Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322
Any idea what song this is?

80s Forum: Any idea what song this is?

Unhappy Any idea what song this is?

Hi, im new to this forum but there is a song i desperately need to find the name of
    First of all i think its a song from the mid to late 80's and i think it was a sad and slow(ish) type of a song and i think it was sung by a guy... now the only problem is i dont know any of the lyrics... the only memory i have of this song is the beat. It had a very cool (and sad) keyboard beat and this is the best way i can describe it;
    I had been trying to find out the name of this song for years but could never explain the keyboard beat im talking about in any way that made sense. Until today where i discovered that the song "The Rhythm of Life" from the musical Sweet Charity has basically the exact beat of the song im looking for, only that the Rhythm of Life has a slightly faster tempo than the song im after.
    I'm new to this forum so im not sure if posting links is allowed but the only way i can explain what i mean is by this youtube video of a school musical production of the Rhythm of Life that someone posted a few years ago. This is the link;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlLR3tUGjao
    During 3:22 to 3:44 is the exact keyboard beat im talking about (its a bit soft so you need to turn the volume up) but at a faster tempo than the song im looking for. The best way to describe the tempo is during points 1:06 to 1:17 of the clip which is the first chorus. So if you imagine the keyboard beat from 3:22 to 3:44 but at the tempo of 1:06 to 1:17 then you will have the exact beat of the song im after.
    I'm sorry that i haven't given much information but if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Any idea what song this is?

I know i haven't supplied much information but im desperate to find this song...

The chorus beat of "The Rhythm of Life" is basically the same beat as the song im trying to find. The chorus in the above youtube version in particular resembles the song im looking for the closest.

The Keyboard beat from 3:22 to 3:44 is the exact beat of the song im after, just at a slightly faster tempo (from what i can remember). The first chorus occurs from 1:06 to 1:17 and that has the exact tempo of the song im after (from what i remember) but it doesn't have the keyboard from the later chorus.

So if you can imagine the keyboard from 3:22 to 3:44 being added to the chorus from 1:06 to 1:17 you will have the exact beat and tempo of the song im after....

Apart from that there isnt much else i can remember about it, i think it was a sad song but i cant recall any of the lyrics, i think it was a male singer but im not 100% certain and from what i think i can remember it was released sometime in the late 80's (maybe mid 80's)

Please help before i lose my mind trying to work this out

When I listened to the keyboard section you mentioned between 3:22 - 3:44 a few times the only thing that this reminded me of [obviously trying to filter out the singing at the same time] was the reggae version of "Wild World" [written by Cat Stevens (now Youseff Islam)] by Maxi Priest.
    The track was relaesed in 1988 so is in the same ball park as the time your thinking....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnAa02bQGHc

Don't know if this helps or worse still muddies the waters even more..
    It's a great track all the same.

Ads

?? Maxi Priest - Wild World (1988) ??
    The song being a reggae cover of the song penned by Cat Stevens in the 70s I think..

It's the only thing that popped into my head listening to the link you posted.

Ads.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sAds View Post
    ?? Maxi Priest - Wild World (1988) ??
    The song being a reggae cover of the song penned by Cat Stevens in the 70s I think..

It's the only thing that popped into my head listening to the link you posted.

Ads.

Thank you for your reply.

When i first started listening to the song you mentioned i thought you had found it for me but its not the song i was thinking of. The problem is that the song im trying to find had a particular beat that i remember, and that that beat occurred during the last minute or so of the song when most artists end their songs by repeating the chorus a few times. While Wild World by Maxi Priest has a similar sounding beat to the song i linked it only occurs during the verse and not during the chorus or the last minute of the song.

At first i thought you found the song im after but i clearly remember the keyboard beat from the youtube link i posted during 3:22 to 3:44 of that video being clearly present and quite dominant in the song im after and that keyboard sound wasn't in Wild World

Thank you for the first reply to my thread and after you posted the reply i went scouring the net for similar songs and artists to the answer you offered but had no luck if anyone has any idea whatsoever, even if it may not be right please post it as i'm desperate to find this song.

