Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I saw my first hair metal concert last night

80s Forum: I saw my first hair metal concert last night

I saw my first hair metal concert last night

Unfortunately, last night was my first hair band concert. I wish I would have seen something like this years ago when everyone was in their prime...

First out was Sebastian Bach. I missed his first couple of songs - but I heard all the stuff I'm familiar with. Maybe it's just that it was in hot Florida - but he seemed exhausted. He moved around the stage plenty! But his voice - it just wasn't there.. He's not old.. I'm confused.. He just sounded bad. The rest of the band did very well - though I'm not sure who they are. Of course, it's not Skid Row..

Next was Dokken.. They have so many songs.. I knew all of them. I don't own a single Dokken album, however. Keep in mind that I did NOT like hair bands when they were popular. I only became interested in the late, late 90s. In any event, Don Dokken sounded terrible.. Again, the band did very well. But the lead vocalist just should not be singing anymore.. He couldn't hit any of the high notes - nor the mid notes - just grumbled the low notes.

Next up was Poison - the main event. They did put on an Excellent show.. But Brett Michaels didn't sing. He did sputter a few words every so often - everything else was inaudible. However, every time he called for "C.C.", his voice was crystal clear. The man can no longer handle vocals. And again, the band was excellent.. Very excellent..

Before I go on - let me ask. At what point did C.C. Deville become a guitar God? I'm a Poison "fan" - but not a "fanatic". In other words - I like most of their music - but I haven't followed their history. I was always under the impression that C.C. Deville was a second rate guitarist - usually too drunk or high to get it right.

This was not the case last night. He looked extremely healthy - and he played extremely well. In fact, he stole the show - hands down. For every solo, he got the kind of roaring ovation that I'd expect to see if Jimi Hendrix walked on stage and started playing. Everyone else throughout the night received normal praise from the audience......

So, again, I know these guys are not in their primes - but I kinda think it's time to hang it up. I can entirely understand why a band like Journey has a new young guy who sounds exactly like the guy who originally made them famous. It's nice to see the original bands and/or some of the members - however, when the songs don't sound anything like they're supposed to because the vocals are either so bad or just non-existent, it really takes away from the experience......

Re: I saw my first hair metal concert last night

11 views and no responses.. Hey, people. I'm just telling it out it is.....

I actually saw Poison/ Cinderella/ Winger/ Faster Pussy Cat in 2003, it was a good show , CC had lost his weight by then, and although Cinderella was my favorite by far, I did enjoy the show Poison put on. I don't know where CC would rate on a list of accomplished guitarists, but his pedigree seems to indicate he's ahead of Rikki Rocket and the rest.

You know he did beat out Slash to the job in Poison, whether it was due to hhis ability, or when Rikki Rocket suggested Slash put on some makeup and change his wardrobe, Slash left
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

I seen Sebastian Back on some tv show singing and it was awful. Either he lost his voice or his singing was really edited in the 80's Plus he needs a good hair conditioner.

Not crazy about Dokken or Poison. I do foresee CC having a good career outside of Poison.

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

What happens to these guys? I mean - they're not OLD. I hate the new "Rock" Metallica but I bet James Hetfield doesn't sound this bad in concert - otherwise they wouldn't be so popular.

I'm going to see the Poison tour tomorrow and I am so excited. I've been waiting years to see Bach live. His new CD is excellent so I am expecting to hear some of those songs, which I'm sure he'll play.

I saw Poison in 2002 and they were pretty good!!! I think the show tomorrow will be great.
    Always an 80's girl! // I Sold My Soul To Rock 'N Roll // Don't Let Real Rock Die
    Stalkee of Ted Nugent!
    Stalker of the charming and sweet Guancho!
    Adopted by Pagan!
    Dad - I love you now & always. 1945 - 2002...RIP
    If wantin' the good life is such a crime...Lord, then put me away!
    - Poison, "Nothing But A Good Time"
    My teachers didn't like me
    They always tried to put me down
    'Cause I wore my hair too long
    I played my music way too loud
    - Bon Jovi, "Blame It On The Love Of Rock 'N Roll"

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I'm going to see the Poison tour tomorrow and I am so excited. I've been waiting years to see Bach live. His new CD is excellent so I am expecting to hear some of those songs, which I'm sure he'll play.

