Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need opinions on a job situation

80s Forum: Need opinions on a job situation
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a pineapple under the sea..
    Posts
    1,213

    Need opinions on a job situation

    I have been unemployed for the last month (long story) and have had a few options but just need someone else's opinion.

    Option 1: This is a job I interviewed for 4 years ago when I was laid off. It's nothing that exciting, just designing an ugly catalog that the owner likes ugly. I was -- this close to being offered this job back then but another company beat them to it. When I applied for this job, I didn't know it was the same place until I got there. One girl remembered me, too. I have had three interviews there already. The girl I'd be working with is super nice.

    Here's my problem, this job is 2 hours away. I'd have to commute or stay in a hotel (the cost of both are the same due to the high gas prices). I can't move because I just bought my house in October and I don't want to sell it. I love where I live.

    They knew my living situations and my would-be manager had asked if I would want to freelance just to make sure the housing situation would work. I felt this would be a wonderful option because I can afford to stay in a hotel and I can still look for other jobs.

    Option 2: This job is an hour away and would be a wonderful position for me. I'd have my own office and everything! I'd be responsible for ALL the design and web design that goes out of this company. I could easily commute from my house or I could stay with my parents during the week as they live even closer to this job. I have friends that live in the city so if weather was ever bad, I could easily stay with them.

    I have my second interview with them tomorrow morning. They want to fill this position by the 2nd week of May, which is really close. The present person in this position is retiring at the end of the month and has been there for 7.5 years.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I went to my third interview at Option 1 on Monday. I talked to my would-be manager and told her that I really think freelance is the best option for me right now because we know the housing market is horrible for sellers (and I don't want to sell anyway, but I didn't tell her that) and I don't want either of us to be committed to something that might not work. She seemed very cool with that so I waited to hear back from her with some numbers.

    So, yesterday morning, I wake up to an email from the manager of Option 1 saying she talked to her boss and they have decided to bypass the freelance option and offer me a job FT. Of course, I don't know what to do. I interview with Option 2 tomorrow and will let them know at the end that I do have another offer on the table but I REALLY want to work for them in hopes they bust a move. I have stalled Option 1 until Monday in hopes Option 2 makes a decision.

    But, if Option 2 doesn't pick me, I don't know what to do. I talked to my dad and he told me I really don't have many options so what I need to do is email the lady who offered me the job and tell her that I will think about it and get back to her on Monday, which I already did.

    If that job doesn't pan out, I will have to ask Option 1 if I can freelance. If they say no, I will have to take it FT and make it work. My dad said that some money is better than no money and he's right.

    The weather is good so I would be okay for driving but in the winter it won't be an option.

    These are the only two irons I have in the fire. I need to make my house payments but the gas is going to kill me but the gas vs hotels aren't that much of a difference as I'd have to fill up every day. I only have a 12 gallon tank and it's $40 to fill it.

    What would you guys do? The only issue here is the distance. If this job wasn't so far away, I'd take it in a heartbeat because I could still look for something else. The market is horrible for jobs but if I take this, I would feel horrible to quit right away and even if I get other interviews, how will I go to them when I'm so far away? I just feel bad for this company because I don't plan on staying there forever. I know, I shouldn't care but I just do.

    So many questions, I try not to worry but I really do. I can't not have any money (I don't have unemployment and only my bf brings in money but it's less than half of what I brought in).

    Suggestions? Advice?
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    CANADA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    8,151

    Re: Need opinions on a job situation

    If you need to take Job 1, knowing your only doing it till something closer to home becomes available, find a cheap place to stay, close to work, and stay there a couple night a week like monday tuesday and thursday.

    Is there any chance they would let you work a 4 day week if you worked longer hours ?

    and keep your eye out for other jobs closer to home
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    13,091

    Re: Need opinions on a job situation

    Thats a tuff one. Option 2 definately rocks! If I think of any ways to stall option one for a while or speed option 2 up a bit I'll let ya know!
    ...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things."

    Have you hugged your penguin today?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a pineapple under the sea..
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Need opinions on a job situation

    I just read the email that Option 1 sent me. They won't let me have until Monday to decide.

    Good Morning Jill,
    I am actually available to talk this afternoon at 2pm or Thursday afternoon at 2pm which I would prefer over Monday since I may be out of town. I am really excited about moving ahead on this and talking to you about your decision.
    Just so you know too that Stacy’s official last day is May 23rd which is coming fast. We have had a long process of interviewing people trying to find the right person and we are super happy that we found you. I understand the decisions and planning that you have to make to move forward but I do think the sooner we discuss everything than the sooner we can all start our planning.
    I hope to hear back from you!
    Thanks,
    Chelsea
    And here was my response to her just now:

    Hi Chelsea,

    I totally understand your wanting to move forward and how quickly Stacy's date is coming up but yes, I do have a ton of decisions to make and think about. I'm thrilled to have received your job offer, it's just a matter of my figuring out what will work and what won't in my personal life as this will be a huge life change for me but please don't think I'm not interested!

