Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 322

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Question about Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" video

80s Forum: Question about Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" video

Smile Question about Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" video

In the video they show clips of two other videos, one by "First Floor" called "Baby, Baby" and one by the "Ian Pearson Band" called "Sally."

I can't find any evidence that these 2 bands ever existed. Did they? Or were these bands made up? If they were made up, then who are the bands that are actually in those videos?

Thanks,
    -Rich!

According to Pop-Up Video, they really did exist. If I remember correctly, First Floor was a band from somewhere like Hungary and thought they were filming an actual video for themselves....

Thanks Chris,

Anyone else know anything about these supposed bands?

-Rich!

Re: Question about Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" video

Ian Pearson worked for Rushes Post-Production where he animated the computer-generated characters for the music video Money for Nothing by Dire Straits. The reference to the "Ian Pearson Band" was simply a plug for him and the work that he did on the video.

I don't know about the reference to "First Floor", but I expect it had something to do with the apartment (a first floor flat) shared by John Illsley and David Knopfler when the band first formed.

Now for some tough trivia: Can anyone name the actress that appeared in the "Ian Pearson Band" video that we've been discussing?

Enough with the suspense! Who was the actress??? Always liked her part in the video...

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon_Chris View Post
    According to Pop-Up Video, they really did exist. If I remember correctly, First Floor was a band from somewhere like Hungary and thought they were filming an actual video for themselves....
    Here is the Pop-Up Video in question:
    http://www.spinthebottle.com/pop-up-...ey-for-nothing
    While they say the band thought they were filming a real video, according to Wikipedia and other sources the video was real.
    Videos within the video
    Two other music videos are also featured within "Money for Nothing," to correspond with the lyrics. The Hungarian pop band Első Emelet and their video "Állj Vagy Lövök" ("Stop or I'll Shoot") appears as "Baby, Baby" by "First Floor" during the second verse (The name "első emelet" translates to "first floor"). The other is a fictional, supposed MTV video for "'Sally' by the Ian Pearson Band" (Pearson was one of the animators of the video) which also contains scenes shot in Budapest, Hungary.
    So, the "Sally" video is fake, but the other one exists. Only the English version of the song is on YouTube and it comes with a different video.
    The closest videos on YouTube are these ones -- the lead singers is dressed in the same red sleeveless shirt as seen on the Money For Nothing video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exSeJdQj-pE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FWEuOlyIEw

Thread Information