You are right, not much information at all lol. Wild stabs in the dark is about all we can do I think.

So try checking out some of The The from Soul Mining. Maybe Perfect, This is The Day or Uncertain Smile. Let's see if we can at least get to the right genre first

Cheers and good luck.
    Boom! Boom!
    Waaahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    You are right, not much information at all lol. Wild stabs in the dark is about all we can do I think.

So try checking out some of The The from Soul Mining. Maybe Perfect, This is The Day or Uncertain Smile. Let's see if we can at least get to the right genre first

Cheers and good luck.

Thank you Bogie for you reply.

I'm more than happy to get "wild stabs in the dark" as i know there isn't much info to go on, unfortunately the songs you suggested are not right. I can see why you would suggest them as most of them had a very noticeable keyboard beat but its not like the song im after.

The genre isn't right with the group "The The". I mentioned it a little in my first post that the song im after is a bit slow(ish) and from what i can remember has a sad tone to it. I've been listening to every "80's Sad songs compilation" that i can find but there has been no success

Please feel free to keep offering "Wild stabs in the dark" as i do extended "similar songs/artists" searches to see if i can come across it by chance.

Question Re: Any idea what song this is?

it's not 'Hazard' by Richard Marks is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEQ3Jkwr2FA

Well, there has been a bit of a "complicated" development...

First of all one of the members on this forum who may not want to be named sent me a private message with some suggestions that didn't turn out right but he mentioned that the song im after could be a song that was only a local hit and so could be hard for most people in other countries to know. There is a chance that it was local only, i can't be certain if it was a "big" hit or only a "small" hit. All i know is none of the major "obvious" hits that i've come across are right.

Now for the complicated development... while randomly searching youtube for 80's music compilations i have come across a song that may or may not be the song im after, it kinda has the beat i was looking for and the last minute or so of the song repeats that beat (as the chorus being repeated) however i cant work out if it is the right song or not...

The song in question is "Fantasy" by Black Box. this is a link to the version in particular;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-5ACpAOoPs

I can't work out if its right though, which makes no sense... Can anyone listen to this song, especially the last 60 seconds or so and tell me if this sounds right when you compare it to my earlier posts descriptions of the song i was looking for and also compare it to the "Rhythm of Life" video that i first posted (but remember i said the beat of Rhythm of life was a bit faster than the song i was thinking of).

I know its a lot to ask but i am so desperate to find this exact song im thinking of and while "Fantasy" sounds similar to me im not sure its right. The year it was released (while close) isn't in the 80's (it was released in 1990) and im almost 100% certain the song im after was released in the mid to late 80's. The chorus of Earth Wind and Fire's original version of "Fantasy" also sounds very similar but that was made in the 70's.

So the most important part of this post is with the idea that "Fantasy" by Black Box sounds similar to the song im after can this new information help to uncover the correct song im after? Can anyone offer any other suggestions of what the song im after could be considering the previous info i've given and this new info?

Disambiguate,

My next suggestion, and I'm only going on the fact that I see your an Aussie, is "Icehouse - Crazy" [perhaps an obvious suggestion I know!] - but an AWESOME track never-the-less!!!!

I actually only found this song again myself about a year ago and remembered how much I loved it but it didn't chart that well in the UK (I think they did better with "Hey Little Girl") but it did do well in the US and a friend of mine in the US reminded me about this track..

The only other thing I can think you could do would be to start posting a list of songs it isn't to eliminate as we go along...

Regards,

Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 80sAds View Post
    Disambiguate,

My next suggestion, and I'm only going on the fact that I see your an Aussie, is "Icehouse - Crazy" [perhaps an obvious suggestion I know!] - but an AWESOME track never-the-less!!!!

I actually only found this song again myself about a year ago and remembered how much I loved it but it didn't chart that well in the UK (I think they did better with "Hey Little Girl") but it did do well in the US and a friend of mine in the US reminded me about this track..

The only other thing I can think you could do would be to start posting a list of songs it isn't to eliminate as we go along...