    I will be out of town and unavailable until Friday, will something work that day? I want to move forward on planning as well but would like to set up a time that works for both of us and tomorrow, unfortunately won't. I'm so sorry. If Friday won't, we could even talk over the weekend, too. I'm totally fine with that!

    Thanks,

    Jill
    It pisses me off that they are forcing me to make a decision but yet I do understand their wanting to move forward. I just don't know what else to do. If I don't have an answer from Option 2, I will have to accept Option 1 with more money and then tell them I'll start later even though they want me to start sooner. You can't make me do this, you know?

    I went through my expenses for number purposes.

    My round trip would be 248 miles. Mike would have to change my oil at least once a month, I would need new tires sooner than later, I would spend $1000 on gas a month. A hotel would be $650 a month for el cheapo. I'd have to ask them for almost $7000 more than what they offered me to make this work.

    I'm feeling too much pressure.
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a pineapple under the sea..
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Need opinions on a job situation

    Okay, just got back from the interview. It went really well, I met with the same two people as well as the VP and a woman on the board. The lady who sits on the board was so nice, she kept saying how nice my stuff was.

    At the end, the HR lady told me that they would be making their decision by the end of next week due to her being at a conference. I told her that I appreciated her letting me know that and that I had another job offer but I REALLY want this job due to it being such a good fit and much more my style and that I have to give the other person an answer but would much rather say yes to them (Option 2) rather than Option 1.

    They didn't seem too phased by that but who knows. Maybe they will go back and make a decision but she told me that they were bringing in 4 people back to interview.

    I talked to my dad on the way back regarding Option 1 and how it would cost me $1000 in gas. He told me that I could ask them for more money to make up for the difference but if they agree to it and Option 2 offers me a job, I won't be able to take it because that wouldn't be fair. After talking to him for 20 minutes, he finally told me I should tell them that due to it costing me an extra $1200+ (gas and food), I would feel much better freelancing for them. Tell them I understand they want someone to start right away but due to my house and the extra costs, freelance is all I can do right now. He also said I should tell them I am waiting on another job but I'm not sure I should.

    Any thoughts? Dad didn't think it was right to take a job and then back out on it because they stop their interviewing and what-not. I know that the girl who took my last job backed out the Friday before she was to start on Monday so I know it happens but he said that it would make me look bad if I did that. What do you guys think?

    I worry they won't let me freelance but I guess that's a chance I have to take. I've only been on the market for a month but it's scary to think it could be longer considering it was 8 months before I found my job after I was laid off but I have two more jobs and a bigger degree so have to think positive.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I had to go to the doctor and while the nurse was in with me, I saw a call coming from Option 2. I couldn't answer it but was so excited that they might be calling me to offer me the job since they knew I had another offer. They didn't leave a message so was going to call them but when I came home, this was in my inbox:

    As you know we interviewed four applicants for the Marketing
    Coordinator position. We were impressed with your qualifications and
    experience however, two of the candidates had a greater breath of
    experience. Since you mentioned you had a job offer on the table, I
    wanted to let you know today that we are unable to offer you the
    position at this time. We felt it was unfair to make you wait until next
    week for our determination.

    Thank you for your interest in this position and best of luck to you in
    your job search.
    I want to crawl in a hole.

    When it rains it pours. I applied for another job a few weeks back that would be really cool but never heard anything so called them back today to see what was up. They offered the job to someone much younger with no experience and made her an associate designer so that's what happened there. I also got my reject letter today from the other place I interviewed at a few weeks ago.
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,163

    Re: Need opinions on a job situation

    I'm so sorry that option 2 fell through, but atleast they didn't let you hang on for the next week and a half wondering if you made it. Just think long and hard about this job so far away. I mean going so far away from home, Mike, and everything will just kill you I know that! I mean yes I know the money will be good and such, but you'll be spending it all on gas/hotels/food and not having much to bring home when you do get a chance to go home. You have to remember that no job is 100% always going to be there for you either, no guarantees and who says you accept job 1 and then in a few weeks they let you go cause of someone else (not trying to be mean here) but you know that could always happen, and I say why give so much to them and they are so far away from you. 2 hours is a very long drive and I know how the weather gets in the wintertime up by you and it SUCKS! lol Gas prices are stil going to go up and by summer they are supposed to be outrageous, no matter what size gas tank you've got ya know? Good luck sweetie and whichever decision you make!! You'll be in my thoughts
    Last edited by Annette; 5-01-08 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Had to fix something