I saw Poison in 2002 and they were pretty good!!! I think the show tomorrow will be great.
    Let me know if you hear Brett Michaels say anything other than, "C.C.!!"...

Thumbs up Re: I saw my first hair metal concert last night

Have seen Poison play a few times. Once “back in the day” and a couple of times in 1999 and 2000. I have always enjoyed them in concert. I thought they were better in 1999 than in 1989! Mostly for the stated reasons of C.C. being drunk and high back in the 80s!! But he was on the money in 1999 and 2000.
    I have seen a few other “hair bands” in their “prime.” Def Leppard, Great White, Ratt, Dokken, L.A. Guns, Motley Crue and a few others. Always a good time!!

GLad you got to see them all Sal, I would have loved to see Dokken, but if Don wasn't up to singing then it's not like you're getting your money's worth. At least Joe Elliott does a good job still of hitting the higher notes and hitting the mid range ones that the majority of the lyrics are sung at. I am sure that they were just over heated because they aren't used to our Florida heat. Thanks for the blow by blow descriptions, it sounds like it could have been better, but it also could have been worse.

I feel for you bro...don't know if I could sit through a hair band concert.

Well coming from N.Ire I have a snowballs chance in hell of seeing the likes of Dokken and Poison play over here and tbh I wouldn't care how they sounded so long as I was able to see them but that's just me a desperate hair metal fan with no bands to see ...did see the Leps recently but Belfast is their second home

I had a great time at the concert, unfortunately I was feeling really sick during Sebastian Bach's set (some virus I picked up on the cruise I just went on I think). Plus the arena was maybe 1/5 full so he was playing to a mostly empty house...I have to say I was a little disappointed. Bach himself did a good job but nothing like what I'd expected. I'd say about half the people were there during Dokken's set, which I was actually pleasantly suprised during, I liked their songs. Poison was great as usual but I noticed Bret's voice seemed a little off during the slower songs...not sure how to describe it. It also could have been the sound mix, which was WAY TOO LOUD and overshadowed the singing during the whole concert.
    Always an 80's girl! // I Sold My Soul To Rock 'N Roll // Don't Let Real Rock Die
    Stalkee of Ted Nugent!
    Adopted by Pagan!

Well i am guessing I must have seen a much better show in St. Louis on 08/17/08. Bach sounded great. He did a great set. His voice on and right with his songs, even the older ones like 18 and Life.

Dokken sucked to me. I knew some of there songs, but Don just didn't seem to want to be bothered to perform. His band did a good job. He was the weak link.

Poison as usual put on a good show. I will say i could hear when Bret initially spoke to the crowd that his voice was raspy. Like he was sick. That still didn't hinder them from putting on a great show. St. Louis has become one of their spots so to speak. They recorded a dvd here last year. I am somewhere in the sea of ppl on that thing.

So it sounds like to me you got them on an off night. Bach was so on i wanted him to stay on longer. He and Poison would have made me happier if both had put about 5 more songs in each of their sets and Dokken would have sat the night out. Sad really, too bad they didn't have a better band between the 2 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hairfarmer View Post

So it sounds like to me you got them on an off night. Bach was so on i wanted him to stay on longer. He and Poison would have made me happier if both had put about 5 more songs in each of their sets and Dokken would have sat the night out. Sad really, too bad they didn't have a better band between the 2 of them.
    Totally agree! I wish that they had played a little bit longer! Although I did like Dokken's set, they weren't as good as Cinderella who I saw play before Poison in 2002, but I was pleasantly suprised at their performance.

At my show, it wasn't Bach who was off, but more like the crowd. I wish there had been more people there to get into his songs!!!
    Stalkee of Ted Nugent!
    Adopted by Pagan!

Thread Information