Regards,

Ads

Thank you for your reply, while it is a nice track it isn't the song im after

That is a good idea you mention, it might help if i post lots of songs it isn't and work from there, but im waiting for a post that i wrote 2 days ago to be moderated. It was a very big post where i was able to uncover a song that could explain a lot of things.

When this post finishes moderation and becomes visible please return here and read it if you can

(im not sure what going on with the moderation of the below post but im going to try and post it again, i think it went into moderation because it had a website link (youtube video) so with this post i took that out)

Well, there has been a bit of a "complicated" development...

First of all one of the members on this forum who may not want to be named sent me a private message with some suggestions that didn't turn out right but he mentioned that the song im after could be a song that was only a local hit and so could be hard for most people in other countries to know. There is a chance that it was local only, i can't be certain if it was a "big" hit or only a "small" hit. All i know is none of the major "obvious" hits that i've come across are right.

Now for the complicated development... while randomly searching youtube for 80's music compilations i have come across a song that may or may not be the song im after, it kinda has the beat i was looking for and the last minute or so of the song repeats that beat (as the chorus being repeated) however i cant work out if it is the right song or not...

The song in question is "Fantasy" by Black Box.

(note: i had a youtube link to a version of their song here, it ended with "watch?v=u-5ACpAOoPs" if you want to see it)

I can't work out if its right though, which makes no sense... Can anyone listen to this song, especially the last 60 seconds or so and tell me if this sounds right when you compare it to my earlier posts descriptions of the song i was looking for and also compare it to the "Rhythm of Life" video that i first posted (but remember i said the beat of Rhythm of life was a bit faster than the song i was thinking of).

I know its a lot to ask but i am so desperate to find this exact song im thinking of and while "Fantasy" sounds similar to me im not sure its right. The year it was released (while close) isn't in the 80's (it was released in 1990) and im almost 100% certain the song im after was released in the mid to late 80's. The chorus of Earth Wind and Fire's original version of "Fantasy" also sounds very similar but that was made in the 70's.

So the most important part of this post is with the idea that "Fantasy" by Black Box sounds similar to the song im after can this new information help to uncover the correct song im after? Can anyone offer any other suggestions of what the song im after could be considering the previous info i've given and this new info?

Well, i must confess I think I understand less now than after the first post

Not sure at all what genre to consider or male/female vocals, etc. Dance tracks? Synth pop? Pop ballads?

Anyway, here is a great little song and really rare. Someone kindly posted on youtube. The same Steve Harley that released Make Me Smile in the 70s. This particular track was a small alternative hit in Canada while I was there in the mid 80s. Maybe was in Aus too. If not, at least you get to listen to a rare and decent track from long, long ago. Good luck with the hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbbNVWfbXEM
    Boom! Boom!
    Waaahahahahaha!

Any idea about this song ?

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. i'm looking for a song from the early/mid 80's, dont remember the name of the artist/group, but the first line of the lyric goes like " see the sunshine in my eyes.......its for you-its for you-its for you" can anyone gimmie a clue?

Re: Any idea about this song ?

Quote Originally Posted by frankpilli View Post
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum. i'm looking for a song from the early/mid 80's, dont remember the name of the artist/group, but the first line of the lyric goes like " see the sunshine in my eyes.......its for you-its for you-its for you" can anyone gimmie a clue?
    male or female singer ?
    Pop, Disco, Rock - what style is the song ?

The closest thing I can think of, without any more information is
    Donna Summer's - I'm Free

Re: Any idea about this song ?

Quote Originally Posted by maxim9691 View Post
    male or female singer ?
    Pop, Disco, Rock - what style is the song ?
    The closest thing I can think of, without any more information is
    Donna Summer's - I'm Free
    Female singer and it may be Pop and definitely not Donna Summer's i'm free

Welcome to the site Frank!

I wish you luck finding this gem

Quote Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
    Welcome to the site Frank!
    I wish you luck finding this gem
    Thanx dude

For the first part of this topic I wonder if it was Peter Framptons - Baby I Love Your Way sounds a lot like Wild World
    Last edited by MikeySwede; 7-09-10 at 02:22 PM. Reason: linnk didnīt work

Thread Information