Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore

80s Forum: Why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore
    djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

Why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore

For those who haven't seen the video on Youtube yet, here is why MTV no longer plays videos. I think this is pretty funny. I wouldn't watch the videos they'd play today anyway, plus I'd miss Snooki

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Re: Why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore

Funny and true. Ya really don't need TV to watch much of anything at this point... it's all online somewhere! Except live sports, but even some of that can be found.

This is what I posted about the video on original VJ Alan Hunter's Facebook page:

I see that you liked the YouTube video "Ask A Network Head", and agreed with its' hypothesis, caustically worded thought it was, about why MTV doesn't play music videos anymore. I have a different viewpoint on the subject, and I want your opinion. This is just my opinion...I don't claim it to be a fact: I've collected enough vintage MTV footage from various sellers to notice that starting in the mid-80s, shows like "The Monkees" and "The Young Ones" were airing in reruns on MTV. Though the former was about a band, and the latter has a musical performance in each episode, both were basically sitcoms, and were taking up time that could've been devoted to music videos or interviews with musicians. Where things changed were in 1987. You, Mark and Martha were still with the network in 1987, but you were joined by the game show "Remote Control". Although they did have the "Sing Along WIth Colin" mini-game and the music video guessing
    game at the end, it was basically a pop-culture game show, basically a TV version of "Trivial Pursuit". That pop-culture would expand to a show devoted to movies ("The Big Picture"), a stand-up comedy show ("The Half-Hour Comedy Hour") and a fashion program ("House Of Style"), none of which were music video programs. From there, you got "The Real World" and "Road Rules", and by the 90s, videos were seen less frequently, and when you could see them, they were often obscured by comments from teenagers, both fictional ("Beavis And Butt-Head") and real ("Total Request Live"). Most of this occurred before anybody ever heard of file-sharing. In summation, I think MTV's change in direction can be put in the corners of "The Young Ones", "The Monkees" and "Remote Control".

----

Alan agreed with me, which I thought was cool.

Oh don't get me started on emPTV.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Cyber Sis of Diofan and Chooch
    NOT So Secretly Stalking 80sTrivia
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic
    THAT MODERN ROCK SHOW W/GHOSTY

Unfortunately people would rather download music than actually pay for it (I am from the old school and still buy CD's but I am in the minority) Videos cost a lot of money to make and no one seems to want to buy new music. The networks no longer saw that as profitable so MTV changed and not for the better in my opinion. The M was supposed to stand for Music. Vh1 Classic still shows some videos but they show the same ten videos over and over again.
    Hard rock and metal forever.

well said, Scandal. Is your name from the Scandal I'm thinking, because I loved that band.

I miss Mtv. I have to catch a video on youtube now.

Here's my opinion on MTV......

Need I say more?

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

MTV makes more money on little girls who get pregnant than they do playing music videos. I think they should have to change their name though, it just doesn't make sense anymore. I wish the video was still working because it sounded like it would be pretty funny.

Thread Information