Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Back from the dead!

80s Forum: Back from the dead!

Back from the dead!

Hey all, I'm back after what must be a 10 year hiatus. Wonder if they're any active members from back then?

Loads have changed since 2003 but I'm still living in the beloved decade and are currently involved a lot of music making (80s styled obviously)
    check my soundcloud :
    https://soundcloud.com/kbeesmusic

Apart from that, I'm still a black music connoisseur as well as a movie buff!
    About time I got back here. I'm glad to see the forum has survived this long
    Open Up The Door - Too Funky In Here!

Recker is offline Reminiscing about the 80s... xchange

Re: Back from the dead!

Hi K-Bee! Good to see you. Not much going on here anymore. I come in once and a while just for old time's sake. Most of us keep in contact via Facebook these days.

Yep, all quiet now. We kinda forgot about this place.
    Was your nick K-Bee in 2003 as well?
    I'm a-happy Xchanger (the only one left )

Making Prefab Sprouter even more cheerful by stalking him.
    If Chasey moves even closer I can stalk him for real!
    Ultravox Lovin' Sista of Torchwood Fan

I'm still here, too, of course. It would be nice to get "the forum" back up and running some day. :|

Thanks guys. Since visiting after my hiatus, I realized that it's pretty much dead around here. Sadly, the forum platform isn't what it used to be since most people has relocated to facebook and other places. Damn shame if you ask me, as the searchable and (let's be honest) more more discussion based message board idea is far better than the self absorbing "me, me, me!" type facebook. (I have a profile too though )

Blitzkid,
    yes, my nick has been the same since I joined my first forum way back in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Bee View Post
    Thanks guys. Since visiting after my hiatus, I realized that it's pretty much dead around here. Sadly, the forum platform isn't what it used to be since most people has relocated to facebook and other places. Damn shame if you ask me, as the searchable and (let's be honest) more more discussion based message board idea is far better than the self absorbing "me, me, me!" type facebook. (I have a profile too though )

Blitzkid,
    yes, my nick has been the same since I joined my first forum way back in 2000.
    I realize that Facebook is great because all your friends and family are there - and since you're already using it - might as well talk about the 80s. But good luck searching for information or having a conversation that lasts longer than a few days at most. That's what forums are for. There's an archived history that's easy to pull up and add to if you want...

Pretty much what Sal said. I too have a Facebook page, but use it very little. If you want to tell someone about what you ate for dinner, it's great for that. But if you're wanting to have deep, lasting discussion on any subject really, then the forum is always going to be the go to means to do so. Perhaps it's more the result of the events of life that bring the slow death of forums. RetroJunk was the same way... but members there would attribute that to a lack of attention on the part of it's owner than anything else. That, and the horrible redesign of the site.

Precisely! Facebook is a very dynamic media and you can't search and get back to topics you have renewed interest in (unless you want to scroll for hours). This is why the forum platform is far superior and really deserves to prevail. It's all about lasting value for me.
    But if you're wanting to have deep, lasting discussion on any subject really, then the forum is always going to be the go to means to do so
    And maybe that's the problem. In a world of reality TV and self obsession, people are really getting dumber by the minutes. Lasting discussions seem to be a thing of the past outside the geeky or academic circles. The social media play a huge role in that!
    I'll do my best to hang around the Xchange! If we all chip in, this place won't lie completely dormant.

Yeah that's what I despise most about today's tech. Too much focus on "micro" this and that. Everything has to be short and sweet, and our attention spans can't handle much more than that. Our faces are buried in our phones 24/7. It looks so ridiculous. Sometimes I catch myself doing it and just stop and put it away. But the point being we have little time for anything besides our social media activity.

Well I'm not going anywhere. So let's see who comes around and STICKS around...

There are some forums left and doing very well. But they're usually about very specific subjects often of a technical matter. I use a few music production forums. That said, the more generally based boards seem to be a thing of the past. Quite sad.

I think there is a plus side, in that the amount of trolls/disinterested members has dwindled as well (forums in general), leaving more committed members to the better conversations.

Very true. Sadly, committed members are a rare breed these days. Here's hoping for a resurrection :-)

Thread Information