Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Ronnie James Dio Passes Away

80s Forum: Ronnie James Dio Passes Away

Ronnie James Dio Passes Away

*From the official Ronnie James Dio website posted by his wife:

Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May.
    Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes
    before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he
    was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have
    all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this
    terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever. Wendy

Re: Ronnie James Dio Passes Away

WHAT??? I wasn't really all that much into Dio, but WOW, WAY too young
    ~~X~~~~X~~
    Nunc scio quid sit amor

~~Resident Urban Cougar-Boo~~
    Joe Elliot, Charlie Hunnam, Wentworth Miller, Kip Winger,Travis Fimmel, Tim McGraw Jon Bon Jovi and Billy Wirth walk into a bar...
    did I forget anyone, girls?

SIT DOWN, BUCKLE IN, HANG ON, SHUT UP
    I will find my inner child and kick his little ass
    Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    |PLAY >|STOP| <<RWD|FFWD>>|RCD|II|STFU!!!|
    You are starting to make sense. Time to up my medications!
    Spay or neuter your animals if you truly love them

We have enough youth--what we need is a fountain of SMART!
    AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE RESOURCE OF UNTAPPED ANGER, now in fashionable PINK
    DO NOT LEAVE ME UNSUPERVISED. If you do, DO NOT LEAVE WITNESSES
    Even BAD kitties get NINE LIVES
    MOMMMMMM...Retro's throwing wombats at me again...
    It's okay dear, they're COMBAT wombats!
    stand there, say nothing...thaaaatttt'ssss better
    80sxchange bad girls club
    trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup
    I can count to potato! I has a SNEAKY...
    Raging bitchkitty
    scared of my own shadow but not afraid of you
    ab astra

He will live forever in my mind RIP RJD
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

This is so sad. I got into his music thanks to our own Dio fan, Brian. RIP Dio.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Cyber Sis of Diofan and Chooch
    NOT So Secretly Stalking 80sTrivia
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic
    THAT MODERN ROCK SHOW W/GHOSTY

Dio Has Passed!!!

Re: Dio Has Passed!!!

There is already a thread about this.

http://www.80sxchange.com/forums/sho...ht=Dio,+passed
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic

chooch210 is offline The Eiffel Tower is in England

Oh No Brian is going to be devastated!
    WHOOPTY FREAKIN DOO!
    Proud member of the "OVE" club!
    Fan of djdaffy!
    80'sfanatics little sis!
    Good friends with Molly

Crowbar reserved for Torchwood_fan

Brian was the first person I thought of when I heard the news. I hope he'll be okay. to the xchange Dio fan, Brian.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic

Severely bummed, but not devastated.

It was only a month ago that Dio, 67, spoke about his battle with cancer with the Artisan News Service on the "black carpet" of the Revolver Golden Gods Awards, which took place on April 8 at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. When asked about how he had been feeling since he was diagnosed with the disease late last year, Dio said,
    Well, I feel good and bad at times. It's a long process. Chemotherapy is a... I never realized what a difficult thing it was to go through. It's a real cumulative effect — the more you have, the more it piles up on top and it takes longer and longer to get over it. I find it very difficult to eat. I don't like to eat anyway, so I guess that's OK. But I know I have to. But this makes it very, very hard. But if you're determined to beat it, then you have to go with what you believe is going to beat it for you, and in this case it's that. I go to a great hospital in Houston called M.D. Anderson, which I think is the best hospital in the world, I have the best doctor in the world, Dr. Ajani, who I really trust and I really believe in, so I think I've done all the right things. It makes me feel positive about my life and positive that there is a lot more of it to live.
    Some comments from the Rock/Metal World:
    Scott Ian:
    "Rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio. Horns at half mast. Such a huge loss...

"So many memories of Ronnie. Toured together many times. He always had a kind word and a smile and he LOVED the Yankees.

"In 2004 on the DIO/ANTHRAX tour I would get the Yankee score every inning for Ronnie while he was on stage. He was so into it.

