Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Motley Crue

80s Forum: Motley Crue

View Poll Results: Motley Crue - Metal or Glam?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glam all the way

5 8.62%
  • Mostly metal and some glam

34 58.62%
  • Metal all the way

0 0%
  • Mostly glam and a little metal

19 32.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motley Crue

Motley Crue

Okay. So what were these guys.. They certainly looked Glam, but I don't think they were. They had a good tough guy act with the motor cycles and severe drug use. They had a very rough image.

So what do you consider them? Glam or Metal? I kinda lean to metal...

I picked mostly metal with some glam. In the "Shout At The Devil" and "Too Fast For Love" days they were more metal. They had the glam look going, but they were hard and heavy. When "Theatre Of Pain" came out, they weren't really metal anymore but more pop metal/hard rock. Then they were losing the glam image too by that time. It is a tough call.

Cool

I said mostly metal some glam as well. They did have the glam look at one time, but for the most part they seem like hard rock/metal to me...

I voted for mostly metal and some glam. The dark stuff (drugs, destruction, satanism, life on the mean streets) seems to go a bit beyond the standard glam fare to me, balancing the "girls, girls, girls".

Without a doubt, mostly glam with some metal. I love the Crue, but we can't really call them a metal band.

Example, could you ever see a traditional metal band (i.e. Maiden, Priest, Saxon, Dio) doing a songs like "Without You" "On With The Show" "Don't Go Away Mad" or "Merry Go Round"? They had their moments when they metalled out, but for the most part they were glam.

I think you would have to break them down by record. Surely Theater of Pain was all glam, but SHOUT AT THE DEVIL was metal (at least to me). Sure GIRLS was mostly glam with a LITTLE metal, but Generation Swine was almost all Metal and a little industrial thrown in. It all depends on the Album. I would just say they were a hard rock band!
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government" - Thomas Jefferson.

Given the choices, I had go with mostly metal with some glam.

Pagan has an excellent point about traditional metal though. Bands like Maiden or Saxon would probably never do songs like that, which is why I say given the choices.

Jasper has a great point too. It really depends on what album you're looking at and listening to.

I would have to classify Crue as hard rock with pop metal edges. Please remember I suck at catagorizing bands beyond Like em or Hate em.

Great poll Sal!
    ~foxxy~

*Nite Crue Outlaw*
    **Cyber Sis of Ther*Reck's Wonder Twin*Jen's Pub Twin*That Girl Next Door**
    **Best Friend & Partner in Crime of Savedge1....Bangstress supreme**
    **RetromaN's Picnic Queen**
    **Iluvthe80s, Trixter & LadyMysTrix's 3D buddy and gal pal**

Mostly metal with some glam.
    Take me back to the 80's!

80'saholic!

fan of all thing's horror
    especially vampires

I chose mostly metal and some glam. I must confess I didn't listen to a ton of MC back in the day, but I wouldn't say they were hard metal. There are so many different categories of music now that I have to agree with Foxxy....beyond "Like 'Em or Hate 'Em", I have trouble with this subject.

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?
    I don't know. I lost my psychic abilities when they stole my superhero powers.

I said "mostly metal and some glam". They reached a balance...in the beginning their look was glam, but I always thought they were metal.
    Always an 80's girl! // I Sold My Soul To Rock 'N Roll // Don't Let Real Rock Die
    Stalkee of Ted Nugent!
    Stalker of the charming and sweet Guancho!
    Adopted by Pagan!
    Dad - I love you now & always. 1945 - 2002...RIP
    If wantin' the good life is such a crime...Lord, then put me away!
    - Poison, "Nothing But A Good Time"
    My teachers didn't like me
    They always tried to put me down
    'Cause I wore my hair too long
    I played my music way too loud
    - Bon Jovi, "Blame It On The Love Of Rock 'N Roll"

Not wishing to offend anyone but, I never was a big fan of the Crue. I liked a few of their songs, but I wouldn't consider them metal, by any means. They are glam, with a bit of metal at times.
    Trixter

Mostly metal... some glam.

Originally posted by Taz
    Mostly metal... some glam.
    ***shakes his head***

I don't see Motley Crue as metal, but I also don't see them as glam, I see them as hard rock. Yes they wore the makeup and teazed their hair, but the sound and the lyrics were a little more hard and edgy that a Poison or Cinderella especially in their early days. I don't think all non heavy metal bands are are hard rock are glam ie Def Leppard, AC/DC and Guns N Roses
    Topcats Buddy
    Bogie' Arch Nemesis

Mostly metal....some glam IMO

Originally posted by Jasper
    .......but Generation Swine was almost all Metal and a little industrial thrown in.......
    That cd blows harder than a $2 whore. I can't believe they redid Shout at the Devil

Miss you Grandma Ruth
    R.I.P. Scott a.k.a. "Bear" ~ 1962-2006 Miss ya buddy
    Please don't drive drunk.... The life you lose may not be yours!
    One Nation Under GOD indivisible with liberty and justice for all
    ".....Solitaire, Alone I stand, It's all so clear, impressions you falsely take command.
    I'm not like you, there's more than meets the eye in me.......I'm an outcast....." Lizzy Borden - Outcast
    "Now you might take offense to the words like f.uck or shit, but you f.uckin' don't have the right to discriminate me for saying it'' - Anthrax - Starting up a posse
    Official stalker of Jazzmyn ......Come and get some Not Man Lovin'

Originally posted by Not Man
    Mostly metal....some glam IMO

That cd blows harder than a $2 whore. I can't believe they redid Shout at the Devil
    Really Jasp...."Swine" was the closest I've heard to Motley being alternative! Believe it or not, the most metal Motley ever was was on the album with Corabi. That CD rocked the shit out of my speakers!

Being a Crue fan back in my younger daze, I think it's far to say they kinda "morphed' from one style to another both musically and image wise. Thus making it very difficult to say no way or another.

I mean at the beginning you could say they were more glam than metal and then became more metal than glam when Shout At The Devil was released.

From there they retained their glam image, but vastly changed their music style on Theatre.

Girls Girls Girls and Dr Feelgood showed a more stadium size rock and roll approach musically and they hardened up their image somewhat, and so on right through to their alternative turn on Generation Swine.

None the less they have always rocked, but it was sad to see Tommy Lee leave. He's a great musician and had a lot to do with the direction the band took (more in a good way than a bad one).

SPAMITY

I think Motley is mostly glam (much in the same way early Alice Cooper was. Motley cites Cooper as a major influence). However, they are slightly heavier than some of the 80's pop metal bands. I actually think if any band got labeled glam but were actually more metal it's Skid Row.
    Hard rock and metal forever.

i could never regard motley crue as a mostly metal band...i would say glam with a little metal...but it does vary the degree of glamness for each album

these are my ratios for some of their albums (glam:metal ratio)
    too fast for love- 50:50
    shout at devil - 30:70
    theatre pain - 80:20
    girls - 80:20
    dr feelgood - 60:40

adding it up we get 300:200 or 60:40

i kinda lost interest in motley crue after that, especailly after vince got dumped
    not sponsored

I thought they were mostly glam and some metal. I may be wrong, but I thought they were kinda the start of the glam band era.
    Judas Priest Fan For Life

AMERICA, land of the FREE and BRAVE

Proud Papa of Emily and Zachary, they are both my Angels.

A CLEVELAND BROWNS FAN SINCE BIRTH, till death do us part.

Partner in crime and drinking buddy to Prefab Sprouter

The Crown Prince of Perv

"So it's sorta social. Demented and sad, but social, right?" BC-1985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information