Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

80s Movies - Are they still better than this decades movies?

80s Forum: 80s Movies - Are they still better than this decades movies?

View Poll Results: In general are movies today better than 80s ones based on sheer entertainment value?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • In some ways

4 44.44%
  • No better, no worse

3 33.33%
  • Worse

2 22.22%
    Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange

80s Movies - Are they still better than this decades movies?

Already pretty much covered this in a previous thread, but thought it would be cool to do some polls.

How are movies this decade compared to the 80s when it comes to pure entertainment value and desire to see more than once. I know the special effects are a lot better and we’ve got CGI and all that, but in general do they stack up?

Are your all-time favorite movies still mainly 80s movies?

What are your favorites in the last few years?

…………………………………………

My all-time favorite movies are still 80s ones, plus a couple of 90s and 70s movies. Sure I still love going to the movies, but I don’t give as many 10/10s as I used to.

Favorite movies in the last few years? Geeze, I had to really think about that. There are none that I would put in my top 10, but here are my personal favourites:

Harry Potter series
    Star Trek
    Slumdog Millionaire

Re: 80s Movies - Are they still better than this decades movies?

The 90's was the decade for movies with Schindlers List, Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Goodfella's, Saving Private Ryan , Silence of the Lambs, There's Something about Mary, Seven, the list goes on.

I think the 70's/80's had some good movies, but poor graphics special effects, the 90's improved the the grittyness and special effects,

However today , I see movies as 1) blockbusters with huge budgets because of the special effects, 2) fantasy/sci-fi, superhereos 3) newer veriosn of past movies/tv shows that 1/2 the time they take a drame ad change into a comedy and finally the Jude Apatow type comedy where all they do is shows couples or best buddies talk about vaga's all day long. I never thought I was a prude and I enjoy a good comedy with some T&A, but now it's constant sex talk .

I think todays movies rely on the big budgets special effects or the shock value , and less on good story telling
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Movies today have the better graphics/animation. But the storylines are lacking by comparison to movies of the 80s. IMHO!

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

Better technology and effects today for sure, but the content is definitely lacking. That and creativity is dwindling... you don't see a lot of new completely original movies anymore... lots of remakes that never live up to their predecessors. I've found better storylines in some videogames than movies of the current generation

Only movies I've actually gone out to see have been the latest Batman trilogy.

chooch210 is offline The Eiffel Tower is in England

Movies today have better effects, but i enjoy movies from the past better.
    WHOOPTY FREAKIN DOO!
    Proud member of the "OVE" club!
    Fan of djdaffy!
    80'sfanatics little sis!
    Good friends with Molly

Crowbar reserved for Torchwood_fan

IMO, I LOVE 80's movies because of the nostalgia and the fun-free attitude of the 80's that's connected to the movies.
    Although, the 80's DOES have a decent amount of 'good' movies (as far as dialogue and story line are concerned).

However, I think these days we probably have just a few more good movies than we had in the 80's (dialogue/story line).

BUT...the original question was about 'sheer entertainment'...so I'd say 80's wins hands down with all it's cheesy-corniness, nostalgia, and fun spirit.

I like Pixar's material, and I thought the "Expendables" and "Hangover" movies were enjoyable, but I still prefer 80s movies.

Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange

I think there's a glut of CGI moves now. It's like everyone goes on about how wonderful they are just because of the animation, but often the stories are pretty mediocre. What I really hate is how they take animals and try to give them modern-day human personalities. I got dragged along to the latest Ice Age movie a few weeks back and couldn't believe how lame the so called "cool" teenaged Wooly mammoths were. I just couldn't get over wooly mammoths having personalities like that.

I agree with Roemello... there's an awful lot of remakes around at the moment! It annoys me when they attempt to remake films that were brilliant to start with... they should just leave them alone!!

Agreed. The same with great songs. 'If it ain't broke, leave it alone!'

The graphics now are better.
    We had some great movies and seeing them now with the new special effects I bet they would be better for example
    BeetleJuice
    Lost BOys
    THe Fly
    Weird Science
    Back To The FUTURE
    ET
    INDIANA JONES MOVIES
    LEGEND

Quote Originally Posted by sassy View Post
    The graphics now are better.
    We had some great movies and seeing them now with the new special effects I bet they would be better for example
    BeetleJuice
    Lost BOys
    THe Fly
    Weird Science
    Back To The FUTURE
    ET
    INDIANA JONES MOVIES
    LEGEND
    I can see where youre coming from, however, i think these films are so strong as originals that with different actors, producers and directors i think they lose the original feel of what makes them great... I mean, could you imagine Marty McFly being played better by anyone other than wonderful Michael J Fox?

If we could somehow superimpose the quality of current graphics and effects into the originals, that would be cool.

Thread Information