Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Childhood Stories - Page 3

80s Forum: Childhood Stories
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    now that's a thought...

Are you there God it's me Margrette---Judy Blume
    V.C. Andrews (Still have the Flower in the Attic Series)
    Encyclpedia Brown
    Hardy Boys
    Nancy Drew Mysteries

Hey Bogie, I *loved* the Famous Five and Secret Seven.
    I was also into the Mallory Towers series and the one about the O'Sullivan twins (Pat and Isabel) .

Then, of course, there was Anne of Green Gables. It's amazing how many languages she was translated into. I've had people from Poand and Hungary sing its praises.

I also read Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume and Norma Klein, who no one seems to have heard of for some reason.

When I was really little, there was this French series about a girl called Martine having all these adventures. My parents used to read those to me all the time.

Maybe the reason kids don't read that much these days is because their parents don't read to them as much as ours did? Then again, that probably has nothing to do with it.
    "Some people get lucky, he didn't."

Originally posted by BrandyBlue
    "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit"
    "There's a Bat in Bunk Five"
    Yay! Brandy, you're the only other person I know who remembers there was a sequel to "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit."

I have the same favorites as many of you...

Beverly Cleary, esp. Ramona

Judy Blume - "Starring Sally J. Friedman as Herself" was my favorite

Walter Farley - "The Black Stallion and the Girl" I need to find another copy of this one, I can't believe I gave it away.

Marguerite Henry - "King of the Wind"

Besides the classics above, any horse book I could get my paws on. Jean Slaughter Doty was my favorite author of such... "Summer Pony," etc.

L.M. Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables series... though I didn't start reading them until the movies came out, when I was in 7th grade. I still reread the entire series at least once a year.

Laura Ingalls Wilder - Little House series... again, I reread these almost every year.

Pamela Dean- "The Secret Country". I just found the two sequels this year.

Meredith Ann Pierce - "The Darkangel" trilogy.

There were also two kind of similar series I don't remember that much about... about girls named Anastasia and Desdemona. Anyone else remember?

My favorite "young adult" novel is "Golden Girl" by Nancy Tilly. I'm still looking for a copy of that, too.

Picture books: "It Could Be Worse" ... I don't remember the author's name, but they have a copy in my doctor's office waiting room so I'll get back to you on that, LOL.
    Mary
    Jelly shoe-wearin', Jolt-drinking, cartoon mama

OMG, I loved Ramona up until I was like in 7th grade. LOL. There was a new Ramona book released a few years ago I think. Think it was called Ramona's World.

I used to read WINNIE THE POOH,CAT IN THE HAT,SAM I AM,THE ORANGE SPOT (Which i just read last week ) and more!! (Quite regularly)

I prefer mostly older books of those kind

RetroFanGirl is offline Stuck in the 80's and refusing to budge.

Re: Childhood Stories

Runaway Ralph by Beverly Cleary

Iggie's House by Judy Blume

Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information