"Saw BLACK SABBATH on the 'Black & Blue' tour [featuring BLACK SABBATH and BLUE ÖYSTER CULT] at Madison Square Garden [in New York City] in 1980. First row center.

"Ronnie was king of the world. Top 3 shows of all time."
    Guitarist Ralph Santolla (OBITUARY, DEICIDE, DEATH, ICED EARTH):
    "There's not a person in metal today that doesn't owe something to Ronnie James Dio. I had the honor to meet him once, and to see him perform many times, including on [1980's] 'Black and Blue' tour [featuring BLACK SABBATH and BLUE ÖYSTER CULT]. He seemed to treat everyone he encountered as an equal, but few are his equals.

"I'll be featuring his music with RAINBOW, DIO and SABBATH on this week's 'The Santollicas' [the new Bogota, Colombia-based radio show hosted by guitarist Santolla and his wife, Svetlana].

"Rest in peace, and God bless you."
    Drummer Mike Portnoy of DREAM THEATER:
    "Rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio... one of the greatest of all time.

"Looks like Dime [late PANTERA guitarist 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott], Randy [Rhoads; late OZZY OSBOURNE guitarist], Cliff [Burton; late METALLICA bassist] and Bonzo [late LED ZEPPELIN drummer John Bonham] just scored the ultimate singer.

"This is one of the saddest days in metal ever."
    JUDAS PRIEST
    "We are filled with great sadness at the terrible news about our friend Ronnie James Dio.

"Our condolences and love go to Wendy [Dio, Ronnie's wife/manager] and Ronnie's family.

"Ronnie was a wonderful man and will be sorely missed."
    TWISTED SISTER:
    "The members of TWISTED SISTER, along with millions of metal fans around the world, mourn the death of our friend Ronnie James Dio. Ronnie not only was a giant in the worldwide metal scene, but he was also one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Beginning in 1983 when we first toured with Ronnie in Canada, and continuing over the last seven years when we played dozens of festivals around the world, Ronnie was one of the most supportive and gracious members of the music community.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Wendy and Ronnie's family."

KISS
    "We mourn the tragic passing of the great Ronnie James Dio. In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him. We will miss him."
    Danny Vaughn of TYKETTO:
    "It's difficult when bad news comes to you from the online news headlines. It's impersonal and it often makes it more difficult to grasp the reality of what has happened. So I'm still shaking my head in denial that Ronnie James Dio is gone. Aside from listening to, and covering, his music for many years, I met Ronnie a couple of times over the years and I'll tell you what everyone else that has ever met him will tell you: He was one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Friendly, engaging, intelligent, gracious, I felt like we had been good friends after five minutes of conversation.

"The first time we met we talked about album artwork and the meanings behind some of his. I had only really been in the big world of touring rock bands for a couple of years at that point and was anxious to learn anything I could from someone like him. Let's face it, nobody had a voice like that. It seemed impossible that a sound so huge and powerful could come out of such a slender frame. So I asked him for any advice about keeping his voice fit. Vocal exercises? Eating and exercise regimens? Prayer?? Lol! He gave me a very gentle smile and looked almost embarrassed when he answered me and said, 'I gotta be honest with you, I don't know. I just walk out on stage and the voice is there.' And that has turned out to be a statement that I never forgot and have used again and again as I've walked out on stage.

"I saw Dio live not too long ago and he was still belting it out, all the songs I know and love so well, in the original keys. I was as stunned then as I was when I saw the 'Holy Diver' and 'Last In Line' tours.

"I don't know why, but it really hurts that he's gone.

"My thoughts go out to Wendy Dio, whom I have not had the pleasure of meeting. I know she will take some comfort in the fact that Ronnie was one of the best-loved people in music."

