Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New 80's music station planned by Absolute Radio

80s Forum: New 80's music station planned by Absolute Radio

New 80's music station planned by Absolute Radio

Absolute Radio has announced the forthcoming launch of a new radio station dedicated to 1980s pop music, which is aimed at fun-loving but "reluctant" adults.

Titled Absolute 80s, the new station will commence broadcasts at the start of December on London DAB and the internet in the slot previously held by Absolute Xtreme, reports The Guardian.

Aimed at 30 to 54-year-olds, the station will exclusively play '80s pop bands, such as the Human League, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Duran Duran. It will join the main Absolute Radio station and Absolute Classic Rock in the group's digital lineup.

Absolute chief operating officer Clive Dickens claimed that there is a market opportunity for a station catering purely for listeners over 30 who want to stay connected to their youth.

"These are people who have responsibilities, are members of families but still want to participate and have fun and be involved in music," he said. "A huge chunk of our audience grew up in the '80s."

The Xtreme station - which was carried over from previous owner Virgin - will be shelved indefinitely, but listeners can still access the new music it carried via the company's online interactive service Dabbl.
    From Timbo
    Check out http://www.planettimbo.tk - it's my new internet home!!!!!

Re: New 80's music station planned by Absolute Radio

Sounds awesome. I'm anxious to check it out. We really do need more 80s stations. The way I see it, you can never have too many.
    Another Good Catholic girl
    Secret stalker of Tempest
    Star Trek freak
    Guardian of all things furry

There was an online station sometime ago called Play 80's (Part of the Play Radio Network) which was on during the summer. That has since ceased broadcasting, as the Play Radio guys moved from "The South Coast" to Southampton.
    From Timbo
    Check out http://www.planettimbo.tk - it's my new internet home!!!!!

There aren't nearly enough terrestrial radio stations dedicated to 80's music. I wish there were more like there used to be around the turn of the decade (late 90's)

For now, I listen online to Star 107.9, America's very first 80's radio station:
    http://www.star1079.com/

The only location where you have a lot of 80s radio is live365 or something but nothing really stand out.
    It will be a value addition, if they play commercial 80s and not just alternative songs that nobody ever heard of.

1.fm also has a lot of 80s stations, there is Flashback Alternatives, which is great. Yeah, I'm biased since I know the owner and several of the DJs there.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Cyber Sis of Diofan and Chooch
    NOT So Secretly Stalking 80sTrivia
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic
    THAT MODERN ROCK SHOW W/GHOSTY

Thread Information