Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

80s Television. Has it improved?

80s Forum: 80s Television. Has it improved?

View Poll Results: Has television improved since the 80s?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 10.00%
  • In some ways

5 50.00%
  • No better, no worse

1 10.00%
  • No

3 30.00%
    Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange

80s Television. Has it improved?

Already pretty much covered this in a previous thread, but thought it would be cool to do some polls.

How is television now compared to the 80s. Has it improved?

What are your favorite shows that are currently on television now?

…………………………………………

For me I think television has improved vastly since the 80s. I think the key advantage is that today we get shows with continuing story lines, which really draw you back each week to watch it again. Apart from soaps and mini series, we got very little of that back in the 80s. The only example I can think of back then that had a continued story line was Wise Guy and even that was late 80s. Also I think there is a lot more freedom now when it comes to ideas. These days we can get TV shows where the heroes are drug manufacturers and members of the mafia and where even flesh eating zombies can be on our screens each week.

Back in the 80s it was serials with little in the way of links between episodes, unless it was a 2 parter. I find it hard to get into shows like that now and my personal all-time favorites I had 10 years ago are no longer my all-time favorites.

My favourite shows at present are:
    The Walking Dead
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Survivor

Re: 80s Television. Has it improved?

In Some way, I don't watch a lot of regular Tv, but the cable networks Tv Series like Game of throne, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empires, The Borgais are so much better than what was on in the 80's.

I watched more Tv back in the 80's but I think that was because I didn't have a computer

you also get a better selection of Sports with dedicated sports channels and consant news, rarely unless a major event could you watch a breaking event take place, and then they would have to cut into your regularely scheduled programming
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

djdaffy1227 is offline available on LP, CD and Cassette

Being a game show and sitcom fan I say NO NO NO!

you're dispicable!
    Did you get that thing I sent ya?
    I'm not who I was.
    founding father of the ove club

chooch210 is offline The Eiffel Tower is in England

Too much reality crap
    WHOOPTY FREAKIN DOO!
    Proud member of the "OVE" club!
    Fan of djdaffy!
    80'sfanatics little sis!
    Good friends with Molly

Crowbar reserved for Torchwood_fan

Couldn't truly judge as I don't really watch TV... haven't in years aside from occasional sports, but from what I have seen, I'd say 80s were better... even the 90s had some good stuff I enjoyed back then. As Chooch noted, too much reality crap... that seems to be all I ever hear about and it's all the same stuff. If I wanna watch a reality show, I'll go out and live the reality and see if for myself.

I voted "in some ways" because Recker has a point - I was a BIG fan of 24... That being said - I used to watch television in the 80s and 90s. I don't anymore...

Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post

I watched more Tv back in the 80's but I think that was because I didn't have a computer
    Good point. I remember watching every action/detective show on TV back in the 80s, but now I only watch a few shows and spend a lot of time on the computer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by djdaffy1227 View Post
    Being a game show and sitcom fan I say NO NO NO!
    Yeah, those seem to be a thing of the past. All we have now as far as game shows are concerned here is "Who wants to be a Millionaire" and an Australian show called "Deal or No Deal" which has the most irritating presenter I've seen on TV since Tom Bergeron.

I think in some cases TV has gotten better. There are a lot of good dramas out there. But I have to agree with chooch, too many dang reality shows out there. I do watch the competition shows like MasterChef and Chopped, but I can't stand Jersey Shore or Teen Mom. And I don't watch too many sitcoms now, except for New Girl and sometimes Modern Family. Give me Doctor Who and Torchwood, and I'm a happy camper.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I don't watch TV on TV that much anymore. I am a Netflix and Hulu fan. Plus I have this app called Justin.TV and I watch a lot of shows on there.
    Molly

My Twitter
    My FriendFeed
    My Facebook
    Cyber Sis of Diofan and Chooch
    NOT So Secretly Stalking 80sTrivia
    Goth Music Fan
    Torchwood Fanatic
    THAT MODERN ROCK SHOW W/GHOSTY

Television is a lot more graphic and a bit older than it was in the 80s, but in my opinion you can't beat some of the 80s classic shows. I was a kid in the 80s, so I pretty much thing of this period as shows like Fraggle Rock. I don't know any kids show now that beats that one. Makes me feel bad for kids nowadays who aspire to be doctors rather than great explorers that are afraid of trash heaps. Ah, the innocent days.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Today's comedies don't seem to have the same cheese factor as some of the 80's sitcoms (though there is certainly a place for those guilty pleasures). However, as a collective whole I would say no. There are way too many commercials in today's television. It hurts the flow of a show and there is very limited camera time. Another problem is the insane amount of reality television shows. They are cheaper to make from what I understand, but most of them aren't really drenched in reality. I have found myself watching less and less television. When I do watch something it is usually an old 80's rerun or a really old movie.
    Hard rock and metal forever.

Thread Information