Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

LaptopQuestion

80s Forum: LaptopQuestion

Thread: LaptopQuestion

LaptopQuestion

Tech question: The laptop I'm borrowing is a Dell Inspiration 2650 and since I'm using it as a regular computer instead of a portable one do you think it's okay to take the battery out? I have noticed the computer gets pretty hot, which I've read is normal for laptops. I have also read the battery can lose life if it's in the heat too long. My boss, who is letting me borrow the laptop said the battery isn't good anyway, but I don't know how good it is to leave it in if it's going to be plugged in all the time. I've never used a laptop and I'm just wondering about his. And also, is it good to leave the laptop on for hours or should I shut it down after a while. As I said before, I notice it does get hot. It's well ventilated, so that's no issue. I just don't want to ruin anything since it's not my computer.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Cyber Sis of Diofan and Chooch
    NOT So Secretly Stalking 80sTrivia
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic
    THAT MODERN ROCK SHOW W/GHOSTY

Re: LaptopQuestion

I am fairly sure you should never, EVER take a laptop battery out. Hows about not being online all day Molly?
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government" - Thomas Jefferson.

Your not supposed to run the laptop without the battery. I work 10-12 hours a day with a laptop, plugged in, and have never removed the battery. The laptop is at least 5 years old. If your laptop is heating up that high then there's a problem with the laptop
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Laptops do get warm, simple as that. If it's getting so hot that you think that there is something wrong, shut it down, simple as that. You can invest in a cheap laptop cooler to put it on while you are using it and that might help draw the heat away from it.

You might have to cut down your computer stuff until you get your new one. Check out www.surpluscomputers.com for some really good deals, or www.tigerdirect.com if you don't want to deal with basics you have to spruce up a little.

Until then, just limit your online time.
    ~~X~~~~X~~
    Nunc scio quid sit amor

~~Resident Urban Cougar-Boo~~
    Joe Elliot, Charlie Hunnam, Wentworth Miller, Kip Winger,Travis Fimmel, Tim McGraw Jon Bon Jovi and Billy Wirth walk into a bar...
    did I forget anyone, girls?

SIT DOWN, BUCKLE IN, HANG ON, SHUT UP
    I will find my inner child and kick his little ass
    Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    |PLAY >|STOP| <<RWD|FFWD>>|RCD|II|STFU!!!|
    You are starting to make sense. Time to up my medications!
    Spay or neuter your animals if you truly love them

We have enough youth--what we need is a fountain of SMART!
    AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE RESOURCE OF UNTAPPED ANGER, now in fashionable PINK
    DO NOT LEAVE ME UNSUPERVISED. If you do, DO NOT LEAVE WITNESSES
    Even BAD kitties get NINE LIVES
    MOMMMMMM...Retro's throwing wombats at me again...
    It's okay dear, they're COMBAT wombats!
    stand there, say nothing...thaaaatttt'ssss better
    80sxchange bad girls club
    trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup
    I can count to potato! I has a SNEAKY...
    Raging bitchkitty
    scared of my own shadow but not afraid of you
    ab astra

Ron, I don't spend all day online. Since the weather is nice out, I do spend time out. I do admit in spending more time online lately since I haven't been feeling well and don't feel like getting outside. Hopefully after my surgery I'll be feeling more up to getting out more. I love the outdoors.
    And I solved my problem on the heating issue on the laptop. I put the laptop on four water bottle tops to raise it up off the desk. There is more ventilation that way, I also have a small fan I have next to the computer to help with the cooling.
    Thanks, Dawn on the suggestions. I I have dealt with Tiger Direct before, that's where I got my last computer. They are a good service.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic

I't may not be my place to speak, but if your borrowing a laptop, and it's producing enough heat to substiture as a George Foeman Grill, you might want to pack it up and give it back. Even with the best laid plans of propping it up some water and blasting it with a fan , I highly doubt it was the manufactures desired means of cooling or even the owners wishes. You might want to let the owner know what's going on , and put it away if it's producing that much heat. I'm just concerned the thing is going to break and your stuck either paying for it or loosing a friend, besides it's summer who needs a computer anyway. I know for me if I lent someone a computer, walked in and they had some concoction set up like the professor from Gilligan's Island, I'd lose it , but that’s just me I can become very ornry
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

My laptop gets warm when running for any length of time. It's Normal, don't worry about it. Leave the battery in though, if it's dead it's not generating any heat.

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

Cal, the computer is fine now. And I'm not blasting it with water. I have some water bottle tops propping it off my desk so it gets better ventalation. It's still warm, but not as hot as it was before.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic

My "dont stay online" was sarcastic Molly, no offense intended.
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government" - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    My "dont stay online" was sarcastic Molly, no offense intended.
    No offense taken, Ron.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic

I run my laptop 90% of the time with no battery. Two and a half years no problems and the battery still holds a 4 hour charge
    Yes,i'm a new world samurai and a redneck none the less

Thread Information