Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Bands that ruined 80's Hair Metal

80s Forum: Bands that ruined 80's Hair Metal

Bands that ruined 80's Hair Metal

Cool forum. My friend Matt and I grew up in the 80s and we have a podcast where we make lists of topics, many of them 80s related. We have one on the bands that ruined 80s hair metal and brought on grunge (think Winger . You can find the podcast if you are interested at ourlist.podbean.com

My top 5 were
    1) Poison
    2) Winger
    3) Nelson
    4) Warrant
    5) Extreme

What 5 would you blame?

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

Re: Bands that ruined 80's Hair Metal

Mind you, hair metal was my least favorite style of music in the 80's but all the bands you mentioned WERE hair metal. Not sure I understand the question.

Nirvana was the band that killed it!

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

Those bands were the ones that through horrible songs, bad playing and image issues soured the well and made it possible for a band like Nirvana to expload on the scene.

HEY I liked Winger. :tak: I had a HUGE poster a friend gave me a Kip Winger on my wall.

Never really was a fan of "hair metal" back in the 80s. I was more into New Wave/Punk/Goth back then (still am now). I just recently got into "hair metal" the past ten years or so.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Cyber Sis of Diofan and Chooch
    NOT So Secretly Stalking 80sTrivia
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic
    THAT MODERN ROCK SHOW W/GHOSTY

Quote Originally Posted by zoberrath View Post
    What 5 would you blame?
    None. Oh, and watch what you say around me, because I'm a huge fan of Poison, Winger and Warrant.

I can tell you what killed Hair metal...Simply Put, Generation X-ers (kids of the 90s). Nuff said!

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Diofan View Post
    I can tell you what killed Hair metal...Simply Put, Generation X-ers (kids of the 90s). Nuff said!
    nods to Diofan

Um, Brian, I'm a Gen X-er (on the late side of it) and I don't think they killed hair metal all the way. I think those teeny bopper acts like Hanson, N'Sync and others like them killed hair metal.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Cyber Sis of Diofan and Chooch
    NOT So Secretly Stalking 80sTrivia
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic
    THAT MODERN ROCK SHOW W/GHOSTY

Ummm...Hanson, Nsync and the like are POST-Nirvana

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

Wanna know what killed hair metal? Hair metal itself. The genre had little to do with music and everything to do with image. It was formulated, bloated, and overdone almost immediately. Labels started signing every band that had big hair, animal print clothing and the obligatory power ballad.

Proof of this is the fact that these days hair bands need to all play together in festivals to get anyone to come see them, while traditional metal bands like Priest and Maiden are still selling out arenas on their own.

Timeless music lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Wanna know what killed hair metal? Hair metal itself. The genre had little to do with music and everything to do with image. It was formulated, bloated, and overdone almost immediately. Labels started signing every band that had big hair, animal print clothing and the obligatory power ballad.

Proof of this is the fact that these days hair bands need to all play together in festivals to get anyone to come see them, while traditional metal bands like Priest and Maiden are still selling out arenas on their own.

Timeless music lasts.
    Class dismissed. Once again Pagan nails it.

I actually liked some "hair metal" music, but even at the time I knew it was just shallow, fun crap that wasn't going to last. Grunge was a fad, like disco. It came in like a tsuanmi and swept away everthing in it's path...then it went away again. I think the biggest tragedy of hair metal was that, also like disco, several talented and even well-established acts got caught up in it and played along for awhile.
    nolanbuc - the Commish
    "Hijacking threads and beating dead horses since 2001"

World Fantasy Sports - Official Home of the World Fantasy Football League.

Maybe it's just a perception they put up to make a difference about Hair metal that is stable with a genre which is really evolving to where it's more represented especially in a song by the band.

First none of these bands ruined hair metal. Every genre runs it course in time and nothing lasts forever. I don't agree that Poison ruined the music but I was not a fan of the other 4 mentioned.
    I really cant relate any of these bands to cause of the end of hair Metal.
    If you really think about it then I would say that Guns N Roses caused the beginning of Grunge. Had they stuck together and kept putting out such killer music I think they would have at least kept Grunge at Bay and helped many other Hair metal bands at least get in a few more good years.

Thread Information