MEGADETH drummer Shawn Drover
    "I am at an absolute loss right now upon hearing that Ronnie has passed away. I had the pleasure of touring both Canada and America in 2007 when MEGADETH toured with HEAVEN & HELL (BLACK SABBATH in my eyes) and I swear to you he is one of the nicest human beings I have ever met, period. Many a night on that tour, Glen [Drover, then-MEGADETH guitarist] and myself would have amazing conversations with Ronnie about his career, etc. fully knowing he had probably told these stories 10,000 times to people and yet he answered every question I had with a big smile. I can recall so many times making eye contact with Glen sharing the exact same thought: 'Dude, I can't believe we are hanging with RONNIE JAMES DIO!!!!!'

"If you are lucky enough in your lifetime to actually meet one of your idols (let alone tour with them) and they turn out to be even nicer than you could have envisioned, that is something you would truly treasure. Lucky for me, I will cherish those memories forever."
    I don't think I could say anymore that what these people said! Ronnie fought a good fight...He had the same mental frame of mind dealing with cancer as Actor Patrick Swayze. Both kept a positive outlook right to the end.

Rest in Peace Ronnie. You will be missed.

On a related note, does this mean Daffy will do a Tribute to Dio on Hott80s tomorrow?????

Keeper of the *New* 80sxchange Family Album
    My Facebook Profile
    Webmaster: DJ Daffy's Hott 80s website
    Host/DJ: Renegade Retro's Friday Night Flight something for everyone to enjoy!

My Facebook Profile

I was too young to really appreciate Ronny James Dio's talent until my uncle introduced me to RJD's solo work in the early 80's. He was a powerful singer and a versatile frontman, but I think he'll be remembered most for his brilliant, insightful, though-provoking lyrics.

The bard of Metal is silenced. RIP, Ronny.
    nolanbuc - the Commish
    "Hijacking threads and beating dead horses since 2001"

World Fantasy Sports - Official Home of the World Fantasy Football League.

After listening to his stuff today I would compare him with singers like Freddie Mercury and Roger Daltrey. Very powerful and strong voices. Gonna miss his music. I'm still shocked how old he was. He was my Mom's age. I swore he was at least in his mid/late 50s.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

Very sad He was the king of heavy metal vocals!

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

In my entire life, the only celebrity I ever shed a tear for was George Carlin.

Last night, I wept like a baby. I can't even begin to tell you the impact that man had on me. I posted this on another board, I'll repost here:

I'm completely devastated.

I don't want this to sound overly corny, but in 1976 a very impressionable teenager just starting his musical career heard an album called Rainbow Rising, and it formed the basis in which he'd look at melody and lyric writing throughout his entire career.

34 years later, I still looked up to the shortest man in rock & roll.

R.I.P. Ronnie. There will never be another like you. Your voice, your class, your magick...they can never be duplicated or replaced.

Long Live Rock & Roll and long live Ronnie James Dio.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Long Live Rock & Roll and long live Ronnie James Dio.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Without a doubt, the worst day in metal history as far as i'm concerned

You have a magical way with words Pagan... Well said!

My Facebook Profile

Here is RJD's final hours as told by Geezer Butler:

http://www.bravewords.com/news/139167

To give folks an Idea of Ronnie James Dio's Musical history, I ran through my "Dio library" and created a Mix of Dio songs from 1958 to 1983. A Single song from each band he was in during that period (that I have on MP3 anyway). The songs on the mix are as follows:

Year | Band | Song Name
    1958 | Ronnie & The Redcaps | An Angel Is Missing
    1962 | Ronnie & The Prophets | Love Pains
    1972 | Elf | Hoochie Coochie Woman
    1978 | Rainbow | Gates Of Babylon
    1981 | Black Sabbath | The Mob Rules
    1983 | Dio | Holy Diver

The file is intensely HUGE (33 MB) I had to Zip it to upload it. It's a single MP3 in the Zip. Give it a listen! (Not recommended for Dial-up users as it would take forever to download) Winzip 9.0 or greater needed as it's an enhanced Deflate Zip file.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/micwmm4ttyv/dio.zip

My Facebook Profile

Thread Information