Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Runaways Movie

80s Forum: Runaways Movie

Thread: Runaways Movie

Runaways Movie

I just watched the Runaways last night, with Dakato Fanning as Chrie Currie and Kristin Stewart as Joan Jett.

The good, it was really gritty and sleazy, you see what these kids went through from familiy problems to creepy promotors, agents, and being female teenagers in a male dominated industry on tour . It doesn't paint a rosy picture you almost feel dirty after the movie. Kristin Stewart does a remarkable job as Joan Jett , she even moves like her

The bad, is 1) the movie takes liberties, As Jackie Fox would not sell her rights they make up a fictional bass player named Jackie, Lita Ford's (who also had nothing ot do with the movie) character had a very limited role as did Sandy west. The movie is misleading as it's not about the Runaways, it's about the early years of Cherie Currie and Joan Jett. The time frame is also mised up . The movie makes it look like Curie basically quits after the first year and the runaways disappear. It doean't mention anything about there other members.

Overall I liked the movie, I preferred the documentry, I saw a few years ago better, I wish it was move accurate and went through all the band but it was worth watching (especially if your a Runaways Fan - which I'm not really) .
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Re: Runaways Movie

We are in the midst of a huge rash of trash for movies. Remakes of "The Dukes of Hazzard", "Miami Vice", "The A Team" and others. We have little snots sampling 80s songs and ruining them, or covering them abysmally. Now stuff like this, the pseudo-autobiography. I think kids are reviving the 80s with fashion and music and such and I love to see it, but there's a huge gap between how it REALLY was and the faint copy.

Yeah, I need caffeine right now, I has a grumpy
    ~~X~~~~X~~
    Nunc scio quid sit amor

~~Resident Urban Cougar-Boo~~
    Joe Elliot, Charlie Hunnam, Wentworth Miller, Kip Winger,Travis Fimmel, Tim McGraw Jon Bon Jovi and Billy Wirth walk into a bar...
    did I forget anyone, girls?

SIT DOWN, BUCKLE IN, HANG ON, SHUT UP
    I will find my inner child and kick his little ass
    Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    |PLAY >|STOP| <<RWD|FFWD>>|RCD|II|STFU!!!|
    You are starting to make sense. Time to up my medications!
    Spay or neuter your animals if you truly love them

We have enough youth--what we need is a fountain of SMART!
    AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE RESOURCE OF UNTAPPED ANGER, now in fashionable PINK
    DO NOT LEAVE ME UNSUPERVISED. If you do, DO NOT LEAVE WITNESSES
    Even BAD kitties get NINE LIVES
    MOMMMMMM...Retro's throwing wombats at me again...
    It's okay dear, they're COMBAT wombats!
    stand there, say nothing...thaaaatttt'ssss better
    80sxchange bad girls club
    trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup
    I can count to potato! I has a SNEAKY...
    Raging bitchkitty
    scared of my own shadow but not afraid of you
    ab astra

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyBlue View Post
    We are in the midst of a huge rash of trash for movies. Remakes of "The Dukes of Hazzard", "Miami Vice", "The A Team" and others. We have little snots sampling 80s songs and ruining them, or covering them abysmally. Now stuff like this, the pseudo-autobiography. I think kids are reviving the 80s with fashion and music and such and I love to see it, but there's a huge gap between how it REALLY was and the faint copy.
    i so agree with you brandy.. some of these movies are just not worth seeing. i would really love to see the runaways, but if it is only covering just so much and not all of it, why go? would love to see the documentary. i might just have to look that up.

i have heard that the "new karate kid" is a good movie because it took a different approach. plus i love jackie chan.

I just put The Runaways in my netflix que won't get it until July.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandyBlue View Post
    Yeah, I need caffeine right now, I has a grumpy
    Sometimes they get it right. The Transformer movies and Battlestar Galactica were good.
    Yes,i'm a new world samurai and a redneck none the less

I saw it the first weekend it was out. I really didn't know what to expect but Cal summed it up in the fact you feel dirty after watching it.

I would have to agree that it's basically showing Joan and Cherie growing up though it focused more on Cherie when I would have liked to have learned more about Joan.

I hated KStew as Joan but I think it's because I'm so used to seeing her play Bella and many of the mannerisms in Twilight carried over to this movie. I really don't know how Joan was growing up so maybe she really did nail her character.

I had hoped to see more of Lita but knew she wasn't on board with this at all.

Oh and yeah, it really does make it seem like Cherie quit after the first year, too, which I knew wasn't how it went. I don't know a ton about this band, I didn't even know they existed until I was already buying Lita Ford's solo stuff.

Cal, could you give us more information on the documentary you saw? I'd like to see if I could find it.
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

The documentry is called Edgeplay, it's was directed by Vicky Blue Tischler (one of the later Runaways). Joan Jett is not in it, but lots of Cherie and Lita Ford , shows old footage and newer interviews .

you can download it on any of torrents out there, I found my copy on www.isohunt.com
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Found it on Netflix and am watching it now. It's a bummer Joan isn't in it. I wonder why. Still a lot more interesting than the film.
    Never seen without a tube of lip gloss

Thread Information