'll ever hear back from somebody," Shih said. "It was just kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing."
    Brandell has a theory about how the bottle ended up on the shore of Nelson Lagoon and how the letter remained so readable after its 21 years in transit. Maybe the bottle didn't spend those years in the water. It might have blown his way quickly and then remained buried in the mud for years.
    It was found among some Japanese floats that took a similar journey many years ago. They don't really wash ashore. They extrude out of the mud and into the hands of beachcombers, who sell them on eBay or craft jewelry out of them like Brandell's mother does.

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Re: 1986 letter in a bottle found!!!

Thats so cool!
    ~*uuɐloɹɐɔ~*
    Stalked by the fantabulos Prefab Sprouter
    Partners in Crime with Annette
    Proud member of the metal chick posse
    Member of the Xchange Badgirl club!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    ~ Ellen Goodman

Trekkin By Harket..

Boston Bruins

It’s a good thing the message didn’t say something like, “Dear God, help me!! I’ve been forced to eat my own head to survive!” hehe
    "Kiss me, I’m Canadian."
    Officially Stalking TX Sweet!
    Here kitty kitty, want some milk?
    Computer guru to 80’s Queen.
    Top Cat's Dream Man
    Chained Jenny C.to the bedpost.
    Victim of Dio’s secret “Zombie Project”

You can have it if you want it... but you gotta beg me for it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Frost View Post
    It’s a good thing the message didn’t say something like, “Dear God, help me!! I’ve been forced to eat my own head to survive!” hehe
    That is because it was not from zombies

What a freaky event. Who would have thought?!

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

It's very freaky. Probably wouldn't happen again in a hundred years.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s Queen View Post
    It's very freaky. Probably wouldn't happen again in a hundred years.

"Good evening. This is March 24, 2108 - I’m Some Guy and this is the evening news. Tonight’s top story – a bottle containing a 100 year old letter was found floating just off the shore of…"
    "Kiss me, I’m Canadian."
    Officially Stalking TX Sweet!
    Here kitty kitty, want some milk?
    Computer guru to 80’s Queen.
    Top Cat's Dream Man
    Chained Jenny C.to the bedpost.
    Victim of Dio’s secret “Zombie Project”

You can have it if you want it... but you gotta beg me for it first.

LOL! You just couldn't resist. Could ya. That's cool. It's all good.

That is really cool.
    I remember doing the message in a bottle thing with one of my friends into the Chesapeake Bay when I was little, but we didn't put our contact information in the note because we were afraid we'd get in trouble for littering.
    **Official Stalker of the musically omniscient TJ**
    **Stalked by the fantabulous OPC**
    **Mutual admirer of DJDaffy, my dream man**

I will give you every penny's worth, but it will cost you a dollar first.
    alli on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Frost View Post
    "Good evening. This is March 24, 2108 - I’m Some Guy and this is the evening news. Tonight’s top story – a bottle containing a 100 year old letter was found floating just off the shore of…"
    ....Written by Zombies!

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

What a great little story!!!
    Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book
    The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!

Official Stalker of the Amazing & Wonderful jen*!!!
    Openly Stalking Torchwood Fan!!!
    Thrilled to Have Our Beloved Xchange Back Again!

Very good

That is very cool! I remember sometime back around the late 90s someone found a message in a bottle around here that was from like the 50s! And it was also believed that it had been buried for a long time as well.

Now if it was from 1886....

You ol' cynic!!!
    http://proudfootband.ie/ - PROUDFOOT Soul and Funk Band!

Thread Information