    Annette
    Partners in Crime with Slayergrrl
    Proud Member of the Metal Chick Posse
    Proudly stalking and being stalked by the Cool Canadian80s
    Twins Separated at birth with Jillybean
    Best Buds with Tinajo
    BCRichRocker4JC's Silician Cyber Sis
    Goonie Buddies with the most awesome RetroMan
    http://www.facebook.com/ohiogooniegirl

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Home on the Ranges of Texas
    Posts
    1,503

    Re: Need opinions on a job situation

    Hang in there Jillybean (BTW, my name's Jill also!!) I can SO relate!!
    A few years back, I took a dream job in the Communications Office of our Diocese. It was an hour drive each way & because I was the Bishop's PR liason, I also had to be at ALL of his appearances throughout the ENTIRE diocese. Turned out to be 60-80 hrs/week job plus the commute!! Wore me down FAST!! After proving myself & making some wonderful contacts throughout the diocese, I now work freelance, not only for the diocese, but also for the Arch Diocese and many organizations I made contacts with during my position in Communications.
    I would suggest a few things to make Option 1 more bearable.
    1) See if perhaps you could find a small apartment or loft for perhaps less than the hotel. Sometimes apartments will make a good deal for a corporate or business apartment!!
    2) See if they will negotiate a travel allowance. I believe the current IRS allowance is set at around .49cents/mile. You'd be surprised how this can add up. Sometimes my travel allowance was almost as large as my actual salary!!
    3) Go ahead and ask for the $7000 or even perhaps a little more and be willing to negotiate ... you never know ... just don't be too stubborn & end up with not even the offer!!
    4) Make a "pros" & "cons" list looking at the rationality of the whole deal. Then, wait a day or so and search deep into your heart and soul, pray or whatever you do faith / spiritually wise for peace. Let the answer come to you in your heart in that peace.
    I'm no expert, but hope some of this can help!!
    Best of wishes for you that it all works out for the best for you!!


    J2

    "Good" Catholic Girl, Vampire Queen
    Forever Stalkee/ing Princess of Tempest Frost (who's stalking who?!?!)
    Actively stalking Diofan and my dear DJDaffy!!
    Sweetest with WOWthe80s (NO, we AREN'T gay!!!)
    Top Cat's Partner in Crime!
    Corrupting Torchwood ... and anyone else I can brainwash!!!
    No more secrets but I still have a naughty side!!
    BlackDragon's everything HAWT!!


    Live through feeling and you will live through love. For feeling is the language of the soul, and feeling is truth. -- Matt Zotti

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    My other car is not a Dogsled.
    Posts
    1,244

    Re: Need opinions on a job situation

    I hope it all works out for you, Jillybean. I know how painfull it can be when the job you really want is offered to someone else. At least they were good enough to tell you quick so as not to keep you waiting... and hoping. Option 1 may be the only road.

    Best of luck and please let us all know what happened.

    Michael
    "Kiss me, I’m Canadian."
    Officially Stalking TX Sweet!
    Here kitty kitty, want some milk?
    Computer guru to 80’s Queen.
    Top Cat's Dream Man
    Chained Jenny C.to the bedpost.
    Victim of Dio’s secret “Zombie Project”

    You can have it if you want it... but you gotta beg me for it first.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a pineapple under the sea..
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Need opinions on a job situation

    Thanks everyone. I tried to negotiate with Option 1 to see if it I could make it work. My would-be manager wanted to help me but the owner refused. He didn't budge an INCH. I was actually really surprised. I had to turn it down, which was probably the right thing to do but when you turn down something when you have nothing, it hurts.

    I have no more irons left in the fire so it's depressing. I have been applying everywhere and for anything but since I'm pretty specialized, it's tough to find jobs in my field unless I live in a metro area, which I don't. I'm 2 hours away and can't move as I'd have to sell my house, which is virtually impossible with the market, nor do I WANT to sell it.

    I'm going to talk to a college an hour away about going to school for web design. It's an AAS degree but I already have a BS as well as another AAS so I wouldn't have to take half of those classes. Web is huge and I'd have more of an option with this under my belt.
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    18

    Need opinions on a job situation

    I think I posed the wrong question, and I thought about it more last night and came up with a better way to approach this:

    I want to increase my vastus lateralis development. I'm not concerned with my squat strength, that is progressing fine. I guess based on that statement, what should I do?


    If you treasured this article and also you would like to get more info pertaining to Where is the Elder Scrolls 6 going to be set kindly visit our own webpage

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
[Output: 106.97 Kb. compressed to 91.64 Kb. by saving 15.33 Kb. (14.33%)]