Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Cinderella

80s Forum: Cinderella

Thread: Cinderella

Post Cinderella

Cinderella was one of the few bands to start their career in the glam metal era of the mid-80s, and last well into the grungy 90s. Their appeal was a combination of exceptional musicianship (both live and on record) and ear-catching songs. While at the time of the first album their appearance made some dismiss them as just another short-lived glam-metal "MTV hair band", they managed to avoid the pitfalls of the rocker's lifestyle to gradually evolve into the bluesy, melodic rock outfit we know and love.

The classic Cinderella lineup started with Tom Keifer and Eric Brittingham, both of Philadelphia, later adding New Jersey native Jeff LaBar, and Binghamton, NY-born drummer Fred Coury. All had been in several different bands prior to getting together in Cinderella. After playing on the second album, keyboard player Rick Criniti toured with Cinderella as an unseen "secret weapon". The band was "discovered" by Jon Bon Jovi, who later made a cameo appearance in the "Somebody Save Me" video. Keifer, a very prolific songsmith, wrote most of the group's material. His wife Emily, a graphic artist, designed the band's logo.

To support the first two albums, Cinderella toured as opening act for bands such as Bon Jovi, AC/DC, David Lee Roth, and Judas Priest. But after the second album, "Long Cold Winter" was released, they became headliners on the strength of it's platinum sales. The videos from both albums were in high rotation on MTV also.

With the third album "Heartbreak Station", Cinderella evolved into an even bluesier sound, using more slide guitar work as well as a saxophone. They also used a full orchestra on some songs, most notably on "HeartBreak Station", where Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones conducted the string section. The album also marked the first "political comment" songs from the band, which spoke out against music censorship.

By 1993, Cinderella's career had been slowed by several events. Tom Keifer had developed nodules on his vocal cords, and curing the condition required surgery, rest, and vocal therapy. Fred Coury left the band to join Arcade, and was replaced by Kevin Valentine. Also, Tom Keifer's mother passed away, and the song "Hard To Find The Words" is dedicated to her. After drummer Valentine left the band during recording of "Still Climbing", he was replaced by Ray Brinker. After several remixes, "Still Climbing" was released in 1994.

In contrast to their support of Cinderella's three previous albums, this time MTV considered the band to be out-of-date '80s hard rock. The MTV attitude towards Cinderella videos was "Don't bother making them, because we won't play them". In spite of this, those fortunate enough to see the band on tour for "Still Climbing" could see that the guys had lost none of their musical edge.

After breaking up in 1995, Tom and Ray worked together on Tom's solo material and Eric had been writing &demoing with Marshall Coleman. Jeff had not been mentioned in music news, and Fred Coury continued to be a touring drummer for various bands, as well as maintaining his Nashville recording studio.

After a benefit concert at RT's nightclub in New Jersey on 11/10/96 which reunited the four core band members, the Cinderella Greatest Hits CD "Once Upon A...." was released on 5/20/97. This CD contains a collection of Cinderella's greatest hits, a cover of Janis Joplin's "Move Over" (previously released), and a new song "War Stories".

Cinderella started the successful "Unfinished Business" tour of the U.S. on March 10th 1998. While the tour was interrupted for a couple of months while Tom Keifer recovered from throat surgery, they soon were back on tour and kicking ass live! Besides the four core band members, the touring band also includes keyboardist Charlie Lawrence. See the Tour Dates Page for tour dates, and the Show Reviews Page for fan's reviews of Cinderella shows. A live CD, recorded in 1991, was being sold at concerts and is available on the merchandise pages on this site.

Cinderella's has released a new live album (recorded on the "Unfinished Business" tour) called "Live At The Key Club" recorded in Los Angeles' Key Club. A new studio CD is currently in the works, due for release next year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This bio was composed by the author from information in various articles from her scrapbook. If any errors appear, please bring them to her attention via e-mail: amazon1@ix.netcom.com. If you wish to use this bio on your site, please give credit to the author, amazon1@ix.netcom.com.

Copyright Amazon 1999

---------------------------------------------

I know Blazie already knows all this info

I found a list of 80's metal bands Bio's Thought I would post some.

Sorry I hit poll by mistake

Caligula's bestest friend.
    Hey Triv, you can dance..for inspiration..
    Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Secretly admiring Retrobaby....shhh
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

~Fight over the clouds, over earth, over canyon
    They fight for our love, for our blood, over heaven,
    Fight over love, over sun,
    over nothing, they fight till they die,
    and for what? For their lives ending.~

Cool

Originally posted by topcat1970:
    .....and Binghamton, NY-born drummer Fred Coury.
    Binghamton, NY is only about 2 hours south of me. I saw them open for Bon Jovi in '87 in Syracuse, NY.......awesome show.

Great Bio topcat

Miss you Grandma Ruth
    R.I.P. Scott a.k.a. "Bear" ~ 1962-2006 Miss ya buddy
    Please don't drive drunk.... The life you lose may not be yours!
    One Nation Under GOD indivisible with liberty and justice for all
    ".....Solitaire, Alone I stand, It's all so clear, impressions you falsely take command.
    I'm not like you, there's more than meets the eye in me.......I'm an outcast....." Lizzy Borden - Outcast
    "Now you might take offense to the words like f.uck or shit, but you f.uckin' don't have the right to discriminate me for saying it'' - Anthrax - Starting up a posse
    Official stalker of Jazzmyn ......Come and get some Not Man Lovin'

One of my all time fave hair bands! I love the album "Night Songs".

Oh Man! another great hair band! I loved Cinderella!

You're on a tear with these band bios, TC! Very cool!!
    Wally

http://BenatarFanClub.com The Official Fanclub

Originally posted by Not Man:
    <STRONG>

Binghamton, NY is only about 2 hours south of me. I saw them open for Bon Jovi in '87 in Syracuse, NY.......awesome show.

Great Bio topcat </STRONG>
    Well, I saw the same concert tour here in Portland, OR! It was great!!!!!!

Shakey is offline Content to be in the Matrix!

Saw Cinderella in concert. Thought they put on a great show.
    - Shakey

"If I'm here and you're here, then doesn't that make it our time? - Jeff Spicoli, 1982

Well, going to high school just north of Philly from 84-88 I was fortunate enough to see this TERRIFIC band live several times before NIGHT SONGS was released. On a few occasions I was even able to sit and talk to both Tom Keifer and Fred Coury. Both very nice very polite fellows. I was psyched when I heard they were touring with POison last year, and to me, they blew poison away! Best show I have seen from a ROCK band in quite some time.
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government" - Thomas Jefferson.

I don't know how I missed it the first time TC, but it just dawned on me that Cinderella's drummer after '93, Ray Brinker has been Pat Benatar's drummer since '96. I wonder when he left Cinderella. I'll have to ask him that next time I see him.
    Wally

http://BenatarFanClub.com The Official Fanclub

Originally posted by Sarg:
    it just dawned on me that Cinderella's drummer after '93, Ray Brinker has been Pat Benatar's drummer since '96
    And you call your self a fan?! Shame on you! Now get to your room, you are grounded for a week! LMAO!!

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

Am I grounded too? lol
    -----Officially lost in the 80's with and Stalking the redhead beauty, Christine -----
    | Official Juicey love machine for Mrs. Robinson |
    ||OPC's Twisted Friend in humor||
    ~~Son of the Wonderful, Pam ~~
    /=\ Angel of a Brother to Sheibub and TGND /=\
    *_* Brother in sin and diabolical buddy to Miss Shortie blonde *_*
    "Live free or die!"
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but, whips and chains excite me!"

----The Anti Fashionable-Patriot----

"What is life, but hunger and pain?" - Heathcliff (From Wuthering heights)

*Personally going to Hell in a Handbasket*

Originally posted by Ted Nugent:
    <STRONG>Am I grounded too? lol</STRONG>
    I you keep asking me, you will be grounded for another week mister! LOL

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

Think about what you just said. lol The word "Grounded" is dirty. lol Naughty tc!
    -----Officially lost in the 80's with and Stalking the redhead beauty, Christine -----
    "Live free or die!"

Originally posted by Ted Nugent:
    <STRONG>Think about what you just said. lol The word "Grounded" is dirty. lol Naughty tc! </STRONG>
    SHUT UUUPPPP!!! LOL

Stalkee of chasey.
    One of DJ's favorites
    Mischief brewer with TX

MY SPACE
    Facebook

Originally posted by topcat1970:
    <STRONG>

SHUT UUUPPPP!!! LOL</STRONG>

You did it again! lol
    "Live free or die!"

Re: Cinderella

One of the few bands that were lumped in with "Hair Metal" (I still hate that term!) that also got respect from hardcore Metalheads (IE: Maiden & Priest rockers). I liked "Night Songs" the best with some of the best cuts being:

"Somebody Save Me" &

"Nobody's Fool".

Didn't care much for "Shake Me" as it strikes me as a rip off of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long".
    Andrés Segovia (1893-1987)

Cyber Brother of SouthernImage Sicilian Cyber Brother of Annette
    "Smelly Sticker" Cyber Brother of Punky Power

Cyber Brother of BlackOyster
    jen*'s "King Of The Shovel" Brother
    Completely awestruck by my incredible keriberri!!!

Thumbs up Re: Cinderella

One of my favorite bands of the 80s! They, to me, were so much more than a "hair band." They had a great blues base rock sound. From the moment I picked up "Night Songs" back in 86 I was hooked. Glad to see a bio on them

Thread Information